Avatar is out on DVD Now! YAY!!!

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
It's a boring movie that's at least 1 hour longer than it needs to be.
I'd rather watch a good movie in (regular) youtube quality than watch avatar again in HD.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Hobonicus said:
I'm not exaggerating when I say that I hate Avatar more than any other movie I've seen. Not because it's necessarily worse than any other film, but because of how overwhelmingly arrogant it is. It's just your usual flashy popcorn flick, no better than Transformers or Star Trek, but it's praised as such a revolutionary film from so many shallow perspectives.

I actually thought the acting was pretty good, and cinematography was probably above average. Unlike most, I hated the graphics. Granted I didn't see it in 3D (which shouldn't justify anything), but as a rule of thumb, if you know something is computer generated then they're doing it wrong, no matter how pretty it seems. This also ties in with how conceited the film is. Instead of filming in a jungle, or use makeup, they needlessly spend millions animating everything on a computer just because they've got money to burn. I even thought District 9 looked better graphically. In District 9, the Prawns looked real, but in Avatar everything is ridiculously smooth, and it's noticeable when the actors are shot next to a computer made being.

I could rant for days about how unoriginal, insulting, derivative, and boring this film is, but in the end it really boils down to it's arrogance. I usually try to let people have their say and ignore opinionated discussion, but Avatar is absolutely nothing special.

EDIT: before my argument becomes invalidated for sounding pretentious, I'd like to say that while I have seen a ton of movies, I have never taken a class on film theory, and my list of favorites is diverse while remaining mostly mainstream.
Everything but the bolded part is fine. I mean, it's your opinion and all. I definitely agree that practical effects are better than special effects, all things being equal. An effect shouldn't exist for its own sake, or we're all just being entertained by the movie equivalent of a fake fireworks display. It'd be interesting to see a jungle-filmed Avatar, if only because it'd remind me of Predator.

Avatar is no way as bad as Transformers. Now that's just mean. Examine both side-by-side, scene-by-scene and you will probably find that Avatar is not only more competently written, filmed and framed, but it is just all-around more tolerable to sit and watch. I was ready for Transformers to be over at the half hour mark. It's just offensively bad. To me, there's a huge difference between the "nothing special" of Avatar and the putrescence of Transformers.

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
shotgunbadger said:
JS ibanez said:
Yes we know its the same story as pocahontas or dances with wolves, stop being so pretentious. But so many films these days are the same film as something else or another. I guess hype is a bit of a curse then in that respect. Although James Cameron can always say "whats that? I cant hear you over my piles of money and highest grossing film ever"

Personally I enjoyed it because it looked cool. I enjoyed some good sci/fantasy action because thats what I expected from it. Nothing special story or drama wise, just fantastically good fun to watch

I work in a theatre in Vancouver and weve been showing Avatar since december and we still are showing it. It still sells out on weekends despite the fact that the entire world has seen it 5 times now. Its seriously looking like the first film thats going to be out on dvd and in the cinema simultaneously. I think I'll have to wait a while and forget about avatar for a while before I feel tempted to buy it on dvd
Yea I'm real stuck up mentioning that this "STUNNINGLY INNOVATIVE MOVIE" is nothing special beyond a tech-demo.

James Cameron makes a lot of money off a lot of shit movies, so yea I imagine by now he doesn't care so good point?

For god's sake, why not just get a pretty screensaver and stare at it if you want to turn your brain off and stare at 'duuur purdy graphix', why would you actively go pay someone to show you a 2 hour tech demo with racist undertones? I'm sure there's a very pretty gif of a cowboy raping a native that can do the same thing.
I dont believe I mentioned stunningly innovative. So dont shove words down my mouth.

Sure you can mock me for wanting to stare at pretty graphics and make like I'm some sort of retard. For one thing I happen to know that I'm not. Besdies its the same in the gaming world.

I dont really see anything wrong with wanting to watch something just because it looks good. Its the part of the reason why I enjoy being a in an interesting country, because it looks good. I dont mind switching off for a bit, its called relaxing. You seem to imply the ONLY reason why I'd ever watch a movie is just because it looks pretty. Like I've never watched an intelligent movie in my life.

You seem to not like movies with racist undertones so hows about not being unjustifiably aggressive to people with different opinions hmm?

Oh and I didnt pay to go see it. I watch movies for free.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Samurai Goomba said:
Hobonicus said:
I'm not exaggerating when I say that I hate Avatar more than any other movie I've seen. Not because it's necessarily worse than any other film, but because of how overwhelmingly arrogant it is. It's just your usual flashy popcorn flick, no better than Transformers or Star Trek, but it's praised as such a revolutionary film from so many shallow perspectives.

