Balance of Power Creator Says Kickstarter Used To Be Cool

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Balance of Power Creator Says Kickstarter Used To Be Cool

[kickstarter=544670315/balance-of-the-planet]​
Chris Crawford says his Balance of the Planet initiative is on the cusp of dismal failure because Kickstarter has changed.

Do you know who Chris Crawford is? He was a pretty big dog back in the 80s and early 90s, designing strategy and war games like Patton vs. Rommel, Balance of Power and Balance of the Planet. He effectively retired from the industry in 1992, although he's written several design-related books since then, and in July of this year he decided to hop aboard the Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/544670315/balance-of-the-planet] train with an updated version of Balance of the Planet, "an educational simulation of environmental-economic issues."

It has not gone well. With four days remaining, a little over $11,000 has been pledged, less than ten percent of the project's $150,000 goal. Crawford is no Tim Schafer, but neither is he an unproven unknown, especially with regards to strategy games like this one. So what went wrong?

"As it turns out, my model was only right for what Kickstarter used to be," Crawford told Gamasutra. "That is, Kickstarter used to be a semi-charitable operation in which people could assist worthy creative projects that might not make it commercially, but still ought to be done. But in the area of games and comics, this is no longer the case."

"What's going on now, which I did not comprehend at the time, is that Kickstarter is a marketing channel [for games], so instead of buying a game after it's made, people just pay for a game before it's made," he continued. "It works in that context, but I had entirely the wrong context in mind, so Balance of the Planet's Kickstarter became a dismal failure."

That may be a valid point, but the truth is that I'd never even heard of Kickstarter prior to Schafer's gambit, which is probably the case for most of you, too. And if we take the Double Fine Adventure as the turning point in Kickstarter hipsterism, then odds are that Crawford's project wouldn't have had a chance even when it was still cool, because it was so underground.

The game itself is also a factor. Crawford takes pains to note that Balance of the Planet is a serious game, and while it will be very educational, won't necessarily be a lot of fun. He also intends to give it away if and when it's complete, meaning that supporters are throwing their money behind it for purely altruistic motives, which is asking a lot from the internet.

Crawford said that if he ever takes another shot at Kickstarter it will only be to raise money to make updated versions of existing games. Funding for new, experimental projects like this one, he added, would be better found elsewhere.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/176458/Chris_Crawford_reflects_on_a_Kickstarter_gone_wrong.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
So, what exactly about Kickstarter has changed, if anything? I don't see how anything about Kickstarter is different other than its larger audience. It was always a gamble; this just looks like a gamble that Chris Crawford lost.

Also, was Kickstarter ever 'Semi-Charitable?' I don't know its history that well but I thought the 'no charities' thing was always there.

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
I'm not sure at what point making an extremely self-congratulatory and highly irritating promotional video to promote an educational environmentalist game seemed like a good idea to him.

It's less that Kickstarter has changed than that it never was what he thought it was in the first place. And now he is upset that his plan failed and is bitter about it.

is that Kickstarter is a marketing channel [for games], so instead of buying a game after it's made, people just pay for a game before it's made,"
Which, granted, seems pretty true. But it seems to be a popular system that is definitely getting funding towards these games, allowing games that would never have seen the light of day from traditional publishing the ability to appear on the market. I'm alright with that.

Seriously watching that video makes me want to punch this guy in the face, its so ANNOYING

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Although you could never do straight charities, you could raise money for charitable causes provided a product was available. For instance, I participated in a Kickstarter to create a comic book with the profits going to support Japan in the wake of the disasters last year.

I think his issue was that he didn't market it well enough. One of the reasons the Double Fine Adventure did so well was that word about it spread very quickly to everybody who was interested. If nobody who cares knows it's happening, it's not gonna hit its target.

Nightmare99

Aug 8, 2012
That promotional video is the worst. I went from not knowing who he was to wanting to stomp on his face inside the first minute.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
So as the first comment at the Gamasutra article says... the way the simulation is described on the Kickstarter page is not going to inspire or excite anyone. Funding it is like eating your mushy peas because your Mom thinks you should.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Nightmare99 said:
That promotional video is the worst. I went from not knowing who he was to wanting to stomp on his face inside the first minute.
Now that I've had my coffee and looked at it a second time I agree with you. THAT'S why he didn't make any money - he's an arse. Mystery solved.

JuliusMagnus said:
I think he confused Kickstarter with IndieGoGo.
I think you've got something there. Taking the recent Wardenclyffe fundraiser as an example it's definitely possible to get huge sums of money for nonprofit causes, and most of the internet STILL probably doesn't know who Tesla was, but he got a million bucks in a week.

