Autistic UK Hacker faces being shipped out to the US.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Mekado said:
There are extradition treaties between some countries for a reason...either you follow them or you don't (and don't come crying when they'd want someone extradited to britain and the USA answers FU)
The USA tends to say FU quite a bit. The treaty needs scrapping. The Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives want it scrapping and rewriting but the Labour party blocked it. According to the treaty the US has to prove "reasonable suspicion" for extradition of a British citizen. To extradite an American from the US, British must prove "probable cause".

According to Joseph Gutheinz, US Lawyer and ex-NASA criminal investigator:

"In similar cases where Great Britain has tried to extradite an American to Great Britain to stand trial, there is a 20% less chance that that will happen. This is fundamentally unfair.

Gary McKinnon could be tried under British law to stand trial there, it's just that the British courts and the prosecutors... have deemed that not the appropriate response. I would say that's poor thinking on the part of the British government.

Sometimes allies can agree to disagree; sometimes we can advocate for the best interests of our own citizens against the desires of the other country"

And Joseph Gutheinz is American.

Mekado said:
Thrown in jail with murderers ? you realize all prisons aren't maximum-security right ? and no, they don't send hackers to "the hole" where you get shower-raped daily and shanked if you look at someone funny.
Its a Federal crime he "breached national security". He will not be going to county jail. All because the pentagon has egg on its face. Personally I believe the Tech guys at the Pentagon should be fired. He should be tried in the UK. Its the equivalent of the Americans saying that the UK justice system is inadequate. We have anti espianage laws too.

Having said that, I think the British courts would make an example of him to keep the peace anyway.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
that's a bit harsh. He didn't know the severity of what he was doing, he couldn't stop himslef, and now america's all like: yeah, he did something bad, we don't care if he's retarded, just bring him in.

In my humble opinion.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:
Holy shit... 60 years? Do you know the sentence for the UK?
On average, around 3 years for what the UK justice system calls "small-scale computer misuse".

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Amnestic said:
Mazty said:
Even with Aspergers, he knew he was breaking the law and therefore should be treated as the criminal he is.
He should be given to the US as frankly the UK judicial system is nothing short of a joke.
Hah, and you think the US is any better? Please.

well the guy needs to be tried in America
Why? Is killing an American during a mugging on British soil also worthy of extradition as it's "attacking America"?
Yes, If some British guy got killed by an american on american soil, than his ass should be shipped off to Britain...

But this incident, with the hacking isn't in the same sense as your *example.* He hacked through americas files, that were located on American soil. So yes he should be tried in America.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
antiwheat said:
Targetted? Don't be so bloody overdramatic! He didn't harm anybody. He didn't even attempt to harm anybody. The US is just embarrassed as they can't even look after their own security effectively, despite the stupid amounts of money they waste on the military.
Targeted: To establish as an aim or goal.

Dramatic nothing, it's what he did. That he 'meant no harm' is not and never has been a valid defence, the fact that he merrily broadcast to the world exactly how he did it doesn't help either. His arguments about his aspergers fall down because (regardless of what the press and his lawyers say right now) it is mild, he's appealed and the experts say he's more than fit for trial.
I agree with you that the Americans are embaressed about it and have set out to make an example of him, that it's quite petty and they should really be doing more important things. Unfortunately that's not what's going on trial, it Mr McKinnon.

Would it interest you to know that the UK has the second highest military budget on a the planet and that on per soldier basis we spend a lot more than the US?

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
Goldeneye103X2 said:
that's a bit harsh. He didn't know the severity of what he was doing, he couldn't stop himslef, and now america's all like: yeah, he did something bad, we don't care if he's retarded, just bring him in.

In my humble opinion.
err, thats not your opinion, that is pretty much just a layman's summary of the incident.

The only justification provided has been 'rules is rules'.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
GodsOneMistake said:
Amnestic said:
Mazty said:
Even with Aspergers, he knew he was breaking the law and therefore should be treated as the criminal he is.
He should be given to the US as frankly the UK judicial system is nothing short of a joke.

Why? Is killing an American during a mugging on British soil also worthy of extradition as it's "attacking America"?
Yes, If some British guy got killed by an american on american soil, than his ass should be shipped of to Britain...

But this incident, with the hacking isn't in the same sense as your *example.* He hacked through americas files, that were located on American soil. So yes he should be tried in America.
Law dosen't work like that. The issue is that, since there really is no victim here, it is the act, rather than the victim, that is breaking/contradictory to the law. Ergo, British courts, mainly because I wouldn't trust an American to try anyone who could possibly be 'foriegn' in a fair manner.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
My heart goes out to him, as it does for all autistic people, but he did commit a crime, a fairly high-profile one at that, and everyone has to face the consequences for their actions.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Fondant said:
GodsOneMistake said:
Amnestic said:
Mazty said:

Yes, If some British guy got killed by an american on american soil, than his ass should be shipped of to Britain...

