Baldur's Gate 3

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Why does that mean that he's not including the whole company?
He's not, though. Stop wasting everyone's time with this increasingly feeble blather.

You cut out the part...
I have no idea what this shit you're going on about the IGN video even is. As far as I can see it's just something you've made up that I don't feel the need to answer for.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I don't think you need a balanced party in the traditional sense. But if you want a "thief" type character (stealth, trap disarming, etc.) it's pretty easy to do with another character. Just select the requisite skills at creation or the level 4 character development picks. So, a mage, two fighters and a priest is perfectly viable if you want both Karlach and Lae'zel.
An even better way IMO that carries you all the way through the game is a single-level multiclass dip in Rogue with a Fighter (or similar melee class that uses dexterity). It gives you expertise in Sleight of Hand straight away, meaning you can hit double digit bonuses on those checks very easily even in the early game. I did my first playthrough as a Fighter 7/Rogue 5, and never missed a dedicated Rogue.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Just as sleep o'clock approached, a side path distraction during a side quest found during another side path distraction of a previous side quest within a seemingly fractal structure of side path distractions and quests led to discovering these intriguing creatures to converse with.

Ok sleep, sorry, just one more conversation, I swear!
ezgif.com-webp-to-png-7.png

ezgif.com-webp-to-png-108.png

ezgif.com-webp-to-png-109.png

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well I dunno, I'll see. I'll certainly try Karlach in the party since she explicitly requested joining us when we attack her enemies. I kind of like the idea of an all-female adventure party.

On the other hand, I had a whole day to myself and had no desire to go back into this game. We'll see how this go. I promised myself I would at least try to resolve the goblin camp/refugee/druid conflict before making any determinist judgements on my experience with the game as that seems to be the central driving conflict in this part of the game (kind of like when some people insist that someone playing Witcher 3 should complete the Bloody Baron story line before judging that game, though it's an opinion I disagree with).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's unfortunate that sometimes very interesting and spontaneous paths can open due to you messing up, but that it can then get wiped from the table when this is followed up by a death and a reload.

For example, I came into contact with a certain plot related individual who I needed to protect from someone else. I failed in doing so, causing the attacker to kidnap this individual and escape. This set off a sort of 'all is lost' moment that I decided to stay with for dramatic purposes, and I was kinda looking forward to where this path would take my character. But then the cutscene shepards me into another combat scenario in which I die, and I'm forced to reload to before I even met up with the plot related individual. Now, I could just let everything play out as it did before and try to actually survive that following combat scenario, but the spontaneity is now gone. It's a shame the game doesn't auto-save more aggressively right after key events (failures) to keep you going and sticking by your choices and missteps.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I stole a Druegar's boat, and other Druegar caught up to me and demanded to know where the guy who owned the boat was. Their leader jumped onto my ship to confront me.

I pushed him into the water, then jumped onto their ship and pushed all of them into the water too. Now I have two boats.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, don't know if this is something anyone else has run into, and if so what their solution is, but throughout the 60+ hours I've been playing now, I've found that whenever a party member goes down during combat and I heal them/help them up they're pretty much useless for the duration of the fight. After you've healed them out of their downed state they can't take any action for that turn other than healing themselves and pushing (maybe jumping too). And enemies will typically attack the party member with the lowest health, which means the previously downed party member will very likely get downed again (and then ofcourse not be allowed to take action after being healed/helped up), and it just becomes this vicious circle of aid. Especially during tougher fights, a downed party member is just a fucking tar pit.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
So, don't know if this is something anyone else has run into, and if so what their solution is, but throughout the 60+ hours I've been playing now, I've found that whenever a party member goes down during combat and I heal them/help them up they're pretty much useless for the duration of the fight. After you've healed them out of their downed state they can't take any action for that turn other than healing themselves and pushing (maybe jumping too). And enemies will typically attack the party member with the lowest health, which means the previously downed party member will very likely get downed again (and then ofcourse not be allowed to take action after being healed/helped up), and it just becomes this vicious circle of aid. Especially during tougher fights, a downed party member is just a fucking tar pit.
Yep, pretty much. The AI tends to flatten any low HP character - I've certainly noticed AIs engaged with one of your characters move away and take an opportunity attack just to go for your weakest character. You have to be able to plant a heal on them big enough to survive all the likely attacks they'll be facing. I think downed characters do get to drink a healing potion when they rouse, so as long as they've got a powerful one it's usually enough to keep them standing.

I kinda stopped playing BG3. I'd got to Baldur's Gate city, but then my computer needed repairs and I never really got back into it after that was done, not least because some update meant it kept crashing after about 30-60 mins of play. I thought I'd just leave it a few weeks/months until a driver or game update dealt with it.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ok hear me out. What if i can talk the beholder into being my ally and unleshing it onto the mindflayers?

