Avatar Makes Billion in Record Time

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Punisher A.J. said:
A great movie? Crap now the game is gonna suck.
I think it already does from the reviews. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1050817p1.html

Revelo said:
Frachise alert! How long before we get a sub-standard sequel?
Cameron actually has 2 sequels planed so long as the first one is a success (which it obviously is). It's how he convinced the studios to pump so much money into the first one by promising that 2 and 3 would be cheaper to make because of not having to create the technology.

I would normally be worried but this is the guy who made 2 of the best sequels ever with Aliens and Terminator 2. I personally will be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
Really? Cuz about a week ago people were bashing the shit out of it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.164313

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
It's a good film - went and saw it in 3D. It's not a great film though - it's not a Star Wars or an Indiana Jones, with the more subtle interactions that characterise those (original) movies. Instead, it's more a technological tour-de-force, with a fantastically designed environment - everything about it pulls you in, the plot, the music, the atmosphere; so that by the end of it, you've just watched 2 hours and 40 minutes, and don't even realise it.

Sure, if you're a snobby, elitist jerk who goes to movies to be educated, enlightened or otherwise intellectually jerked off, it's not the movie for you. But then, nor is most of the other stuff that has come out in the past 130-odd years of movie making. For anyone else, it's a great popcorn fuelled roller-coaster ride that grabs you by the balls and carries you along all the way through to deposit you, wondering quite what happened at the other end. If you're in the UK*, you'll appreciate the comparison: This is the Nemesis of movies.

It also, possibly, could be good in another way - it'll drive 3D into homes. Once the Blu Ray hits, and assuming the Blu Ray 3D design has been implemented and that devices are available to play it (All big if's at the moment), people will want to see this 'like in the movie theatre'.

All-in-all, I'd call it a significant film.

* If you're not in the UK, Nemesis is a very expensive roller-coaster that was built at Alton Towers, had a lot of stick while being built for being so expensive, got huge recognition now that it has been built and running, and made the theme park bucket loads of money.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I think the best part is that we will probably see this kinda stuff in our video games in our lifetime.
I mean, we went from this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm1rR01e8KE] around my birth to... Well, go play your PS3/360/PC.

Just thinking of frolicing in that in real time makes makes me giddy.

(Also, Commander Keen came out on my birthday. Well, a year to the day before I was born, but still. EPIC WIN)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ike42 said:
Noelveiga said:
it isn't even the best sci-fi epic this year.
Name a better one.
I sense a District 9 coming...

Kollega said:
Well, i guess that eye candy is just that good. I'd watch it if storyline was less blunt, but i guess transparent analogies work perfectly for non-philosophising masses.
It's ok for art to be simple and not have a deep, philosophical meaning.

I gather from your post you haven't seen the movie yet, don't judge it till you have.

It is a simple pleasure, which looks back to a time when cinema used to wow people and fill our heads full of excitement and magic.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
miracleofsound said:

I gather from your post you haven't seen the movie yet, don't judge it till you have.

It is a simple pleasure, which looks back to a time when cinema used to wow people and fill our heads full of excitement and magic.
That's probably the most apt description I've heard. I was slightly disappointed about the lackluster story, but the world and characters were so compelling that I just didn't care.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Maybe the box office proves that this movies not that bad after all...

Just saying...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
miracleofsound said:

That's probably the most apt description I've heard. I was slightly disappointed about the lackluster story, but the world and characters were so compelling that I just didn't care.
Exactly how I felt.

I didn't give a shit that it was an old story, as it was told so wonderfully.

Anyone who didn't crack a gleeful smile during Jake's first flight... well, I feel sorry for them.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
Jon Etheridge said:
Punisher A.J. said:
I think it already does from the reviews. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1050817p1.html

Revelo said:
Frachise alert! How long before we get a sub-standard sequel?
Cameron actually has 2 sequels planed so long as the first one is a success (which it obviously is). It's how he convinced the studios to pump so much money into the first one by promising that 2 and 3 would be cheaper to make because of not having to create the technology.

I would normally be worried but this is the guy who made 2 of the best sequels ever with Aliens and Terminator 2. I personally will be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THESE THINGS? RAAAAAAAAAAAH

Punisher A.J.

Nov 18, 2009
Jon Etheridge said:
Punisher A.J. said:

Just saying there WAS hope. I ususally find enjoyment in even the worst of games but those "the movie the game" kills it.

Oddly its balanced - x-men origins ok movie + ok game, DOA WTF movie + DOA good game Pixar movies GREAT + pixar games....

Only games I know that rocked was the Lord of the Rings games and yet the movies were really good....... I'm worried about the Prince of Persia.

dare I say it "prove me wrong".

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
This coming from someone who worked at a movie theatre. I'm shocked. A movie that actually deserves attention is...getting attention. You have no idea how much it killed him inside to see hundreds of people (I worked at a small theatre) throwing money away on things like Epic Movie.