Baby Dolphin killed as tourists yank it out of the ocean to take a selfie

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
WinterWyvern said:
Not everyone needs to be an activist of some club in order to respect something. That's like saying "I think all people are equals", and someone else retorts to you "Okay, what have you done to demonstrate that you think all people are equals? I don't see you being in any anti-racism club and you didn't do any women rights activism at all!".
No, sometimes, being a decent human being and respecting your ideals is enough.
Depends on whether you were doing something that suggested you didn't think all people are equal like, oh I don't know, killing and eating them. Then yeah, that might become a statement you'd need to defend.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
I was referring to people who gloat over how much they love meat and disparage vegans, while self righteously condemning random acts of cruelty which, while grotesque, have certainly resulted in less suffering than the meat habit they hate to have criticised. If you're not the kind of person to throw a tanty over how preachy vegans are, there's no problem.

It's more like not wanting an animal to suffer... but only when it's someone else's fault. When they're the ones causing the suffering, they don't want to hear it.
Oh, okay. That's not me, nor the folks I relate to. Carry on.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
tf2godz said:
God Danmit escapist! We can't hate on some douche bags for killing a baby dolphin without it turning into some weird political debate about the food industry.

My god!
Personally, I'm rather glad. The discussion of animal cruelty overall and the ethics of our own support of it, or lack there of, has far more merit than an entire thread of:

"These people are morons!"
"What vain idiots."
"What a bunch of idiots."
"What arseholes."
"I hope they fucking die."
"I've lost faith in humanity."

and variations of that. There's not really much to discuss in the original topic, unless anyone here wants to argue that they aren't a bunch of cretins for doing something this stupid.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
SweetShark said:
It is ironic, isn't it?
We don't give a single f*ck about a big female fly which carry in her belly her babies when we squeezed with our thumbs, but we must feel sorry for a baby dolphin?
Lets face it, we only care cause how stupid was the way and the reason the dolphin died.
I guess we feel anger [me include] of how brainless these people are to cause the death of a baby dolphin just for a selphie.
Just because is "unique".
I guess we will care only for a fly's death when a human decided to laso a fly with homemade rope made with his hairs and THEN kill it cause he was bored or by accident.
If I could I would torture and kill every fly that exists and have ever existed. Annoying little bastards.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
WinterWyvern said:
Animals kill and eat each other too.

I think you should accept Nature and come to term with the fact that we are an omnivore species.

Personally, vegans always make me laugh. They're kind of people who don't understand nature.

Fun little fact: I've got semi-domesticated pigeons. Each has a name and a personality, and they aren't afraid of me. Feeding pigeons for years made me so hungry for pigeon meat that I went and bought me some pigeon and made an Indian recipe of pigeon pudding.
Animals also don't whine at me about how they're morally justified in doing what they do, and that I have no right to judge. I suspect I did more than make you laugh, seeing as you started this argument with me trying to rationalise your position to me =)

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
WinterWyvern said:
If you read my post (something people in this forum often forget to do before replying), you'll find out I mentioned the difference between us humans and other animals is that we are aware of what we are doing.

Hence why if a cat makes a mouse suffer before eating it, it's ok. If a human makes an animal suffer before eating it, it's not ok.
Eat animals; don't torture them.
But that logic goes out the window the second it threatens to inconvenience you. Then suddenly it's okay to do something because animals do it too!

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
DoPo said:
thaluikhain said:
Like catching a fish, taking a photo, and then eating it.
Not really the same thing. Dolphins are mammals, not fish. Although I wonder if they'll taste OK with chips.
Then like catching a turkey, taking selfies, then eating it.

As it is, it's a waste.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Risingblade said:
SweetShark said:
It is ironic, isn't it?
We don't give a single f*ck about a big female fly which carry in her belly her babies when we squeezed with our thumbs, but we must feel sorry for a baby dolphin?
Lets face it, we only care cause how stupid was the way and the reason the dolphin died.
I guess we feel anger [me include] of how brainless these people are to cause the death of a baby dolphin just for a selphie.
Just because is "unique".
I guess we will care only for a fly's death when a human decided to laso a fly with homemade rope made with his hairs and THEN kill it cause he was bored or by accident.
If I could I would torture and kill every fly that exists and have ever existed. Annoying little bastards.
Not so hot to kill them all, but the big female ones are must.
I just wanted to make a point about our nature as humans.
I hope one day an Intergalactic Ancient Entity kill the Human Race just because it wanted to take a sh*t to our planet.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I went to the big aquarium in Boston once. They had, in a small tank set inside a wall, a display of an octopus who lived fairly deep in the water and had a darkened tank because of it; his skin was not adapted to surface-dweller levels of light, so light was painful for him. The friend who took me to the aquarium is a scientist with an interest in marine biology, so he had a lot of behind-the-scenes privileges at the aquarium as well as friends working there, and confided in me that this particular octopus was so intelligent his food had to be given to him in puzzle boxes (I never got to see an example of that, so I'm not quite sure what that means) so he'd have to challenge his mind to get the food out, or else he'd get bored and/or depressed and refuse to eat.