Good plan right?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
While that is not wrong, i still find it wothwile. I mean, healing a downed member costs me either an action or a spell and a bonus action. And even if the healed character gets downed again, that is still damage that does not hit the rest of the party. And if they don't get downed instantly, they can continue tighting.

Also even the dog can help downed characters.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
He's not, though. Stop wasting everyone's time with this increasingly feeble blather.

I have no idea what this shit you're going on about the IGN video even is. As far as I can see it's just something you've made up that I don't feel the need to answer for.
It's more likely he knows how many people work at the company in total vs a breakdown of how many people directly work on making games and when asked how many people, he says the total of what Larian has employed.

The Escapist article that me and another user agreed was poorly written, you said we only thought that because it disagreed with our preconceived notions yet you liking it has nothing to do with your preconceived notions? That's just fucking rich on your end. The Escapist article totally misrepresented the main issues the IGN video and other gamers brought up about BG3.

This is then why we are having this argument, with you guys laying into developers like Obsidian, leaving me to point out that these are not the AAA development mega-studios you seem think they are, and they are not dripping with money and resources, and this is precisely the point many devs were making that BG3 is a work most studios in the cRPG genre cannot readily meet.
It's not about which studio is bigger. Regardless of whether Larian is now bigger than say Obsidian or Bioware, both were bigger than Larian for much of their time. And Larian made very similar RPGs in the Divinity series without being bigger than those studios, BG3 is just DIvinity w/ the DnD license with better production values. The problem I have is most big studios don't even try to make actual good games. Most RPGs don't tend to actually be RPGs and prioritize player choice, that's literally the point of an RPG. Most open world games don't tend to even try to have open ended mission design (like Rockstar). You're telling me a AAA dev doesn't have the team size and funding to make Mercenaries today? I'm literally asking exactly Mercenaries size and scope, though at least improve to graphics to HD (since it was a PS2/Xbox game). You're telling me a AAA dev can't do that today?!?! The issue isn't that they can't do it, it's that they don't want to do it because the open ended mission design of Mercenaries is hard to do much like implementing actual player choice into a game is hard to do. AAA studios don't like to do the hard things and that's what makes games better, that's why I don't like them because they just give me the same games with shinier graphics and bigger worlds, I don't want that. Improving enemy AI is hard to do, that's why enemy AI has been stagnant for like 2 decades; FEAR from 2005 still has arguably the best enemy AI for example. Larian is legit trying to make better RPGs, most studios are not (and it's usually AAA studios that are the worst offenders). Bioware used to make legit RPGs, but they lost all of their talent right around the post Mass Effect trilogy time, I'm guessing the size of the team was biggest post ME trilogy and the actual scope of their games drastically dropped with bigger size team and more money.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
It's not about which studio is bigger. Regardless of whether Larian is now bigger than say Obsidian or Bioware, both were bigger than Larian for much of their time. And Larian made very similar RPGs in the Divinity series without being bigger than those studios, BG3 is just DIvinity w/ the DnD license with better production values. The problem I have is most big studios don't even try to make actual good games. Most RPGs don't tend to actually be RPGs and prioritize player choice, that's literally the point of an RPG. Most open world games don't tend to even try to have open ended mission design (like Rockstar). You're telling me a AAA dev doesn't have the team size and funding to make Mercenaries today? I'm literally asking exactly Mercenaries size and scope, though at least improve to graphics to HD (since it was a PS2/Xbox game). You're telling me a AAA dev can't do that today?!?! The issue isn't that they can't do it, it's that they don't want to do it because the open ended mission design of Mercenaries is hard to do much like implementing actual player choice into a game is hard to do. AAA studios don't like to do the hard things and that's what makes games better, that's why I don't like them because they just give me the same games with shinier graphics and bigger worlds, I don't want that. Improving enemy AI is hard to do, that's why enemy AI has been stagnant for like 2 decades; FEAR from 2005 still has arguably the best enemy AI for example. Larian is legit trying to make better RPGs, most studios are not (and it's usually AAA studios that are the worst offenders). Bioware used to make legit RPGs, but they lost all of their talent right around the post Mass Effect trilogy time, I'm guessing the size of the team was biggest post ME trilogy and the actual scope of their games drastically dropped with bigger size team and more money.
1695691096983.jpeg

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The Escapist article that me and another user agreed was poorly written, you said we only thought that because it disagreed with our preconceived notions yet you liking it has nothing to do with your preconceived notions? That's just fucking rich on your end. The Escapist article totally misrepresented the main issues the IGN video and other gamers brought up about BG3.
The IGN video is patently shit, for the reasons stated above.

