Australians Overwhelmingly Support R18+ Rating

GothMatt

Feb 3, 2010
Damn right they need the 18+ rating. I think it's ridiculous that they don't have it already.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
Let's see someone throw out the results of an election because only the people who care about the election voted, and by completely logical extension, the other candidate should win by default.

Yes, that makes PERFECT SENSE!

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
I hope they don't pull some shit where their gov't denies the rating classification because of the considerable number of people who didn't vote, would have wanted it that way. I can just see that happening.

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
The thing is, not having an 18+ rating is ridiculous. I assume that Australia doesn't ban or water down R-rated movies? What's so different about those two things? They're still seeing blood, gore, nudity, and people generally being dicks to each other, its just that you're not actually interacting with the action in a movie. Kids aren't supposed to be able to get into either, but they do, and nothing can change that.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"The Attorney General of South Australia predicted that the response would show overwhelming support because the only people who would care enough to get involved would be gamers - and that the rest of the public couldn't give a damn one way or the other."

Hmm, large emphasis on the last point, THEY DON'T CARE.

So lots of people want it, and everyone else doesn't care. How the hell is Atkinson trying to interpret "can't be bothered" as "we're opposed to it"

That's like disputing whether Obama should have won the US Presidential election just because the turnout of eligible voters was only 61%... as if the other 39% would all have voted for McCain or something.

What bollocks.

Though I do fully retract a certain "fuck you" to the people of Australia... turns out you're an all right bunch and really I should have known that all along as I have known so many thoroughly decent Aussies in my life... thankfully I have never had the misfortune to meet Atkinson or his type.

meowface

Feb 10, 2010
evil_lincoln said:
Nevyrmoore said:
chishandfips said:
Nevyrmoore said:
Unless Michael Atkinson decides "Okay, fine, have your 18+ rating!", then nothing will change until someone else takes his place.
Isn't the whole idea of democracy that if the votes are in favour of R18+, Atkinson can't do a damn thing about it?
See, here's the thing - the public do NOT actually vote on this matter. The way the system currently works is that in order for major changes such as this to go through, there needs to be a unanimous vote from all the Attorney Generals. To date, the only Attorney General voting no is Atkinson.

As such, the only way this will go through is if (and that's a big if) Mr. Atkinson changes his mind, or if the next person to take his place does not share his thoughts on the matter. Until then, nothing will change.
There is a South Australian state election on March 20th this year. If the Liberals can win this Atkinson will no longer be the S.A Attorney General as the main requirement for the position is being a member of cabinet. So hopefully the Liberals win and manage to replace him with someone as not hell bent on censorship as Atkinson is.
Just to make this known, there is a political party set up in the electorate that Mr Atkinson is in, founded by an avid and passionate gamer, and is a pretty smart guy too.. the party is called Gamers4Croydon and you can find their site at http://www.gamers4croydon.org/

I wish them all the best of luck, although winning may seem unlikely I really hope they can get the message across well enough to dislodge Atkinson from his seat of power..

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
RikSharp said:
michael atkinson: "we can't have a public vote, they will vote against me cos its only the people that the current rules affect that care enough to vote"

i think thats kind of the point...
the people that it affects want to tell you that they want new rules.
going by the numbers, looks like they are doing just that.
So you think, then the others are not fulfilling their duty of living in a democratic state.
If your country holds a public vote on some issue and you can´t be arsed to look into it and maybe decide for a side and go vote for it, then you fail as a citizen and shouldn´t be complaining when the side that actually DID bother to go vote voted against your will!
You are lucky australia even DOES a vote on that matter, i still have to suffer from a spectacular form of dictatorship that changes it´s faces every 4 years, or not, for that matter...

I feel so distant from the politics in my country, and so fucking pissed off about them deciding stuff that the PEOPLE should decide in the first place, FOR THE PEOPLE, all for their "good" of course!
The big fat "For citizen and fatherland" on the Reichstag used to mean something back in the 50ies-70ies, but not that!

But i´m heaviely strafing off course so let me just say that ANY vote done publically is REPRESENTING the mindset of the people...the ones who DON´T go voting don´t care anyway and can therefore be ignored.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
this is indeed a step in the right dirction for australian gamers, and their government in general.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
lol @ Atkinson

how does a man like that (extremely predjudice) get into office?

and as many have stated the people who vote are the ones who care/are affected by it - which is the point of having a vote. seems like Atkinson is anti-democracy. try him for treason!!!!