So, maybe it's more about how you advertise and what venue you use?

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Could it be that his project was lame and uninteresting? Noooo, can't be that. Things are just too CORPORATE now, man.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I'm sorry Mr. Crawford, but I think the problem is your expectations.

Also, I believe you value your work a lot higher than other people would.

*ahem*
"people could assist worthy creative projects that might not make it commercially, but still ought to be done"

That right there is your problem. No one else thinks this about your project. Welcome to real life.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure we even needed this article. It's essentially a grown man whining because no one else likes his idea. But he can't admit it's a poor idea, so he instead blames the system.

Awesome. Some body get this man a can of "Wake the hell up."

wiersmaster

Apr 12, 2010
So he wants to make Fate of the World [http://store.steampowered.com/app/80200/], but more boring?

I'm not surprised that tis didn't work out. The game doesn't sound like fun at all, the video is pretty bad and to top it off, it doesn't seem like he did a lot of promoting. Contrary to popular believe, Kickstarter is not a site for free money, you still have to make people want to buy what you're selling.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
It's not that kickstarter has failed him, it's that his idea is simply too niche. And yes, people need to like your idea to want to fund it. I don't think any amount of marketing could make this idea seem worthy on kickstarter.

It's an educational game, one of the most hated forms of electronic entertainment ever invented. He shouldn't be marketing this to gamers, he should be proposing it to schools and the government. So I guess in a way he's right, in that he has completely failed the marketing side of his idea. He doesn't know his demographic at all.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Oh god. I didn't watch the video until people mentioned it here. 40 seconds in and I want to beat him. No I've never heard of you. I wasn't even BORN when your games came out. So instead of telling me what you did 20 years ago, tell me why you deserve my money NOW. No, don't tell me why you're doing this, tell me what it is I'm paying you to do and why it's worthwhile.

Also, those screenshots were hideous. It looks like poorly formatted windows forms. Even 'serious' games need good visual design. Heck, Microsoft Word isn't a game at all and it looks better.

Looked at it a bit more, and given how it's set up, there's no reason to make it a game at all. You've got numbers you set and then you click and button and see how it ends up. It's not really a game or even a 'simulation' in the sense that a gamer would think of it. All it really does is plug numbers into formulas and spit out a result. I fail to see why you need funding to build such a thing at all. Far more complex things have been built by people in their spare time.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I always thought Balance of Power was an awfully smug and boring game, and now I see that it just mirrors the man it comes from.

Don't ever, ever whine about people not appreciating you. It annoys the people who don't care, and brightens the day of those who do not, in fact, appreciate you.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I'll be honest, I've never heard of the bloke, I assume I should do, but I don't. I've never even heard of any of the games he's made, and if he retired in 1992, he stopped doing anything 3 months after I was born, meaning I'm not going to have any exposure to him. Saying he worked on a few big name titles for credential purposes is all well and good, but leaving almost half the video for him to just plug himself in a faux shocked way is just indulgent.

Look, I'm all up for funding projects that wouldn't get published otherwise, I donate to a lot of kickstarter stuff that looks cool, and granted they generally have big names behind them, they're people that are still relevant, or still have a lasting effect today (that I can see at least).

The unknowns that I donate to I can see that they're people that genuinely want to make a great game that also I find appealing, and this might be the break they need to make it into the industry, if it doesn't get funded I get my money back and I don't lose anything in the investment.

Balance of Power just looks like such a niche game that the people it would appeal to ain't the sort of people checking out kickstarter or people that even have a massive interest in games. Don't start blaming everyone else just because your game didn't appeal to everyone, there's ways you can make boring subjects fun, (ala Harvest Moon, seriously a farming game? That game should not be as fun as it is.) and this just doesn't cut it, it looks dry, drab and totally frikkin boring. He should be appealing to Education and Government bodies if he wants to make an educational game, if the kickstarter audience isn't interested in it, it's not interested, don't act like everyone else is at fault.

If you want to make an Educational game you have to make it fun, because it's a game, if you can make learning fun then yes, go for it, but otherwise you might as well just read a text book for that sort of stuff.

FelixG said:
Some ambitious projects like Planetary Annihilation get funded like crazy. The difference? PA sounds FUN!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts?ref=category
Thanks for bringing that to my attention, that looks awesome, seriously, fucking MOON ROCKETS? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! Oh how I love kickstarter.