Australia's R18+ Classification Starts Today

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
seule said:
John Rau is attorney-general in South Australia, a state of Australia... not AG for the whole country, i know, nitpicking... :)
Not at all. Mistake has been fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009

I can't wait for (hopefully) the re-releases of games like Left 4 Dead 2.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I'm really happy for the Australians. I hope some of you gaming Aussies out there are celebrating!

now part of me wishes I could afford to emigrate to Australia.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Congrats to Australia! Hopefully this means you guys can start getting some of the awesome awesome violence and mayhem that the rest of us get to enjoy! Blood! Blood everywhere!!!!!!

...ahem. Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away.

Now once you convince game companies that $120 for new games is atrocious :p
Too right mate.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
SoulSalmon said:
So what exactly is the difference between "Adult Only" and "18+" in a country where 18 is the adult age?
I want to know this too. I think the US ratings system may be slightly bonkers. Looking it up on Wikipedia, they've got the standard Universal, Parental Guidance, but then they've got 10+, 13+(?), 17+, 18+ (?)

I'm not sure what magical processes happen between 17 and 18 =D

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Well, you see, over here it was the 1st of Jan 2013 Yesterday, but W/E, this is finally a good thing happening to Australian gaming. Now all we need is fair prices that don't include shipping it in from the UK and we might actually be close to equal with the rest of the world in games, but I don't really see that happening.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
WWmelb said:
Metalrocks said:
well, thats a start. took these idiots long enough.
since i live in australia, i was hoping for a R rating. at least i got my self the uncut version from L4D2 from ebay but good to know that i can get uncut versions now.

but im wondering my self now too what games will get a R label on which originally were 15.
You will only be able to get an uncut version if the publishers re-submit the game for classification in it's original form. Doubtful that they will, as most sales of the game would have already been done, and the cost/reward for resubmitting would probably not be worth it.
i was referring to future games. the older once i have already which i got from ebay if it was cut here like L4D2.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Kiwi here (those bunch of islands to your south-east), I congratulate you! One small step for games, one giant step for Yahtz--I mean Australians.

EgonCom

Aug 5, 2009
Under the new law, publishers can submit video games for consideration for the R18+ category, and games that have been refused classification before can be resubmitted, providing at least two years have passed since the original rejection. There is still no equivalent of an "Adults Only" or "X" category, so any games deemed too violent (or, as is often the case, too sexually charged) for the R18+ rating can still end up in the "Refused Classification" ghetto.
I fail to see "so what changed?"

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
itchcrotch said:
About - buh-loody - time. Now all we need is too beat down the ludicrously over inflated game prices here and we're all set!
amen to that. im already happy if a game costs less then 60$. at least over xmas, the prices were pretty down. got my self guild wars 2 for nearly 70$ and originally it was nearly 100$.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
itchcrotch said:
I hear you man. I got Dishonoured for $70 as well, which is outstanding considering it's only a few months old.
thats weird. i already payed 70$ for it before xmas at ebgames. later on i think it was less then 60$. not sure anymore about the discount price but it was for cheaper then the original price which was 70$.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Hehehe Australia THAT'S not a rating system
THIS is a ratings system!
http://www.patrickscottpatterson.com/ESRB.png
Seriously what was the point of showing the US version that's the same thing now our R18+ is approved.

Timothy Callil

Aug 3, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Hehehe Australia THAT'S not a rating system
THIS is a ratings system!
http://www.patrickscottpatterson.com/ESRB.png
what, a shitty one where they won't sell AO games to people in store and as a result a fuckton of games that should get that rating don't get it?