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Chrinik said:
RikSharp said:
michael atkinson: "we can't have a public vote, they will vote against me cos its only the people that the current rules affect that care enough to vote"

i think thats kind of the point...
the people that it affects want to tell you that they want new rules.
going by the numbers, looks like they are doing just that.
So you think, then the others are not fulfilling their duty of living in a democratic state.
If your country holds a public vote on some issue and you can´t be arsed to look into it and maybe decide for a side and go vote for it, then you fail as a citizen and shouldn´t be complaining when the side that actually DID bother to go vote voted against your will!
You are lucky australia even DOES a vote on that matter, i still have to suffer from a spectacular form of dictatorship that changes it´s faces every 4 years, or not, for that matter...

I feel so distant from the politics in my country, and so fucking pissed off about them deciding stuff that the PEOPLE should decide in the first place, FOR THE PEOPLE, all for their "good" of course!
The big fat "For citizen and fatherland" on the Reichstag used to mean something back in the 50ies-70ies, but not that!

But i´m heaviely strafing off course so let me just say that ANY vote done publically is REPRESENTING the mindset of the people...the ones who DON´T go voting don´t care anyway and can therefore be ignored.
i agree entirely, i was pointing out that mr atkinson was against a public vote because he knew that the vote would put him in the minority. (assuming we are not counting the non voters)
i am all for the 18 rating and i love on the other side of the world.
i am against censorship and believe in good parenting to stop little kiddies running around cussing while "Pwning n00bs" on the latest modern warefare (for example)

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Shoudn't it only be Gamers that matter? If the parents of kids below 18 cared then they would have sent their response as well.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
PhiMed said:
SirBryghtside said:
John Funk said:
Of those 1,084, only 11 had been against the idea of a R18+ rating: less than 1%.
Actually, a little more than 1% - 1.46 recurring percent, to be exact.

But anyway, I really hope this comes into play - I'm no Aussie, but I really feel they need justice on this.
Wait... I can tell it's more than one percent, but 1.46? That can't be right. That's almost 1 and a half percent.

(Calculates 11/1084)

Nope, it's 1.014%.

I think what you did was divide 1084 by eleven, giving 98.54 recurring (meaning 1084 is 9855% of eleven when you round up) and subtract from 100, which is a meaningless number.

So your statement that it is not less than 1% is correct, but your math is wrong.

Sorry, but I was an accounting major.

Good work ;-D

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
Hopefully they get the R18+ rating, I would hate to have to play stipped down versions of M rated games.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Hey, Atkinson. That sinking feeling your getting? Yeah, that's what we on the internet call fail.

...gosh I hope this goes through...

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
John Funk said:
Of those 1,084, only 11 had been against the idea of a R18+ rating: less than 1%.
Actually, a little more than 1% - 1.46 recurring percent, to be exact.

But anyway, I really hope this comes into play - I'm no Aussie, but I really feel they need justice on this.
*slap* you accountant... and to be fair, everywhere else has a 18+ rating (as far as I am aware), can it be that wrong for australia to catch up?

p.s. I don't know what their system of scoring is, if they have a 18+ equivalent then I am talking out my ar*e, but feel free to correct me.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
Hmm just to say it but there was no vote actually taken. It was a survey and it holds as much legal validity as a piece of tissue paper.

Now about the alleged point that Atkinson had. Yes he would have a point if the difference had been something like a 20/80 spread or even 10/90 but we are talking a 1/99 split. If we ignored 90% of the people that was for it (the people that are angriest shout the loudest but does not make them right) It would still be roughly a 10/90 spread. If you then factor in that gamers are probably a little better at spreading information then your average person, we can safely cut the remaining people for the rating in half. And still we have an overwhelming majority for the rating (roughly 83%).

When you can do this amount of number juggling and STILL get a vast majority against you, there is no argument about statistical irregularities that is going to help you. All this however is of course moot. Mr. Atkinson holds the power on this subject and unless other governmental bodies are willing to put political pressure on him I don't think he is going to change his vote.