While we were in the area of his display, which of course had a big sign mounted on the wall next to it telling people not to do exactly this, a pair of frat boys came over, couldn't see the octopus in the darkness, pulled out their phones, and started strobing their cameras' flashes to try to illuminate the tank (I don't know if their phones just didn't have a steady flashlight option or what). My friend just about got into a fist fight, and I had to lead him away in order to keep him from doing something that would require police attention. In retrospect, I regret that. I was concerned for my friend at the time, but I think he could have taken a rap on the knuckles better than the octopus could have taken more assholes burning his skin.

So the point of this story is, I am saddened to learn people used their cameras as a murder instrument against a sea creature that had done them no harm but had to die to appease their desire for entertainment; but I am not surprised.

(Also, I am boycotting tuna, albeit less for the sake of dolphins than because I hear commercial tuna fishing is pushing some species of tuna to the brink of extinction. I miss tuna melts.)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
RJ 17 said:
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Wonder how many of the 500 people bound to post angry comments in this thread give a fuck about dolphin safe fishing methods when they buy their tuna.
While I see the hypocrisy angle you're going for, there's still a bit of a difference between commercial fishers not giving a toss about whether or not their fishing tactics are dolphin friendly and a bunch of slap-dicks intentionally dragging a baby dolphin onto land so they can take pictures with it.
There is a difference, but its smaller than you might think. Both are just instances of dolphins dying because humans neglected to consider their well being while pursuing some sort of pleasure or satisfaction. And really, I wasn't firing shots at commercial fishers, but rather at consumers.
In court this difference would be manslaughter versus murder. I think this is bad. So it the use of aggressive fishing methods and unnecessary cruelty against animals in meat production, but I can kinda see your point. This isn't the worst to happen to dolphins, but it is deliberate and very visual.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Digi7 said:
Pseudonym said:
Also, breaking news, cow killed and eaten by humans because they taste better than potatoes and mushrooms.

As a society, we eat animals, experiment on animals, and if they are lucky they are merely our slaves. Why should anyone care about a dead dolphin. If you genuinely care about animals in general or maybe just some class of animals, I don't, but very well. But don't come and ask me for sympathy when animals are killed and tortured in a slightly unusual and visible way.
Lol edgy. Causing waste and pain is disgusting. There was no reason to kill this dolphin like there is a reason to slaughter a cow or shoot a deer for food.
Don't bullshit yourself. We do not need to slaughter cows for food and we don't slaughter cows for food. Producing food is far more efficient if your food doesn't itself eat more food than it'll ever turn into. We slaughter (and threat poorly by life) cows because we like the taste better than that of bread and potatoes. That reason isn't any better than wanting to take a picture.

If such an entirely frivolous reason as the better taste of your meals justifies killing something, I see no reason why a nice picture doesn't justify it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Apparently the dolphin was dead prior to photos.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/19/apparently-that-dolphin-wasnt-killed-by-tourists-taking-selfies-5705566/

Who knows though I guess. Hopefully people aren't that stupid but I wouldn't put it past them.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
NPC009 said:
Pseudonym said:
Also, breaking news, cow killed and eaten by humans because they taste better than potatoes and mushrooms.

As a society, we eat animals, experiment on animals, and if they are lucky they are merely our slaves. Why should anyone care about a dead dolphin. If you genuinely care about animals in general or maybe just some class of animals, I don't, but very well. But don't come and ask me for sympathy when animals are killed and tortured in a slightly unusual and visible way.
I think most people will agree there's a difference between killing an animal to eat it and torturing an animal to death for your amusement.
Animals are rarely killed because we need food. They are killed because they taste better than other kinds of food we eat that could serve us just fine, is less likely to lead to antibiotic resistant diseases, and doesn't eat more food than it ever becomes.

