Avengers: Age of Ultron Filming Wraps According to Joss Whedon

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Avengers: Age of Ultron Filming Wraps According to Joss Whedon

Director Joss Whedon let us know Age of Ultron wrapped by tweeting an image asking "What the hell do I do now?"

Just last week, the Fantastic Four film reboot's Kata Mara (Invisible Woman) Joss Whedon's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136601-Fantastic-Four-Reboots-Kate-Mara-Shares-Pic-to-Mark-End-of-Filming] turn. Over on Twitter, Whedon tweeted an image stating "Avengers 2 wrapped. What the hell do I do now?"

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/josswhedon/statuses/497108578109784064]

Even though Whedon tweeted out asking what he'll do next (obviously in jest), I presume the director will dive right in to post-production work to make sure Avengers: Age of Ultron hits its targeted May 2015 release date. Either that, or maybe renegotiate his Marvel contract for Avengers 3 -- which I'm assuming is what fans want -- given that it's set to expire next year. In other Avengers: Age of Ultron news, you can read up on the spoken out on an anticipated Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy team up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136214-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Story-and-Dialogue-Details-Fly-Out] as well.

Avengers: Age of Ultron stars Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Evans (Captain America), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), and James Spader (Ultron) and is set for a May 1, 2015 theatrical release.

Source: Collider [https://twitter.com/josswhedon/statuses/497108578109784064]

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Lots of time to make it shiny and perfect then! Excited for this, but can it live up to the great original? I bloody hope so.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
lee1287 said:
Lots of time to make it shiny and perfect then! Excited for this, but can it live up to the great original? I bloody hope so.
I think it will be better. Ultron is going to be a real villian. As fun as Avengers was, the Chitauri themselves were rather dull.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Nuxxy said:
lee1287 said:
I think it will be better. Ultron is going to be a real villian. As fun as Avengers was, the Chitauri themselves were rather dull.
Yeah....but Loki was there. And he is always fun. I dont think any of the marvel villains have been particularly memorable except him. But they dont really need to be. I didnt much care for the dark elves in thor 2. They were simply an alien menace. But I loved the film anyway, because I wasnt there to see the villains I was there to see the heroes. Same thing with guardians. I couldnt care less about the kree/nova conflict (that was their names right >.>?), but I LOVED seeing the guardians on screen. Usually the good guy banter is a HELL of a lot more fun than a bad guy trying to be menacing.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
tzimize said:
Nuxxy said:
lee1287 said:
Yeah....but Loki was there. And he is always fun. I dont think any of the marvel villains have been particularly memorable except him.
Oh. Ahem. Let me just... ahem.

I can't believe you could forget Red Skull as portrayed by Hugo Weaving! I've been waiting for him to reappear since he kind of was dissolved and probably dispersed throughout the universe thanks to the Tesseract.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I might be living under a rock, but it was revealed who was casted as Ultron? Must've missed that particular piece of news.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Avengers 1 baddies were boring (not Loki). But its was to build on the Avengers as a group and how they work together - Avengers Origin story i guess. So for Avengers 2, im hoping that most of the movie will be making Ultron and really interesting and deep character. I have a huge amount of faith in Joss.

Now what does he do now? Would love if he started on Avengers 3. Though i do wonder if he would want do something different. I wonder if he has any kind of pet project he would love to make? I think he earned it.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
AgentLampshade said:
I might be living under a rock, but it was revealed who was casted as Ultron? Must've missed that particular piece of news.
Ultron is being voiced by James Spader (it even says so at the bottom of this article :p)

Avengers: Age of Ultron stars Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Evans (Captain America), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk), Chris Hemsworth (Thor),Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), and James Spader as Ultron for a May 1, 2015 theatrical release.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Ultron is being voiced by James Spader (it even says so at the bottom of this article :p)

Avengers: Age of Ultron stars Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Evans (Captain America), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk), Chris Hemsworth (Thor),Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), and James Spader as Ultron for a May 1, 2015 theatrical release.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Last I heard, there was still speculation Andy Serkis was playing Ultron. I didn't realise his casting was made public.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Broken Orange said:
Hey, silly question maybe, but who is the Iron man wannabe in that poster? War Machine?
Looks like some version of Ultron or one of his robots. The source link right under the picture has got a bigger version.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Alex Co said:
Even if Whedon tweeted out asking what he'll do next (obviously in jest), I presume the director will dive right in to post-production work to make sure Avengers: Age of Ultron hits its targeted May 2015 release date.
Maybe he'll make another modernized Shakespeare film in his home again.

