Baldur's Gate 3

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
This game is absolutely fantastic. They've managed to make the story feel like a real DnD game in which you stumble across a dozen different story threads, and things to pursue, on top of just seemingly random shit.
Whilst I agree that gets some feel for a RPG, the mechanics are not good. Firstly, D&D. But then the UI is clumsy, and the gameplay is slow and ponderous so takes frigging ages to get anything done. The incidental fights are too high intensity, so it's got the classic problem having to rest all the time, and the rest mechanic is seriously bloated. You need to manually save all the time because the autosave is too sparse, meaning that if you forget you can face long re-treads - it's not that hard to run into fights you can't handle. I'm also not keen on the 230,000 boxes littering the environment most of which contain a load of crap, but you feel the need to search just in case one of them has a magic gizmo or something that starts a quest.

The scripting is in ways very poor. I'm just not particularly gripped by the plot. Also, some of it is just embarrassing: at some point I completed a major mission, went into the camp and was offered romance by every single companion. This makes it feel like a wank fantasy for teenagers, never mind robbing the NPCs of depth that the rest of the story might aspire to give them.

It's not a bad game by any means and I do appreciate some of what the devs have tried, but ultimately it's too flawed to be great.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Whilst I agree that gets some feel for a RPG, the mechanics are not good. Firstly, D&D. But then the UI is clumsy, and the gameplay is slow and ponderous so takes frigging ages to get anything done. The incidental fights are too high intensity, so it's got the classic problem having to rest all the time, and the rest mechanic is seriously bloated. You need to manually save all the time because the autosave is too sparse, meaning that if you forget you can face long re-treads - it's not that hard to run into fights you can't handle. I'm also not keen on the 230,000 boxes littering the environment most of which contain a load of crap, but you feel the need to search just in case one of them has a magic gizmo or something that starts a quest.

The scripting is in ways very poor. I'm just not particularly gripped by the plot. Also, some of it is just embarrassing: at some point I completed a major mission, went into the camp and was offered romance by every single companion. This makes it feel like a wank fantasy for teenagers, never mind robbing the NPCs of depth that the rest of the story might aspire to give them.

It's not a bad game by any means and I do appreciate some of what the devs have tried, but ultimately it's too flawed to be great.
It's funny because now I am on the reverse situation that Enjin accused me of in my Remnant impressions. I have had no problems with the mechanics nor have I felt any problems with the pacing of the game. But you have.

It's almost as if people experience games differently which is my it is important that you read or watch lots of reviews of a game before making judgements because you can based a decision on lots of opinions rather than gambling off one.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
At the risk of semantic navel-gazing, maybe we all have different ideas of "niche." To me, selling a lot on Steam means it's a successful niche product because Steam means you're just talking about PC players. To me, console and mobile gaming are mainstream. And I know PC gaming has gotten bigger of late but still. I mean I don't have the numbers in front of me but in my mind, Tears of the Kingdom is a mainstream game 'cause Nintendo is a mainstream product for kids and families and adults, while PC is for... well, it's a big niche, the nerds who know how to buy/build/maintain a gaming rig.

But in GOTY discussions we're talking about critics and reviewers, so who knows. I will just be SHOCKED if it beats out TOTK or Starfield for any awards it's nominated against except for maybe writing.
If Game_A sells more than Game_B regardless of what it sells on, I'd say Game_A has the bigger audience. I was trying to find Skyrim numbers mainly due to the modding and thinking it's very possible it sold more on PC, and they didn't seem very accurate/up-to-date since I came across something recent that said it sold 60 million total but no break down. I did find that Witcher 3 sold 43% on PC vs all consoles. The only reason I bought Divinity 2 on PC was the modding, the game doesn't even need a video card to play well (which I didn't have and still 40+ frames on just about max settings). There really isn't much to maintain or build with a gaming PC, you can get ridiculous with it obviously. PC is a lot more friendlier than say 10 years ago. I'm in IT and didn't even PC game much at all because it just wasn't worth the time and effort when you know the console version is just gonna work. Now, you can mainly buy a game and be pretty confident it'll just work and with a controller too. Even something like Steam returns are relatively new and makes a huge difference.

Nothing is inherently niche. If tomorrow 20 million people decide to play hardcore hex wargames, hardcore hex wargames have gone mainstream mass market.

