Baldur's Gate 3

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Have a feeling TotK will be unseated as front runner for GotY.
I doubt it. You'll get a few YouTubers here and there; they'll have their own game of the year, or put Baldur on. For or a majority of the gaming press, Tears of the Kingdom is going to be on many professional journalist list, because of Zelda bias & whining Nintendo fans get butt hurt of "the best game ever!" not being on the list or number one.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
As of this moment, it looks like BG3 is inviting all the "I'm better than you" smug nerd takes. It's like Elden Ring * 10 if this keeps up. It's the assholes that insist on only listening to music on vinyl or lecturing you for your chicken not being free range or whatever bullshit hoity-toity snobbery we encounter, but in game form. That's just the internet vibe I'm getting all over the place. So I kinda hate this game now.
Bluntly, having gone in some way, I think parts of it are... less than ideal.

The autosave seems kind of shit. So if you accidentally bump into an encounter that wipes you out in short order (very possible), if you forgot to save, chances are you've just had a lot of gameplay wiped out, and this is just a waste of your time and very annoying. I don't like the task thing with some dice stuff - this is overdesigned and just makes skill checks waste more of your time. The camera doesn't zoom out far enough for my liking, so inefficiency having to adjust the camera view to see things, fiddly and irritating.

The map is heavily overdesigned, at least in the starter area: a maze of canyons. It's confusing and cluttered and even claustrophobic, because the outdoors doesn't feel like the outdoors. The minimap then reflects this too.

Where is possibly is quite good is that it allows lots of interesting interactions. Chuck skulls and bones at baddies if you feel like it. I'd be interested to see how far this goes.

Reactions: Satinavian
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I doubt it. You'll get a few YouTubers here and there; they'll have their own game of the year, or put Baldur on. For or a majority of the gaming press, Tears of the Kingdom is going to be on many professional journalist list, because of Zelda bias & whining Nintendo fans get butt hurt of "the best game ever!" not being on the list or number one.

Idk, this sounds like a big deal. Here’s a massive, choice-heavy RPG sequel that Larian has all but pulled off, that people have been waiting over two decades for. Meanwhile TotK is basically more BotW but quirkier. If it’s between the two I think BG3 could sway all but the most fervent Nintendo fanboys and girls.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
"But these people are making ROLE-PLAYING GAMES in ALL CAPS in such an impressive way that it basically is it's own category of game."

Exactly, it's both a huge compliment and yet extremely sad. This is supposed to be par for the course for an RPG, this is what these games are supposed to be.

Also, love how he mentions this isn't a "podcast" game. Yeah, if you can play a game and listen to a podcast, it's probably not a good game. Any piece of media should strive to be good enough that it demands your full attention. If I can do something else while playing a game or watching a movie, then it's not very good.
I beg to differ. Maybe on first playthrough not, but I used to play Zelda: ALttP constantly while listening to the radio or CDs as a kid, and it was always good fun. Same with F-Zero, Mario Kart, DKC, Blast Corps, fighting games, etc.

I think it really depends on the driver of the game, which in BG3’s case would ultimately be story. Then the deciding factor would be, how engaging is the story? If it’s good enough to turn off any other media while playing, then your point stands.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Idk, this sounds like a big deal. Here’s a massive, choice-heavy RPG sequel that Larian has all but pulled off, that people have been waiting over two decades for. Meanwhile TotK is basically more BotW but quirkier. If it’s between the two I think BG3 could sway all but the most fervent Nintendo fanboys and girls.
We'll see how it goes, but you can't count on most of the gaming press for crap. Especially when it comes to heavy Zelda bias. BG3 I do wish the best for, and I see something special, but I highly doubt most of the press is going to put that if their game of the year.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
"But these people are making ROLE-PLAYING GAMES in ALL CAPS in such an impressive way that it basically is it's own category of game."

Exactly, it's both a huge compliment and yet extremely sad. This is supposed to be par for the course for an RPG, this is what these games are supposed to be.