NPC009 said:
Besides, who says all people who eat meat are okay with animals being kept and killed in inhumane ways?
I will say that most of them are. Or at least, most of them don't care enough to check where their meat comes from. So it's some fairly mild disapproval you are talking about here.

Neverhoodian said:
Thing is, cows are stupid; they had the brains bred out of them centuries ago when they were domesticated. Also, when they're slaughtered for meat it's (usually) done in the quickest way possible to minimize suffering. Moreover, I'm a firm believer that even dumb "meat" animals should lead relatively comfy, full lives prior to the slaughterhouse; I refuse to eat dishes like veal and balut on this principle, and I try to buy free range meats whenever possible.

This on the other hand...they took one of the most intelligent wild animals on the planet, a species known for selflessly rescuing grounded whales and drowning humans, and subjected it to a slow, agonizing death purely for getting five seconds of fame (or infamy in this case).

The way I see it, wild animals should be left the hell alone unless you're hunting them for food, treating something that's sick/injured or invasives that are threatening the survival of native species. Even then I have a laundry list of caveats and exceptions to go along with it: no hunting endangered species, no killing dolphins, primates or any other animal of similar human-like mental capacity, don't waste the meat, only hunt animals "in season," make sure you know what you're doing when caring for wild animals, don't try to domesticate them, be sure to turn them loose once fully recovered, etc.

Some may still see this as hypocrisy, and they may very well be right. It makes sense to me, though.
Somebody already pointed out how weird it is to make stupidity or intelligence a moral criterium. You might as well claim that chess computers are very morally precious if you want to take that line. As for dolphins altruistic deeds, I don't think that having done good (let alone someone of your species having done good) makes you suddenly more morally relevant than you were. As for the rest of your reply, I can respect that you try to act on what you believe but I do think you have some inconsistent views about the matter.

Maybe its just me but the idea of a class of beings that are only slightly morally relevant just doesn't make any sense to me. Either we shouldn't interfere with the autonomy of animals or not cause them pain or whatever you think the issue is, or we are allowed to do such things. I'm a bit confused that you are allowed to go out and shoot a deer under certain circumstances because you like how it tastes, but you can't kill it for your amusement. Because your taste is more important than your amusement apperently. (And before, like two others before you, you pretend you need to kill animals to eat, no you don't)

I perhaps should underscore how we wouldn't cause our hypothetical deer some slight discomfort. We'd straight up kill it. Meaning its life has less value to us than the taste of our meals. This doesn't seem like the grey area many people want to pretend it is. Killing another person is generally considered one of the worst things you can do to them, well over any line of what is normally acceptable. Killing an animal can be done for so frivolous a reason as a slightly better tasting meal. But apperently we should then feel great moral discust when an animal gets killed for a selfie.

I can understand the view that some animals matter and others don't. (say apes and dolphins matter, but cows apparently don't) I don't know how we go about discerning one type of animal from the other but I could see that making some sense. But saying that murder for taste is allowed against animals but murder for entertainment clearly goes too far just bewilders me.

Generic NPC 22

The Most Generic of NPCs
Jul 12, 2012
Dear Selfie Takers,

Instead of taking pictures with marine life [footnote]you know animals that need to stay in the water in order to survive[/footnote], regardless of whether they are alive or dead, perhaps you should stick to things that are much more adept at surviving on land. I hear that rattlesnakes really REALLY enjoy being wrapped around your neck for your latest selfie.

Sincerely,

Gen Gen your Friend Friend

[hr]

It might be my age but I've tried to understand the selfie craze. To me, it feels like it's a level of self absorption that shouldn't exist in the first place. Who really looks at selfies? As far as my personal taste, selfies go in the same pile as pictures of your vacation, pictures of what you had for diner and the latest-cutest-picture-ever or your child.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Pseudonym said:
But saying that murder for taste is allowed against animals but murder for entertainment clearly goes too far just bewilders me.
To be fair, you're still getting nutrients from that meat. You can't eat your you & dead baby dolphin selfie.

In any case, I think you shouldn't judge people solely on the type of the things they eat. Just saying you eat meat says nothing about the type of meat, the means by which it was produced or the quantity. Sure, you could be a dick and assume anyone who eats meat is some sort of BBQ nut who doesn't care what they put in their mouth as long as it's meat, but you know what they say about assuming.