Law dosen't work like that. The issue is that, since there really is no victim here, it is the act, rather than the victim, that is breaking/contradictory to the law. Ergo, British courts, mainly because I wouldn't trust an American to try anyone who could possibly be 'foriegn' in a fair manner.
Okay thats it I'm tired, of everyone being stereotypical to Americans, I'm fucking moving...

But the law should work like that, If you have wronged me in some way, let me take care of the punishment not your family... (Thats seems like a good example if I do say so myself)

JacOak

Oct 9, 2008
If anything, the US should hire the guy. He's clearly gifted and has shown that there are flaws in the system. They should have him fix the flaws.
And besides, as a British citizen, he needs to be trie don British soil by the British.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
The thing with this extradition deal is that England never seems to use their side of it, and if we did, America would fight tooth and nail to stop it. They'd cry that it 'wasn't right' or that 'it's not that bad', or there'd be some legal loophole to exploit. But as soon as America wants one of our guys, our government opens wide.

Politics piss me off.

D.C.

Oct 8, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Honestly, the guy is playing up for the sympathy vote.
It's not the Guy thats oppose the extradition it's his family and interested citizens and MP's.
The Guy himself has not said a thing (im not sure whether he is unaware of whats happening or just not acting publicly).

BigKingBob said:
If some French person had organised a bomb attack on the tower of London, even without stepping foot on UK soil then the result would be the same, extradition.
As Far as im aware The man would not be extradited to The UK to Face trial, he would be banned from Entering British soil and left to the French to decide what to do with him. Any possible accomplaces/friends would be placed under survailance.

HG131 said:
I could care less where he's from. He could be an alien for all I care. And for that matter, I just want this to end, and the fastest way to do that is to lock up 1 person with a mental disorder who happens to have hacked the US. I'm not patriotic, but I don't like this guy hacking us. To tell the truth, I like the US mostly because of the rights.
How very nice justified/fair of you. Lock This guy up just because it's convenient for you. Then again this is the approach the US Gov is going about this case.

As Far as i Understand from the News shows and Papers:
The main points about this whole affair which The Guy's Lawyers and Family are opposing this Extradition for are These:
1) The Man did no damage to The USA's computer systems.

2) He is being used as an example to scare off other Hackers, When there have been plenty of other Hackers into those Servers who have done more damage and yet have not been prosocuted by the US including US citizens, Simply because this guy admitted to what he did.

3) Under British law the Crime took place in Britain and so does not lead to Extradition. Under American law what Happened is counted as a crime on American Soil and Does lead to Extradition. However The Man is a British Citizen and So British Law should apply before American in this case.

4) Under British Law all British Citizens and people who commit crime in the UK are guarrenteed a minimum standard of Quality in Prison, and if in a Foreign Country the quality is not met they must be extradited to the UK to serve their sentence in a British Jail: And The American Government cannot guarentee this Minimum standard will Be met.

All of which are valid points IMO

As far as I can see a fair solution would be to have the Man Trialed in America (of which he will be found guilty there is no denying it), and then to be returned to The UK to serve the penalty as long as it does not go (too far) beyond British punishment.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
jasoncyrus said:
Its not a serious disability he has.

He was competant enough to manage to hack into US government computers, hence competant enough to understand the consequences.

However I do disagree with shipping him off. He did it in the UK, I personally dont care what hackers do here to the US =P

If he'd hacked UK computers then yeah throw the book at him but meh.
well. all i have to say is you don't have to be extra-ordinary to hack the US government. you don't even need to be competent. you probably don't even need to have operated a computer before. lol. now don't get angry Americans. i'm one to. i just think that our government gets a FAIL FU. i mean seriously. God i want to move to Australia. fuck the 6 inch spiders and the poisonous trees. or the best beaches tax. i just want to get out of this frackus of a country.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
What's this guy's name, by the way? Because I heard earlier in the thread that he found out something about aliens and I am growing increasingly curious as to whether or not the upcoming movie District 9 is based on real events.

D.C.

Oct 8, 2008
GodsOneMistake said:
But the law should work like that, If you have wronged me in some way, let me take care of the punishment not your family... (Thats seems like a good example if I do say so myself)
Thats still Biased though.. A better solution would to have someone uninvolved.. a neutral party decide the punishment, that way all biasm is removed.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
D.C. said:
GodsOneMistake said:
Thats still Biased though.. A better solution would to have someone uninvolved.. a neutral party decide the punishment, that way all biasm is removed.
Fine lets let australia deal with all the criminals then, and then finland can have australia's criminals...... O.O Lets do it

Kazturkey

Mar 1, 2009
So this guy was good enough to get into America's secret files, but not good enough to cover his tracks? Odd.