Aye, Sir: Captain Picard To Be Knighted in New Year

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Jadak said:
I have no respect for royalty, but I can't argue with this...

On second thought, the fact that mere race car drivers are also getting Knighted takes all the prestige out of this. Picard deserves something better than being grouped with those nobodies.
Sir Terry Pratchett also received nobility last year, on the New Year's Eve.
Thunderhorse said:
I haven't cared about someone being Knighted this much ... well, ever!

Awesome!
Did he just say he doesn't care about Pratchett?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
A man of the stage, he was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company from 1966 until 1982, though he remained (relatively) unknown until he sat in the Captain's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise-D in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
bad Funk, you lose total geek points with that statement

he was Gurney in Dune, Leondegrance in Excalibur and Sejanus in I, Claudius before doing Star Trek. he was also the most awesome King Richard in Robin Hood Men in Tights, beating out Sir Sean in the Kevin Costner version of Robing Hood

as for some Patrick Stewart specific Star Trek trivia.

he would often wear a beavis and butthead shirt under his uniform or other odd type shirt.

if you watch he always straightens out his uniform by pulling on the bottom of the top because he hated having creases in it. Jonathan Frakes dubbed this "The Picard Maneuver"

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Abedeus said:
Jadak said:
I have no respect for royalty, but I can't argue with this...

On second thought, the fact that mere race car drivers are also getting Knighted takes all the prestige out of this. Picard deserves something better than being grouped with those nobodies.
Sir Terry Pratchett also received nobility last year, on the New Year's Eve.
Thunderhorse said:
I haven't cared about someone being Knighted this much ... well, ever!

Awesome!
Did he just say he doesn't care about Pratchett?
Can't say I care about Pratchett either, but even still, it's all one group, including race car drivers is demeaning to everyone involved.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
cleverlymadeup said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
A man of the stage, he was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company from 1966 until 1982, though he remained (relatively) unknown until he sat in the Captain's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise-D in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
bad Funk, you lose total geek points with that statement

he was Gurney in Dune, Leondegrance in Excalibur and Sejanus in I, Claudius before doing Star Trek. he was also the most awesome King Richard in Robin Hood Men in Tights, beating out Sir Sean in the Kevin Costner version of Robing Hood

as for some Patrick Stewart specific Star Trek trivia.

he would often wear a beavis and butthead shirt under his uniform or other odd type shirt.

if you watch he always straightens out his uniform by pulling on the bottom of the top because he hated having creases in it. Jonathan Frakes dubbed this "The Picard Maneuver"
I said "relatively."

TNG made him a household name, almost.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
AWESOME

yay yay yay yay yay yay

Cpt. Picard is my hero. And now he's going to be Sir. That's awesome! Best news I heard all day

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
The perfect choice!!!!

I too, do not believe in royalty but Patrick Steward would definitely would be my first choice as well.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Engage awesomeness. About time too, as Stewart is damn near incredible. :) Saw him live playing Prospero at the Royal Shakespeare Company. Well worth it. :D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I thought he was too, unless he is going up from a CBE, lol.

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred! Live only 10 miles from where he did =D

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
I think Patrick Stewart should be considered one of the best actors ever. He's just got the versatility to do more or less anything. Awesome that he's getting knighted.

I wonder though, has anyone besides me picked up on the irony that an English actor is being knighted after becoming famous by playing a French Captain? Just throwing it out there...

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Jadak said:
Can't say I care about Pratchett either, but even still, it's all one group, including race car drivers is demeaning to everyone involved.
I can only think of one race car driver who was knighted (Sir Jackie Stewart). If you think he doesn't deserve it after his work improving safety measures in the sport and tremendous success within it, then you are just letting your obvious dislike and frankly irrational level of disrespect for sportspeople blind you to the good these people do.

Edit: Patrick Stewart is a fantastic actor whom I have nothing but respect for. Bravo!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Good stuff there, after a long wait he's finally recognised

Remember going to see him play Prospero in The Tempest, was a sight to behold

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:
"Look i've got girl boobs" gawd i love Patrick Stewart so much lol
Ah, Family Guy. "YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!" :D

A well-deserved acknowledgment, this man is an incredibly talented actor and a true gentleman.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
kannibus said:
I think Patrick Stewart should be considered one of the best actors ever. He's just got the versatility to do more or less anything. Awesome that he's getting knighted.

I wonder though, has anyone besides me picked up on the irony that an English actor is being knighted after becoming famous by playing a French Captain? Just throwing it out there...
Possibly, but from what I could tell the Star Trek France had clearly been taken over by the English sometime in the past/future.

OT: Wow, really? I'm kinda surprised he wasn't already.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Blimey, good on Patrick Steward (or should I say sir Patrick Steward?), I'd say he deserves it! :)