I actually thought the acting was pretty good, and cinematography was probably above average. Unlike most, I hated the graphics. Granted I didn't see it in 3D (which shouldn't justify anything), but as a rule of thumb, if you know something is computer generated then they're doing it wrong, no matter how pretty it seems. This also ties in with how conceited the film is. Instead of filming in a jungle, or use makeup, they needlessly spend millions animating everything on a computer just because they've got money to burn. I even thought District 9 looked better graphically. In District 9, the Prawns looked real, but in Avatar everything is ridiculously smooth, and it's noticeable when the actors are shot next to a computer made being.

I could rant for days about how unoriginal, insulting, derivative, and boring this film is, but in the end it really boils down to it's arrogance. I usually try to let people have their say and ignore opinionated discussion, but Avatar is absolutely nothing special.

EDIT: before my argument becomes invalidated for sounding pretentious, I'd like to say that while I have seen a ton of movies, I have never taken a class on film theory, and my list of favorites is diverse while remaining mostly mainstream.
Everything but the bolded part is fine. I mean, it's your opinion and all. I definitely agree that practical effects are better than special effects, all things being equal. An effect shouldn't exist for its own sake, or we're all just being entertained by the movie equivalent of a fake fireworks display. It'd be interesting to see a jungle-filmed Avatar, if only because it'd remind me of Predator.

Avatar is no way as bad as Transformers. Now that's just mean. Examine both side-by-side, scene-by-scene and you will probably find that Avatar is not only more competently written, filmed and framed, but it is just all-around more tolerable to sit and watch. I was ready for Transformers to be over at the half hour mark. It's just offensively bad. To me, there's a huge difference between the "nothing special" of Avatar and the putrescence of Transformers.
You're right, I did go overboard there :p

As a movie, Avatar is definitely better than Transformers, I was grasping for recent mainstream sci-fi movies that focused on visuals.

Downfall89

Aug 26, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
No. I refuse to watch this on TV. The whole point of the movie was to look pretty, and I saw it on Imax. I've been spoiled, so I won't be getting it.
Exactly man. After watching it in VMAX (Adelaide's equivalent to IMAX, besides it's slightly downsized) there is no way I could replicate that in my house.

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
Furburt said:
Proverbial Jon said:
You cannot pick out one aspect of it and hack it appart, that's not fair.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to say. Avatar is a textbook definition of 'More than the sum of its parts'. Each element taken out of context, plot, characterizations for example, is pretty mediocre, but when it all came together on the screen, I was filled with a sense of wonder I haven't felt since I was a child.

I really think the Avatar debate is a debate between two separate ways of watching films, those that take each element and observe it on its own, the cinematography, the effects, the plot, are going to come away disappointed, certainly.

But, those who don't do that, those who take the film as an experience and rate it solely on how much it entertains them (like me), are going to come away loving it.

So in conclusion, neither side's right or wrong, Avatar just is a film that shows it up well, the divide between the two watching styles.

So please, stop flaming about it everyone. I've seen more heated debates about this then debates about things that actually matter, like Israel or the economy.
I dont think I could have put it that well if I tried. +1 thumbs up kudos props and all manner of other positive reactions to this post.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Hooray now people will finally be able to see the alien sex scene! And by people I of course mean me.

Ahem, on a serious note, this film seems to bring out the begrudging hate in some people. I'm yet to work out why. I mean okay, critisisms considered, it is a mish-mash of films seen before, (Pocahontas/Fern Gully/Dancing With Wolves/something else,) and sure it is little substance buried under eye-candy. If there are other conplaints just assume I include them here. Racism? Really? Fuck I didn't pick up on that, must have taken some soul-searching "I-want-to-find-a-way-to-be-offended-by-this". Or some massive misunderstandings. Or both.

But c'mon, it's a piece of Hollwood glitter, what do you expect? I didn't pay much attention to the story when I saw it but the eye-candy was teriffic. Why do people go to cinemas if not to revel in that kind of shit, Hell I know the only reason I go to the movies now is to see some special-effect-laced popcorn blockbuster and Avatar delivered.

So why the hate? The "refusing to see this movie"? The only thing I can see is some kind of jealousy that this film somehow doesn't deserve it's popularity. So what? Nor did Crazy Frog. And yeah, Avatar is overhyped, it had critics spilling their guts with praise and maybe, yeah, at a film that perhaps didn't deserve all it got. But who the fuck cares? So Jim Cameron can afford six extra mansions now, good for him.

