Australians Overwhelmingly Support R18+ Rating

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I'm rooting for Atkinson :)
Having so many games banned in Australia would be a boon to the pirate scene.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
evil_lincoln said:
There is a South Australian state election on March 20th this year. If the Liberals can win this Atkinson will no longer be the S.A Attorney General as the main requirement for the position is being a member of cabinet. So hopefully the Liberals win and manage to replace him with someone as not hell bent on censorship as Atkinson is.
Unfortunately Atkinson has said somewhere along the long, sorry I can' remember exactly when, that the Liberal candidate for South Australia's Attorney-General position doesn't support an R18+ for games either, so we're kind of screwed. Atkinson freaking thanked him in a press statement the cock.

It's been said by about 90% of the posters in this topic but I have to say it too. Of course the only people who vote for it are the people it affects. If back in the 50s and 60s when indigenous Australians were trying to secure their right to vote, they would obviously be the majority of people who support it. The rest of the country doesn't give a damn about an R18 rating because it has no bearing on them. Why the fuck do you care Atkinson?

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
funksobeefy said:
I really think that a one percent majority is a good sign that they dont want this.

Also all Australians should vote against this kinda censorship, it can transfer so easily across media forms and you could lose the right to free speech.

I actually dont know if you guys have a first amendment like free speech, but you should create one.
This has actually happened, recently there was a ban on advertisement and display of 18+ movies, ie you couldn't advertise, and purchasing the dvd will have a blank cover with the movie title, no authentic packaging, they are also relocated into a different section.

and in Late January/Early February, Atkinson brought in legislation where any person with a political opinion on the upcoming election MUST reveal their identity, however this was reversed at 10pm the same night it was released when Atkinson received an overwhelming negative reponse from the South Australian public.

Its becoming more apparent that this guy is on a power trip.

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
This is what you get when the irristable force of FOR THE CHILDREN (bereaucratic prick) meets the immoveable object of NOT IN MY BACKYARD (gamers)

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Atkinson will keep to his story no matter what, so I don't see how an argument about him being wrong has to do with anything. Does Australia not have the radio/tv shows bashing this guy every day like what would happen here? "No more M rating" would be the death of that politician's career on the spot.

Blade Chunk

Feb 2, 2010
So you need another label to protect adults from games?

Well if it gets you the real games all for it.

Even if the Aussie government is Pro-zombie.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
You gotta remember, it's all null and void because Michael Atkinson said our opinions don't matter...

I do love how 11 people said they don't want it. I get Michael paid people to say no.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
If they banned 18+ videogames, they'd better be consistent and ban 18+ movies, books and TV shows too, otherwise what's the point?

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
SteelStallion said:
I don't get why it's such an issue.

Can't you guys like, use Steam or Direct2Drive and just get as much uncensored crap as you want? Or is it mainly the console users who are bitter about it?
You actually can't get the uncensored version off of Steam unless the game is gifted to you from another region, such as the US. No idea about Direct2Drive.

Unfortunately, even with an overwhelming majority of voters in favour of an 18+ rating, Atkinson might just be a prick and toss out the public opinion vote because only a small portion of the population of Australia cared to vote. Ironically, M rated games tend to be far less violent and gory than movies than any movie of the same rating, and full-on nudity simply does not exist in mainstream gaming. Unfortunately, Atkinson seems to think that niche ero-games from Japan make up a majority of the gaming market, and he's on a crusade to make gaming about as sterile as China's legal gaming scene. Of course, all that's going to do is provoke rampant piracy... I mean, just look at China.

Lethithan

Nov 11, 2008
The same argument can be made that if people opposed to the including of the restriction can vote, and they care about it enough, they will vote. As it stands, 99% of people who care enough to vote say yes, and 1% of people caring enough to vote say no.

Balaxe

Mar 24, 2009
Would'nt it only be 10 people because the AG vote must be in there and there's no way he's human, not with those teeth.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Well this is certainly not the newsflash article of the year. Everyone in Australia who knows about this issue supports the damn idea. Whether Atkinson predicted this or not is irrelevant. As the saying goes in the grass-roots movement against censorship in this country, Australia is not China. We will not accept a dictatorial attitude - you are with the people, or you are against the people, and will be voted in or out as such. That's democracy.

Even though our Attorney-General might enjoy the support of the Australian public on other issues, if gamers are vocal enough to make a difference (and they are), then his government might be surprised by the voter turn out for minor parties who are against most censorship, like the Greens, come the next election. So surprised, they fall out of their chairs, and pass over government to the Liberal Party, who will be worse about the whole thing.

As long as this doesn't result in votes for the Liberal Party because of uninformed people who don't realise how much worse THEY would make it, I'm glad that gamers have finally found a reason to really get involved in politics in this country.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Why should it make a diff who votes? Is that not like saying an election is invalid because 60% of voters stayed at home? No vote, no voice as it were. If the rest of Oz don't care, surely that means they're aren't against it?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
chishandfips said:
Nevyrmoore said:
Unless Michael Atkinson decides "Okay, fine, have your 18+ rating!", then nothing will change until someone else takes his place.
Isn't the whole idea of democracy that if the votes are in favour of R18+, Atkinson can't do a damn thing about it?
That is indeed the idea. It's a pity it doesn't work. Still, this hopefully means that the voting will go the same way. I helped with those statistics, but I can't vote yet...

selce

Nov 27, 2007
GameGoddess101 said:
This is ridiculous... I'm going to be doing my internship in South Australia!! If this R18+ doesn't get passed, Imma gonna be PIIISSSEDD!!!!

But go Aussies!! I mean, it's clear that they want an R18+ rating, but who exactly are they protecting by not having one?? That's my question.
Atkinson is trying to protect the millions of lives that will be lost during the abrupt shootings that will occur the moment this is passed. You do not understand the effect seeing red pixels has on our frail young minds!

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
selce said:
GameGoddess101 said:
This is ridiculous... I'm going to be doing my internship in South Australia!! If this R18+ doesn't get passed, Imma gonna be PIIISSSEDD!!!!

But go Aussies!! I mean, it's clear that they want an R18+ rating, but who exactly are they protecting by not having one?? That's my question.
Atkinson is trying to protect the millions of lives that will be lost during the abrupt shootings that will occur the moment this is passed. You do not understand the effect seeing red pixels has on our frail young minds!
Of course, because if it's in video games, clearly the mass public will think its ok and go shooting EVERYONE!! For the extra points, you know. I'm so glad you have saved me, sir, from a rapidly ended life and allowed me to see the error of my hedonist, gamer ways. I bow to you, sir, and indeed owe you my life.

Clearly, Atkinson is God.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I honestly feel bad for Atkinson now.

He stands up for what he believes in, and everyone hates him for it.

Of course he does it rudely and thats why I don't like him.

Kickserve

Mar 20, 2009
I completely agree with everyone else on this site about the rating and the whole scenario, but that doesn't really matter.

These statistics are meaningless. There is always a huge bias in these types of things, they might as well have a poll on this website. There needs to be a properly conducted survey if they actually want to find out what the majority thinks...which is still hopefully that the 18+ rating should exist.