Autumn, a game about rape

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
So I just saw an interesting trailer to say the least. I will let the developer speak for it:

"Autumn, which is still in development, is a game about the aftermath of an attack an sexual assault.

This is an experience that ask of its players to deal with a terrible situation, the vulnerability of a rape survivor. We believe that an interactive experience, where you walk in someone else's shoes, is the best medium to explain what words alone cannot. We also believe that games can be about meaningful, albeit difficult, topics. Capable of exploring uncomfortable and thought provoking subjects, just like film, literature and other media are capable of doing too."

The link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Dqvyt1Ewo (I have no idea how to embed)

So thoughts, comments? NO TROLLING or DERAILING.

Captcha: Words of Wisdom. It is the internet Captcha, no such thing exists. Or maybe you mean I should stop reading the UTUBE comment section.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
To embed; type youtube=M-Dqvyt1Ewo (just add brackets)

So like this (quote me if you don't get it to see the code)

I'm curious to see what comes of this. Much like Depression Question (back before all the fun of the event that shall not be named), it can be an interesting look into someone else's experiences and thoughts. I'm guessing however, like DQ, it'll end up not really making much of a name for itself since these experiences impact people in such different ways but there's nothing wrong with trying to relay one experience and the way that that particular person handled it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't know, seems a bit too on the nose, but maybe it'll have an effect on others.

Things like rape in games should probably be handled a bit more metaphorical than just 'You're raped now, feel bad/sad/scared'.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
first though that came to my head was "is there a male experience as well?"

second though was, yes this is pushing it too far, its like having an autism simulation (granted there's experiences but they aren't pushed as games) except this is playing on a traumatic event

what exactly do you "gain" from playing this "game" is it trying to make you understand a victims agony? (that would be insulting to say "i know how you feel") to make you more sympathetic? (unless you think its funny you'd be on the side of a true victim 100% (true as in its proven)

my theory is its trying to make cash on these traumatic events, which if true is quite sickening

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
That first part where you're being chased by that douche was creepy as fuck.

It's cool that someone is trying something like this, even if it isn't game I'd ever play personally.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
I don't know, seems a bit too on the nose, but maybe it'll have an effect on others.

Things like rape in games should probably be handled a bit more metaphorical than just 'You're raped now, feel bad/sad/scared'.
I agree, however the trailer does seem to account for it. I am somewhat interested in it, since it is such a heavy topic.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
It looks like something that might be good, but I also know that most games trying to explore certain traumatic or difficult experiences tend to be far more ambitious than the developers can handle, and the trailer sort of gives off an impression that they are trying to make it more than the clearly low budget will allow. With that said, if it can manage to be as good as Depression Quest or Loneliness and respects its subject matter, I'll definitely be pleased.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
Hubblignush said:
I don't really like it when games try to sell themselves on a particular gimmick like this, especially when the topic is very serious, and especially when the game looks like arse.

What's jsut wrong with writing an fucking story that deals with stuff like this, and sell it on the fact that it's actually a good story, because that's actually fucking rare in this industry.

Oh wait, my mistake, that'd take actual effort.
this is how I feel about Gone home, the game was built and looked like a scary game but in the end was a walking simulator that had a "message" at the end that just felt flat for me. Really unless this gone is going full haul to where we see the rape and there is more speaking in the game I might give this one a look but as it is the whole grey and black color for the game looks like it is trying way to hard to be arty.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Could either be really interesting or a massive and colossal fuck up.

Time will tell.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Another?! Didn't we say all we needed to say with The Path and Depression Quest?
I mean what perspective could this game offer that justifies its creation? What new ideas are they bringing? What, that rape is bad? Somehow I think people figured that out without another pretentious indie game.

Oh I'm sorry, it has Oculus Rift support and a cheap soundtrack! Brilliant! 11/10! If you don't buy it, you're just not smart enough to get it!

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Using VR to simulate realistic yet entirely horrifying situations is an interesting idea.

Sadly, this doesn't look like it's doing that very well.

It just looks... Overly pretentious. Added to the, the over-focus on the rape of the character just seems like a "You're a rape victim" rather than "You're a person who was rapped".

