Bad games that got GOOD reviews

DOOMGUY '93

Aug 15, 2011
I recently looked at Metroid:The Other M's reception and it was positive to mixed, which dumbfounded me so I thought. There always good games that got bad reviews posts, why not bad games that got good to mixed reviews. Thoughts?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well the gameplay in metroid the other M was pretty damn good, at least I really liked it, it was the story that hurt people physically so overall I would say it deserves a positive score.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I will never in a million years understand GTA IV's reception.

Bad controls, bad shooting, bad melee combat, bland and clichéd writing (some dialogue is OK, the story is crap), and terrible pacing (story and gameplay-wise).

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
Call of Duty 4 through 7.

OT: I would say the Pokemon games. There's just something I don't "get" with them. It was never a large part of my childhood, and I don't understand how people can give essentially the same game outstanding reviews.

Also, Dead Rising. Between awful camera, counter-intuitive controls, vague mission objectives and dull writing, I could not stand it and gave up after an hour.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
I didnt like dawn of war II, and that got really good reviews, why? They removed base building, only had 4 factions, limited choice of units and a quite short campaign. I have never understood it. DoW I was much better by miles. Maybe the expansions were better, but I just didn't want to waste money on them if they were similar to DoW II.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Would you look at this thread? What is this all about now, people liking things you don't like?
Seriously now, good reviews happen because the reviewers like them, and liking something is a Subjective thing. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean the game is bad, just that you don't like it.
Blah.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Dragon Age 2 was bad. It felt like DLC and not a story in its own right, it was padded out by dull side quests, the characters and events were extremely boring and every building and dungeon was a copy/paste of the last one. I hate that game but so many critics loved it.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
OT - the gameplay in Other M was amazing, just like Super Metroid with 1 or 2 tweaks that improved it for me
other than 3D sections and story that game was fantastic, once you finish the game and the whole ship opens up that's when the game gets really good

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Mr Shrike said:
Aww, and here I was thinking it was gonna be something earth-shattering like Portal or Ocarina of Time. But no, it's a game series that will not get you flamed - too many people on here share that exact opinion (except maybe about CoD 4...)

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Final Fantasy 10, if you want an explaination go watch Spoony's review of it as it pretty much sums up my hates about it (and before people say "you only hate it because a popular reviewer hates it" the answer is no, i have a lways despised this game).

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
Honestly, I will never understand why a lot of games got decent write ups, but I would be hesitant to say that almost any games I've played in the last few years have been genuinely bad as such. A fair number have absolutely not been to my taste, particularly sequals that have either flogged a dead horse or outright removed the things that made the first one good... But actually 'bad' games ? Hmm...

I mean... I think FF7 is a bad game in the sense that it didn't engage me and I didn't particularly enjoy it, but its obviously a 'good' game in lots of respects.

The only really 'bad' games that I can think of are rehashed bullshit (particularly sports and driving games) and thats not because they aren't playable, its because they are utterly disinteresting.

Its all in the eye of the beholder.

I can't think of any game that was bad in the sense of being difficult to play that got good reviews.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Mr Shrike said:
Aww, and here I was thinking it was gonna be something earth-shattering like Portal or Ocarina of Time. But no, it's a game series that will not get you flamed - too many people on here share that exact opinion (except maybe about CoD 4...)
I rather enjoyed both Portal games, but I must confess that I've never played a Legend of Zelda game.

There's just something about them...

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Biohazard 4.

Sure .. it's fun enough. But is it really THAT good? And it didn't so much 'redefine' survival horror as throw it out the fucking window. After the first scene (approaching the town on foot), it feels like godamn John Cleese appeared and said 'and now for something completely different.'

What in the hell happened to Biohazard, Capcom ??! I want it BACK.

EDIT: And wow .. RDR? Really? I thought it was fabbo.

opeth1989

Sep 23, 2011
L.A Noir, everyone seems to like it, but i absolutely hated it. It got absolutely great reviews by alot of game reviewers, but for me personally, its one of the most dull games i have ever played.

The crime scenes were basically move till you feel your controller shake, and the interogations were awful. but this is just my opinion i guess.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
Every single CoD game after 2 (I can't say anything about 3 since I didn't played it), and GTA IV.

Edit: forgot Halo Reach... I HATE THAT GAME!!