This is hard to say, because BG3 also has the BG brand. A lot of that excitement is about the resurrection of a legendary series. It has Larian's brand name. It might be little more than getting the marketing and hype machine just right.

I mean, I pity people buying BG3 because of the D&D system, because the D&D system is kind of shit (Pathfinder, being a D&D spin-off, has much the same problem). Numerous devs have avoided it simply because they don't want to be bogged down by that shitness. Certainly, though D&D has brand recognition.

I'm just going to say right now, after about 2 days of playing BG3, I think Pillars of Eternity 1/2 and Wasteland 2/3 are significantly better games. BG is pretty good in certain ways, but deeply mediocre in others.
DnD isn't even too difficult to play, magic users are the most complex. Just playing a rogue or ranger is super easy to figure out and play with normal gaming knowledge. I know I would hate the writing style of Pillars and don't like the real-time/pause combat. Wasteland 3 like I mentioned has horribly unintuitive stats that you need a FAQ to figure how to even level up each character. The actual combat gameplay was pretty standard XCOMish which is already basically DnD (move action, attack action) but with guns. The thing that mainly makes the combat strategic is positioning, which isn't possible in a typical JRPG where it's just both sides standing across from each other and you lose most of the strategy. I know DnD 5e and it will make for a solid system for a video game (better than Pathfinder 2e that I also play). One of the better things about using DnD or Pathfinder is no fucking loot system or gear score bullshit.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This game is absolutely fantastic. They've managed to make the story feel like a real DnD game in which you stumble across a dozen different story threads, and things to pursue, on top of just seemingly random shit.

I stumbled into a dog pacing a dead body, and I happened to have a potion of animal speaking so I talked to him and he was protecting his master who was dead. I tried talking him into joining me but failed when I yelled at the body to prove him dead. The dog attacked me and I had to fight him. So I turned everything non-lethal and knocked the dog out. Then I robbed his owner who happened to have magic armor, so....neat.

A random choice had me ending up to kill one of the companions, just dead outright. Oops.

Fought an Owl Bear in a random cave, got fucking murdered. Reloaded and realized I needed a long rest, so i did that and was able to beat the boss that time....bearly (lol). There was a baby owl bear in the cave and I killed it, but I took an owl bear egg and it will become my most powerful minion.

Great game.
Try using talk with the dead on the guy, maybe he can tell his dog he's dead.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
You can offer the dog to come to your camp if the master does not awake and he will eventually do that, And then you have a dog at your camp.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
If Game_A sells more than Game_B regardless of what it sells on, I'd say Game_A has the bigger audience. I was trying to find Skyrim numbers mainly due to the modding and thinking it's very possible it sold more on PC, and they didn't seem very accurate/up-to-date since I came across something recent that said it sold 60 million total but no break down. I did find that Witcher 3 sold 43% on PC vs all consoles. The only reason I bought Divinity 2 on PC was the modding, the game doesn't even need a video card to play well (which I didn't have and still 40+ frames on just about max settings). There really isn't much to maintain or build with a gaming PC, you can get ridiculous with it obviously. PC is a lot more friendlier than say 10 years ago. I'm in IT and didn't even PC game much at all because it just wasn't worth the time and effort when you know the console version is just gonna work. Now, you can mainly buy a game and be pretty confident it'll just work and with a controller too. Even something like Steam returns are relatively new and makes a huge difference.
Skyrim did about 10-12 million physical copies in its first week, though that was probably the console side of things, because physical copies. (Ironically, technically out "sold" by Fallout Shelter, for Bethesda by about 40 million lifetime now)

I don't know that Steam maintained (at least released) figures at that point as even the sites that track concurrent players and stuff only go back to summer 2012.

As the rest goes, as recently as 2019 I was still tripping over annoying bugs and bits in PC games (oh hey, progresson stopping bug that only occurs on AMD, too bad it was far enough in that Steam refund doesn't matter). The friends that do play on PC are constantly tripping over issues with the multiple launchers and controller supports (and in the domain of voice chat, microphone stealing)

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I don't know that Steam maintained (at least released) figures at that point as even the sites that track concurrent players and stuff only go back to summer 2012.
The general rule of thumb is multiply Steam reviews by 50 to get Steam sales. Although estimate lower (20-40) sales per review where there are a few hundred or fewer reviews.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Let me sum up a way this game gets things very wrong. Spoilered, just in case.