Also, love how he mentions this isn't a "podcast" game. Yeah, if you can play a game and listen to a podcast, it's probably not a good game. Any piece of media should strive to be good enough that it demands your full attention. If I can do something else while playing a game or watching a movie, then it's not very good.
I disagree. There are lots of great games i played with a podcast on. Like Wow, diablo 2, grinding sessions in final fantasy, elite dangerous, pokemon, animal crossing, stardew valley, etc etc.

I dont think the idea of playing a game while listening to a podcast or watching a show is a problem with the game.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
While I don't share or understand your hang-up with Zelda, I do agree it's the contender for GOTY.
Starfield is the only game with a chance to beat it but it has to be freaking spectacular, which I know no one here has faith in, but it's possible. Both games have massive fanbases in the general public and there was/is a genuine desire to see them be great. Starfield just also has a min-anti-fanbase cheering for it to fail, unlike TOTK, which is why it has to be near-perfect to win GOTY.

But plenty folks love Zelda and/or Bethesda, and while I may be neutral or ambivalent on both, I don't think it's healthy to shit on those who do.
People are LOVING TOTK. Loving it to death- I don't see how it's constructive to shit on it or the players. Especially if we preach on and on about broken games and mtx and all that stuff, and here's a game that's just a game that delivers what it promises and people are having fun with it, which is the thing we always say we want.

And I'm someone who had it up to here *holds hand up to eyes* with being lectured at by the internet about how stupid I am for being bored by BotW.

BG3's fanbase is niche, that's why it's hilarious to see its reception. It's like if Pitchfork started promoting obscure avant-garde experimental jazz or something. And I respect obscure experimental avant-garde jazz I just don't expect regular people to wanna listen to it. And no matter how much game critics blow smoke up its ass or how actually great it may be, it's not winning GOTY.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While I don't share or understand your hang-up with Zelda, I do agree it's the contender for GOTY.
Starfield is the only game with a chance to beat it but it has to be freaking spectacular, which I know no one here has faith in, but it's possible. Both games have massive fanbases in the general public and there was/is a genuine desire to see them be great. Starfield just also has a min-anti-fanbase cheering for it to fail, unlike TOTK, which is why it has to be near-perfect to win GOTY.

But plenty folks love Zelda and/or Bethesda, and while I may be neutral or ambivalent on both, I don't think it's healthy to shit on those who do.
People are LOVING TOTK. Loving it to death- I don't see how it's constructive to shit on it or the players. Especially if we preach on and on about broken games and mtx and all that stuff, and here's a game that's just a game that delivers what it promises and people are having fun with it, which is the thing we always say we want.

And I'm someone who had it up to here *holds hand up to eyes* with being lectured at by the internet about how stupid I am for being bored by BotW.

BG3's fanbase is niche, that's why it's hilarious to see its reception. It's like if Pitchfork started promoting obscure avant-garde experimental jazz or something. And I respect obscure experimental avant-garde jazz I just don't expect regular people to wanna listen to it. And no matter how much game critics blow smoke up its ass or how actually great it may be, it's not winning GOTY.
I don't have a "hang up" with Zelda. I have a problem with gaming journalism and being dishonest, or just playing favorites, because it's Nintendo and not wanting to piss off the irate fanboys and fangirls. I respect the franchise to a degree, but I'm mostly indifferent to it. The most fun I've ever had with the franchise are to spin-offs, and Twilight Princess.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
BG3's fanbase is niche, that's why it's hilarious to see its reception.
It's a bit niche (first person RPGs tend to sell much better), but should still be capable of shifting well over a million copies on PC alone if it does well. However, hearing about the budget rumours (over $100 million suggested!?), I can't help but feel it's not going to make much profit, if it makes any at all.