Also, the whole "Everything untextured" thing looks pretty dumb and more like they just lacked the skills/time to make a game with textures.

"We'll see" is probably the right claim I'd use to describe my feelings on it, but, frankly, it looks kinda bad.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Silentpony said:
Another?! Didn't we say all we needed to say with The Path and Depression Quest?
I mean what perspective could this game offer that justifies its creation? What new ideas are they bringing? What, that rape is bad? Somehow I think people figured that out without another pretentious indie game.

Oh I'm sorry, it has Oculus Rift support and a cheap soundtrack! Brilliant! 11/10! If you don't buy it, you're just not smart enough to get it!
Well we have something like 20 game about what it's like to be batman so you know. I think we have the space for a few more games like this.

Though my take on this idea is that is sounds kind of unplesent to play. I do like that people are making these walk a mile type games, but I don't know if I will want to play it myself.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I think this is an interesting idea, but that this won't be the game that executes that idea well.

Then again, it's difficult for me to really think of a way to make a concept like this work myself.

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
Silentpony: No game needs to justify it's creation. It's only whether the creators follow through and make it.

Watching the trailer, the start was great, white eyes on silhouette was a great for the whole "abstract unknown person who may do us harm" there was some nice horror gameplay that scared me while watching.

There rest... I didn't quite get: Being a rape survivor means you have Alice Syndrome? The taking pills was hardly emotionally resonant since we don't know what sort of pills they are or what they do. I liked the outdoor and bus scenes, they looked beautiful; sunwashed atmosphere in an open area, very relaxing. Ummmm, this is what it's like being a rape survivor.

It reminds of that game Among the Sleep, but I never played it so I don't know what it's like.

I think video game are powerful for putting us in the shoes of another person, and seeing things from their perspective (though, to be honest, I get more of these sort of experiences from books than games). However, something about the trailer makes me unsure... what experience the game is trying to give us. Heck, I remember a music video that gave me a much better idea of what it's like for a person with PTSD, than this trailer give me an idea of what it's like for a rape survivor.

I definitely think game can still deal with serious topics. I heard Dark Twin deals with bullying (though the challenge of getting a Dreamcast copy means I haven't played it), and Papo & Yo is still one of my favourite games for dealing with a serious issue, that the creator of the game went through, in a real and meaningful way, yet still being fun.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Silentpony said:
"Another" what?

What relevance do two entirely unrelated game have to this?

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Silvanus said:
Silentpony said:
"Another" what?

What relevance do two entirely unrelated game have to this?
I think they mean games that try to inform people about real life problems, or they might just mean anything outside of the usual wheelhouse of shooting things.

Kind of along that topic. How to you examine a game like this? Like it's so different then most games you can't even hold it to the most general ceria of fun. In fact I am very sure this kind of game shouldn't be fun, but apart from that I would have no idea.

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
I really don't understand how games like this are supposed to be powerful.

From the video description:
"We believe that an interactive experience, where you walk in someone else's shoes, is the best medium to explain what words alone cannot".

Not true. There is a reason why people say "the book is better than the movie", it allows our imagination to paint the picture for us. You can also describe a persons feeling or emotion at a much greater magnitude in words than your average actor or animator can convey on screen.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
vledleR said:
From the video description:
"We believe that an interactive experience, where you walk in someone else's shoes, is the best medium to explain what words alone cannot".

Not true. There is a reason why people say "the book is better than the movie", it allows our imagination to paint the picture for us. You can also describe a persons feeling or emotion at a much greater magnitude in words than your average actor or animator can convey on screen.
Well, it depends on the subject/theme/genre. Books are not simply a superior medium to film; they may be better suited in many respects, but the other forms do things books cannot.

Games (or 'interactive experiences') can make people feel as if they're actually present, almost experiencing the events first-hand, which is a feat books can't necessarily match. I tend to think that video games are generally a better medium for experiencing horror, for example.

nomotog said:
I think they mean games that try to inform people about real life problems, or they might just mean anything outside of the usual wheelhouse of shooting things.
That's what I assumed they meant, in which case, they're way off-message and certainly don't speak for me.