It's not about which studio is bigger. Regardless of whether Larian is now bigger than say Obsidian or Bioware, both were bigger than Larian for much of their time.
I'm sure that sounded like it was a useful point in your own head. "Obsidian was once a larger company than Larian" (if that's even true) still doesn't mean that Obsidian was a large company to make a hugely ambitious project.

You're telling me a AAA dev doesn't have the team size and funding... Most RPGs don't tend to actually be RPGs and prioritize player choice
That depends on what a developer is trying to do.

So, think about this that a simple, regular old RPG is like a railroad. It takes someone from A to B, no deviations. RPGs then developed mostly towards simple alternative options to resolve quests and multiple endings. The player is still on a railroad, it's just that they now have several tracks they can switch between and a small choice of end destinations.

BG3 is complex in the sense that it has a highly developed world and interactions. But it's still a world that's entirely crafted, and a set of rail tracks. You have a vast ability to interact with the world, but only within the limits that they have written for you. Once done something is done and over, and you have to move on. You're on fixed series of tracks that only leads to resolving a mindflayer invasion.

Now let's look at where, say, Bethesda has been going. There's still a rail track, but Starfield is allowing you to get off the train, go where you like, even just sit around in the countryside and ignore the rail journey entirely. That is offering you a world of opportunities to do stuff in a way that BG3 absolutely does not. And if you want to make a point about player choice, this is a form of player choice, just a different one. The cost Starfield has paid for offering this form of choice is that compared to BG3 many of the mechanics are relatively shallow - the fetch and fight missions with stealth, persuade, fighting, etc. and limited environment interaction haven't really progressed at all.

I'd also note that RPGs where "player choice" has often been little more than picking the skills, spells, equipment and often with very linear plots have a long and distinguished history, and are still enjoyed by many today.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Well, finished my second playthrough. Just as enjoyable the second time round, but man, there's just so much patching still to be done with this game. For example, the Fire Myrmidon's Haste ability currently does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to. The orbs of negation in the final battle are completely fucked, as is a lot of that final conflict. This time I picked the evil choice at the end.
Choosing to dominate the elder brain with the Emperor (my character fucked both the squid and the MILF succubus) and becoming the new Absolute. And fuck me that was a letdown. I'd been building this whole headcanon of my character being a tyrant in disguise, and when time came he would choose to subjugate the world in a heartbeat. But the final cutscene plays, we get the big "evil overlord" moment and... that's it. No ending cinematic, no closure with the characters (though they are all your thralls now so...), no seeing what happens next, no army of mindflayers kneeling in front of you, nothing with Mystra or Withers or Raphael... it just feels so half-assed and thrown together. This should be the culmination of an evil (non-Durge) campaign, and instead you get a distinct sense of the DM not having anything prepped for this outcome, so they just randomly make something up.
170 hours totaled across 2 total playthroughs, and another 2 started (Wyll and Dark Urge). Will I now finally be done with this game for a while? We'll see.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well, finished my second playthrough. Just as enjoyable the second time round, but man, there's just so much patching still to be done with this game. For example, the Fire Myrmidon's Haste ability currently does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to. The orbs of negation in the final battle are completely fucked, as is a lot of that final conflict. This time I picked the evil choice at the end.
Choosing to dominate the elder brain with the Emperor (my character fucked both the squid and the MILF succubus) and becoming the new Absolute. And fuck me that was a letdown. I'd been building this whole headcanon of my character being a tyrant in disguise, and when time came he would choose to subjugate the world in a heartbeat. But the final cutscene plays, we get the big "evil overlord" moment and... that's it. No ending cinematic, no closure with the characters (though they are all your thralls now so...), no seeing what happens next, no army of mindflayers kneeling in front of you, nothing with Mystra or Withers or Raphael... it just feels so half-assed and thrown together. This should be the culmination of an evil (non-Durge) campaign, and instead you get a distinct sense of the DM not having anything prepped for this outcome, so they just randomly make something up.
170 hours totaled across 2 total playthroughs, and another 2 started (Wyll and Dark Urge). Will I now finally be done with this game for a while? We'll see.

I mean, true to the spirit of the "series"?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Been busy with other stuff so not put that much time here, but I finally got to playing, and man my greed got the better of me. I got this evil bottle off of a locked chest I scammed out of some shady thief-merchant types and I opened it in camp cause I needed someone with good lockpicking skills, and in the bottle was a freaking gazer. He wasn't too tough but because the encounter took place in camp apparently Scratch joined the fight too and I don't know how but he got killed at some point, and scrolls of revivify don't work on him.

Man, my luck with pets in Larian games continues to be terrible. In OS2 I somehow got this cat that follows you killed by walking too close to a guard who shot it with an arrow out of the blue for no reason.

At least I found the hideout of the friends of the guy who was transporting the evil bottle and took em all out to quell my dragon rage. And now I'm exploring the magical mushroom maze underneath their hideout.