Baby Names and when you picked them

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
So I was having a conversation with some friends and the topic got onto weird baby names, and one friend said "so you could do better?" and I said of course, I've had the names for my first two children picked out since I was eight.

Alexander, Edward, Elizabeth, and Victoria by the way.

He claimed it was a bit weird for a bloke to have baby names picked out that early, especially a bloke who is dead set on never having children.

So do you have baby names picked out for your hypothetical (or real) kids? And when did you pick them?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I wouldn't say I've picked baby names but I have a few names that I really like.

It's not something I think about it too often though.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I've got particular names I like a lot. Most are for girls. Some are from cultures outside my own, so I'm not sure how big a taboo it would be to use them.

Jade, Jasmine, Róisín, Karim, Alexandra, Samara. There are probably others I've forgotten. I've had these in my head since childhood. Still a while off even thinking about having children though.

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
Yes I'm gonna name my kid seven. DONT TRY AND STEAL IT!

referencing something but I'm not sure.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I do have a few though it's unlikely I'll use them as to have kids I'd need to adopt and I think those kids come with names.

That being said I do want to use the name Sapphire,after a dead child that I saw at college once.Just seeing her hit me hard and I wanted to name something after her in her memory.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wickatricka said:
Yes I'm gonna name my kid seven. DONT TRY AND STEAL IT!

referencing something but I'm not sure.
That's from Seinfeld :p
(I'm gonna name my kid "Mug")

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Kore, Megaera, Eris & Ker... I'm sensing a theme here... ¬_¬ ...

Seriously, though:

For boys - Lucian (if someone Greek or knows Greek etymology would be so kind, I'd like the origin/meaning of that name, 'cos I've looked high and low and all I get is 'loukianos') & Maximilian
For girls - Marisa, Irena & Tyraxa

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Either Wolfram or Gerhard (Gerd), if I can get my partner to agree and if the child is a boy. Otherwise, I dunno.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
For boys - Lucian (if someone Greek or knows Greek etymology would be so kind, I'd like the origin/meaning of that name, 'cos I've looked high and low and all I get is 'loukianos')
Can't speak to the reliability, but Behind The Name suggests that Lucian ultimately derives from the Roman name Lucius (via Lucianus), derived in turn from the Latin word lux, "light" (the bright stuff, not the low-weight stuff).

Follow the links starting here: http://www.behindthename.com/name/lucian

Grimbold

Nov 19, 2009
sextus the crazy said:
Either Wolfram or Gerhard (Gerd), if I can get my partner to agree and if the child is a boy. Otherwise, I dunno.
Wolfram? Why not call him Cadmium or Nickel?

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Truckzilla Dieselnuts, best name for a male child in the history of mankind. Reason to name one's son this are obvious, this name is awesome, badass, and so full of raw manliness it's impossible for the mind to fully comprehend.

You could technically name a daughter this as well, but it might just be too confusing for everyone.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Girls: Zelda, Samus, and Daisy.

Boys: Ganon, Mark, and Bruce.

Since I was like seven,each is hopefully to be like the person they are named after.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I'm never going to have kids, but...

Some names I've thought of for boys: Arthur, Theoderic (Theo), Gino, Edgar, Oscar, Siegfried, Leonardo, Kieran, Stefan

Girls: Karen, Jenn, Jasmine, Lucia

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Not that I ever want kids, but back in the day, I decided that I liked names that end with the "on/an" sound. Gavin and Garrison being my faves, but I also like Simon, Allison, Harrison, Stefan, Devin, etc.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
If I ever get into a position where somebody's gonna let me fertilise their eggs, well, I haven't given it much thought, but I like the names Nick and Sophie. I'm surprised I still kept that attachment, because the first time I really thought about it was the last thread that asked this question.

There's no real reason for it, I just like the sound of the names. My significant other at the time might have some better thought-out ones. If any of this does happen. The idea of being a dad sound cool in many ways, but it seems to be very bleak as well. Once you're a parent there's no more time to be selfish, you've gotta dedicate yourself to your kids, it's certainly something I don't think I'll be mature enough any time soon.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I always figured if I was going to be one of those parents that gives their kid a crazy name for the sake of giving their kid a crazy name, I'd want it to be one that the kid can choose to alter in some way. Like the name Nicodemus becoming Nic(k)

Personally, I'm fond of the name Jack. It's a good, simple, hearty name. Nothing wrong with Jack. Yet when I told one of my friends who has a kid (named Ravyn by the way) I was told "That's boring, pick something exciting."

To which I told her this was a human life, not a D&D character.

I mean people are free to name their kids whatever they want, but try to think about it from the kid's perspective and realize they have to go through their entire life with this name. Don't just be one of those parents who names your daughter Renesmee because you were super into Twilight when you got knocked up.

To quote The Critic

"Miranda is named after the heroine of The Tempest...I'm named after Alice Kramden from the Honeymooners..."
"We were both lucky compared to brother Bisquick."

And to also quote Jim Gaffigan

"You can even see it in the naming of Children. First kid, you were named after Grandma. Seventh kid, you were named after a sandwich I had once. Now go get your brother, Reuben."

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Grimbold said:
sextus the crazy said:
Wolfram? Why not call him Cadmium or Nickel?
Because those names aren't as cool. Also, Wolfram is an actual name, held by real people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfram_Freiherr_von_Richthofen

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Well, my wife is 4 months pregnant right now. I am 110% sure, no budging whatsoever, that if it's a girl her name will be Tali'Zorah Rose, Tali for short and nickname and such.

We're having trouble on the boy side of things. It may be Joshua Elliott, but I'm trying to push Japanese names which the wife is iffy about a 6'2 white boy in America having. I'd personally like Shinji or Hideki. Probably not going to happen though. Joshua is my wife's brother's name, and Elliott Smith is the greatest songwriter who's ever lived.