Starfield is the only game with a chance to beat it but it has to be freaking spectacular, which I know no one here has faith in, but it's possible.
Starfield will do well. It will undoubtedly plenty of flak too, because as you note some people really seem to have it in for Bethesda and it will inevitably have issues that need to be patched out over time.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
BG3's fanbase is niche, that's why it's hilarious to see its reception.
BG in particular yes, but the DnD fanbase? I dunno, maybe I have a distorted view on what's popular, but this always felt like it was going to be one of those things up there with Dragon Age in terms of popularity.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
BG in particular yes, but the DnD fanbase? I dunno, maybe I have a distorted view on what's popular, but this always felt like it was going to be one of those things up there with Dragon Age in terms of popularity.
Maybe if there’d only ever been Origins, but since II and Inquisition exist, DragonAge’s reputation is no longer what it once was in terms of existing in the same space as Baldur’s Gate.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Dumb question prob but this is still like old school cRPGs where if you die, you actually die and the whole game ends?
I mean you get sent back to your last save, so save often or you'll lose a lot of progress. I lost basically most of the playthrough up to that poin (which is only like 30 minutes tops) so no big deal. But lesson learned, SAVE OFTEN. Also I was playing on the hardest mode because I thought I was a hotshot DnD player....but apparently I'm not as hot shit as i thought lol

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I mean you get sent back to your last save, so save often or you'll lose a lot of progress. I lost basically most of the playthrough up to that poin (which is only like 30 minutes tops) so no big deal. But lesson learned, SAVE OFTEN. Also I was playing on the hardest mode because I thought I was a hotshot DnD player....but apparently I'm not as hot shit as i thought lol
I cant speak for BG3, but DnD rule aren't very good at avoiding incredibly broken build. Because of the relatively simple nature of the system with a large amount of trait/perk, you can often end up with crazy amount of bonus stacking on top of each others (ie having AC 50 when the game is expecting AC30-40 makes you pretty much immortal). If the hardest difficulty setting cater to those build then there's not much someone can do outside of accidentally stumbling onto one of those broken build.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I cant speak for BG3, but DnD rule aren't very good at avoiding incredibly broken build. Because of the relatively simple nature of the system with a large amount of trait/perk, you can often end up with crazy amount of bonus stacking on top of each others (ie having AC 50 when the game is expecting AC30-40 makes you pretty much immortal). If the hardest difficulty setting cater to those build then there's not much someone can do outside of accidentally stumbling onto one of those broken build.
Yes assuming you live to reach those levels. However I was level 2, which is like....very dangerous still. Players don't really start outscaling the monsters until around level 7+ depending on the class. But I'd say anything below level 5 is exceptionally deadly.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yes assuming you live to reach those levels. However I was level 2, which is like....very dangerous still. Players don't really start outscaling the monsters until around level 7+ depending on the class. But I'd say anything below level 5 is exceptionally deadly.
True, but the early level are almost always the hardest by quite a long shot, usually have to rely on consumable to get trough the early level but then even hardest difficulty can be smooth sailing.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I cant speak for BG3, but DnD rule aren't very good at avoiding incredibly broken build.
I think the other intrinsic problem with computer RPGs is that they overwhelmingly tend to favour min-maxing in a way that pen and paper does not. Granted, there's often plenty of "playing the system" with either, but whereas a human DM can tailor the encounters to the party or otherwise arrange things, a computer game tends to be set up with a 'challenge' that the player builds a character to meet.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think the other intrinsic problem with computer RPGs is that they overwhelmingly tend to favour min-maxing in a way that pen and paper does not. Granted, there's often plenty of "playing the system" with either, but whereas a human DM can tailor the encounters to the party or otherwise arrange things, a computer game tends to be set up with a 'challenge' that the player builds a character to meet.
Larion is pretty good about tailoring the encounters in the different difficulties. And outside the most difficult challenge (which you KNOW is going to be hard) you can adjust the difficulty up and down as desired. It's not as adaptable as a human, but it's about as good as a set of perameters can be.