Point is, Avatar didn't rape your sister. It's a so-so story dressed up in impressive special effects. Nothing more. You can either see it, enjoy it for what it is and move on or somehow be offended by it, it's success or both and ***** about how it's really not all that and a bag of potato chips. Nobody cares - except forum-goers who are bored and are on too much of a suger-high to go to sleep looking to start a debate just... 'cause.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
May pick it up when it gets cheaper and I can find it.
Twas a good movie and I think it'll be worth watching again. Just wish I saw it in 3D. *Sad face*

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Furburt said:
Sassafrass said:
May pick it up when it gets cheaper and I can find it.
Twas a good movie and I think it'll be worth watching again. Just wish I saw it in 3D. *Sad face*
They're re-releasing it in July I think, it's going in cinemas in 3D with an extra 15-20 minutes of footage.
Ah, thank you for that information. Perhaps I can convince a buddy to go and take me with him, paying for everything. :p

confessor

Aug 2, 2009
Yay, a pile of vomit is about to come screaming onto peoples TV's.
Well that is a bit harsh, at least it will be a cinematic pile of vomit.
Even if it is mostly blue.

airsoftmanic

Aug 6, 2008
i liked the film because i already knew about the bad story from the beginning so i went in with my "blank slate" approach to watching films (i.e. i go in and try to forget other similar scripted movies so i can watch this one without thinking i know whats going to happen) and i found it enjoyable.
even with my blank slate approach i still find it all too easy to pick out plot twists like 40 minutes before they popped up, but the notion of "bad acting"?. sam worthington is probably the best new talent ive seen, and most of the main cast are pretty good, but some of the lesser cast are not 5 star i admit.
the CGI i think was the whole thing that brought the film together. would it have been the same with animatronics and face paint? definatly not.
but yeah, i knew about the extended edition coming out and delayed my purchase of the Blu-ray, to find out my dad bought the double pack of play.com (DVD and the Blu-ray) for £12.
he has no Blu-Ray since i stole it for Uni. get in.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunatly "popularity" is slowly moving into "quality", which is ridiculous since most of it is hype created by marketing.
Avatar is one big trope and cliche (when it's not copying directly) after another and not in a good way, why? Because (and this has been part of the marketing and Cameron is always repating it) it claims to be a great story. It insults your, mine and everyone elses intelligence - and you know what's funny/sad - it works.

Since, let's say late 80ies, CGIs have been pushing through as the selling point of a movie, instead of a plot/story (there have been exceptions of course) and I hope this is the cullmination of it and that now movies will start developing the plot side again. For years now CGI is what's invested in and movie watching public has not yet reacted to it. There has not been a big flop - which says to the Hollywood studios "keep making that stuff". It's just sad.

Anyway, you say you're tired of disscusion about Avatar and that the more something is popular the more people who don't like it object. Why wouldn't they? You're force feeding your opinion upon them and surround the media with it - exact oposite reaction surprises you? Well that kind of thinking might be the reason you enjoyed Avatar.

And you know what, I wouldn't mind the cliches and ripping stuff of if it wasn't for the fact that it was not trying to be funny or and homage to those before it, but it was serious. It didn't not contribute to anything except for technology that was used.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I found it immensely enjoyable, the way I enjoy many disney movies: Predictable, a little hammy, but god damn was it fun as hell. And no, not just the pretty backgrounds, I liked the characters, I liked the stereotypical villains, and I just found it overall very enjoyable. That and kickass are the best films I've seen in ages.

Also, I heard the extended version has freaky blue alien sex. Just sayin'.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Furburt said:
Incidentally, I'd never heard of it when I first went to see it, the hype passed me by entirely. Maybe that's it, hype can make a certain type of person hate something before they even see it.
Same here. I went in with a few friends because we were looking for something to watch, and I'd heard of it sure, but knew almost nothing about it or the hype. Couple hours later I came out with a big shit eating grin on my face, I was throughly entertained by the whole thing.
Of course I could predict the plot twists from miles away, but it didn't bother me at all, and something that's predictable yet enjoyable makes for great re-watching, as it's pretty much the same experience every time!

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
anian said:
Anian wants to tell you why you didn't enjoy Avatar. You did? No, seriously, you didn't, you were just mirroring media opinions.

Thanks Anian, for having such faith in my own ablity to reason with myself.

I'm not trying to change your opinion Anian 'cause I have the same opinon - it wasn't a storytelling mastepiece, Hell anything but. All it was was popcorn-flavoured eye-candy. So why not, instead of hating it for everything but the impressive visual effects, can't you like it for being what it was: a humdrum piece of film-making and storytelling that happened to have some wicked-bad special effects?

Oh, and 500.