Avatar: The Game Puts the Hurt on Ubisoft

zero_raver

Jun 17, 2009
DeadlyGlitch said:
I never saw the film because I have a saying that "nothing that ever makes a over billion dollars can be good", but from what I've heard, its practically in cannon with halo, and since there have already been a million halo sequels, they should have made a crossover, instantly ensuing quadrillion dollar profit.
The internet has now made well over a billion dollars, it can't be good, get out while you still can!

Also I can't believe the lack of Golden Eye love around here!

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
It's not so much that tie-in games suck, it's that usually the games are given so little development time and a strict deadline (the movie's release) that the company can't do anything BUT shovel out a steaming turd pile. Given a sufficient amount of time, you can still come up with good games. See: Duck Tales, Goldeneye 007, Spider-Man 2, Chronicles of Riddick (the remake, not the first one), a couple of the Harry Potter games, Batman: Arkham Asylum, KOTOR (does this count as a tie-in, though?)... I could go on. Ubisoft is just stupid to assume that a movie license is guaranteed money just because Harry Potter games sold well. Well, of course Harry Potter sold well! It's a quality children's movie, and parents buy their kids video games! Meanwhile, Avatar has a far broader audience with members who probably aren't even aware there is a tie-in game and likewise, don't care.

Also the game looks pretty bland and uninspired from the screenshots, which is ironic when the movie had such a grand vision of its world, to the point where it was the saving grace of an otherwise giant cliche storm.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Given the wonderful success that previous movie-related games have had, I can see why they would be surprised.

A large issue that seems to be neglected with such games is that there really is no point to play through Avatar, for instance, with sub-par effects, save reloads, general breaks in gameplay, and all for hours longer than just watching the film. There is no additional insight into the film that can only be experienced through the game by seeing through the eyes of a controlled character for the film. There has to be something distinct about the game that makes it entertaining and worthwhile to even play rather than simply watch the movie. In this case, myself and many others sat through Avatar one or more times and are content given the unimpressive game.