A couple days after the first Avengers stopped filming, he and his wife were going to take a month-long trip to Italy, but then she was like, "Hey, why don't you make Much Ado About Nothing." Joss got all his people over to his home within a couple days and just twelve days later they wrapped on the film. He spent a couple seeks in Italy and then came back to do post-production on Avengers. After that he did the post on Much Ado and got it out to film festivals. Even did a road trip in an RV with the cast.

tl;dr - I'm sure Joss will just make another movie between wrapping Age of Ultron and editing it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I think Wheedon should do something new and different for him. Perhaps a faux girl power character with little characterisation, snappy banter, borderline Mary Sue status, and daddy issues.

lee1287 said:
Lots of time to make it shiny and perfect then!
Are you kidding? The fact that they wrapped so early means the movie is going to suuuuuuuuck!

...Wait, I forgot that only applied to Fox.

tzimize said:
Yeah....but Loki was there. And he is always fun.
Fun though he may be, he's kind of crappy as a threat. I know he's supposed to be a trickster, but he doesn't really do that well except in minor cases ("Are you ever going to not fall for that?"). Loki gets punked so often the Avengers should change their names to the Ashton Kutchers.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
lee1287 said:
I think it can. Honestly, the original was very flawed, although I have to say I have come to dislike it with considerably less violence than I originally did. I don't imagine it will be hard for them to make a film that was at least as good as its predecessor.

What I'm curious to know is if they removed Ant-Man from the equation or if that movie is still going. I know there's been lots of news about the subject, but I don't remember what, if anything, was the final call from the studio on the subject.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I can't believe you could forget Red Skull as portrayed by Hugo Weaving! I've been waiting for him to reappear since he kind of was dissolved and probably dispersed throughout the universe thanks to the Tesseract.
Weaving's big thing with being Red Skull was that he would only do that one movie and wouldn't reappear.

OT: Isn't the big rumor now that they're handing the Avengers 3 reigns over to James Gunn?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Wheedon is looking very Ron Howard in that ghastly post processed image. Here's hoping he gets to make as many films as Opie.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
tzimize said:
Nuxxy said:
lee1287 said:
Yeah....but Loki was there. And he is always fun. I dont think any of the marvel villains have been particularly memorable except him.
Oh. Ahem. Let me just... ahem.

Hm...memorable might be a bad word. Interesting is better. Red skull was definitely memorable, but he was NOT particularly interesting. The only bad guy from the marvel cinematic universe I feel has gotten some decent motivation, not to mention actual character development, is Loki. Thats what makes him great. He's actually a character, not just an evil threat. And he has a very intimate relationship with his hero. I thought that one of the best aspects of Thor 2 was to see how brilliant and touching the interactions between Loki and Thor was. How Thor WANTED to trust Loki, and how fantastic they COULD have been together...I loved that.

We didnt see much of that in Avengers unfortunately, as the screen time was occupied by the heroes....but thats ok. The heroes kicked ass :D

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I think Wheedon should do something new and different for him. Perhaps a faux girl power character with little characterisation, snappy banter, borderline Mary Sue status, and daddy issues.

lee1287 said:
Lots of time to make it shiny and perfect then!
Are you kidding? The fact that they wrapped so early means the movie is going to suuuuuuuuck!

...Wait, I forgot that only applied to Fox.

tzimize said:
Yeah....but Loki was there. And he is always fun.
Fun though he may be, he's kind of crappy as a threat. I know he's supposed to be a trickster, but he doesn't really do that well except in minor cases ("Are you ever going to not fall for that?"). Loki gets punked so often the Avengers should change their names to the Ashton Kutchers.
Yeah...I guess you're right about that. But how would anyone be a threat really? I mean...not even the joker was a threat in Batman. You know batman is gonna win anyway. Even when its in Nolans terridark world. This is why I dont really care much about the villains in marvel. You're not there because you're wondering if the Guardians/Thor/Cap/whatever will WIN....you're there for the ride, or at least I am :p

Loki might not be as menacing as some other villains (although I found him suitably horrible in Avengers. The eye thing pops to mind), but he makes up for it with being an actual character with believable motivations instead of

RAAAAAAAAARGH I WANT TO KILL THE NOVA HOMEWORLD EVEN THOUGH MY GOVERNMENT IS NOT AT WAR WITH THEM!

or

HISSSS I WANT TO MAKE THE UNIVERSE DARK AND KILL EVERYONE (EVERYONE!) BECAUSE I LIKE DARK BETTER!

Boring. The interesting thing is what will happen to the heroes on the way to victory, AND in Lokis case...how he will turn out. I was actually hoping for a redemption story in Thor 2. That would have been AWESOME. If Loki redeemed himself and saved Thor in the end.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tzimize said:
You know batman is gonna win anyway.
And yet, he was a more credible threat because he wasn't ***** slapped every five minutes he was on screen. There's a difference between suspension of disbelief and asking someone to buy into something for no reason.

We also knew that the Avengers would eventually get together (or "assemble," if you will), but watching Thor and Iron Man fight was freaking cool, even if we know they won't kill one another.

Hell, they could have done more to make Loki look like a competent trickster, at least. In the comics, often enough even when the good guys (usually Thor) win, Loki still wins.

Usually, movie Loki is more "haha, my cunning plan was to not completely die."

Woooow. What a genius.