So, I've cleared out lots of the starter area. As a key mission from pretty much the start, you are told to go find the Gith creche and this is important, and I've opened up the way. I head off to find them (I was level 4 when I got there), and it instantly triggers a near-unavoidable fight. I'm guessing if you pick exactly the right conversation options - and these are far from obvious - you might be able to avoid it. So, I went away and cleared out all of the starter region to come back at level 5... same result. You can win it, I guess, with massive preparations. But the way the mission is set-up, most players might not even expect to trigger a combat (especially one that severe) and so would not make those preparations. I mean, you've got a Gith to argue your party's case even if the whole race are arseholes, you've been told to go there and ask for help, and the Gith have a fucking red dragon around, which screams "You are not going to fight here". And indeed you don't have to fight the dragon because it flies off, but what's left can cream you embarrassingly easily anyway.

I don't mind triggering fights by flubbing conversation if they're reasonable, but railroading you into a near impossible fight is bullshit game design.

So, instead of spending hours hunting round for stuff to prepare for the fight or picking through conversation options, I decided to level up and come back. With nothing else except the mountain pass that tells you not to go there because you're too low level, I went to the Underdark. So I set off and got to an area where the player is kind of warned because there are petrified drow, and anything that petrifies is nasty. But even still, the Beholder popped up via a cutscene, gets surprise and and an entire free round to summon some allies and knock out half the party (at the level 5 I was) before I even got a move in. Well, fuck you. If the devs made the Beholder visible, I could decide for myself whether to risk taking it on or that this isn't the way I should go, but I've not even been given that choice. I've just had my party arbitrarily wiped out and forced to reload. Again.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

So, I've cleared out lots of the starter area. As a key mission from pretty much the start, you are told to go find the Gith creche and this is important, and I've opened up the way. I head off to find them (I was level 4 when I got there), and it instantly triggers a near-unavoidable fight. I'm guessing if you pick exactly the right conversation options - and these are far from obvious - you might be able to avoid it. So, I went away and cleared out all of the starter region to come back at level 5... same result. You can win it, I guess, with massive preparations. But the way the mission is set-up, most players might not even expect to trigger a combat (especially one that severe) and so would not make those preparations. I mean, you've got a Gith to argue your party's case even if the whole race are arseholes, you've been told to go there and ask for help, and the Gith have a fucking red dragon around, which screams "You are not going to fight here". And indeed you don't have to fight the dragon because it flies off, but what's left can cream you embarrassingly easily anyway.

I don't mind triggering fights by flubbing conversation if they're reasonable, but railroading you into a near impossible fight is bullshit game design.

So, instead of spending hours hunting round for stuff to prepare for the fight or picking through conversation options, I decided to level up and come back. With nothing else except the mountain pass that tells you not to go there because you're too low level, I went to the Underdark. So I set off and got to an area where the player is kind of warned because there are petrified drow, and anything that petrifies is nasty. But even still, the Beholder popped up via a cutscene, gets surprise and and an entire free round to summon some allies and knock out half the party (at the level 5 I was) before I even got a move in. Well, fuck you. If the devs made the Beholder visible, I could decide for myself whether to risk taking it on or that this isn't the way I should go, but I've not even been given that choice. I've just had my party arbitrarily wiped out and forced to reload. Again.
This sounds kinda like Monster Hunter but spiked with bits of Darkest Dungeon and it’s altogether buried under more dialogue to sift through.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah, that was a pretty general schtick in BG2 too. Congrats you walked into the random door and there's a demilich in this house that has multiple save or die (possibly excluding the save part on one, even) spells. And if it hits your main character it was instant game over in those.

Generally this problem comes up because D&D videogames feel absolutely and inherently compelled to hurl the high level stuff at you. (Also why every game must include Drow, Mind Flayers, Beholders, Dragons, Golems, Vampires, Liches, et al. Despite the fact that a level 1-12 campaign would *maybe* at best encounter one such thing as an ultimate boss).

Kind of vaguely related because a friend of mine was mentioning on how their's apparently some online blowback about whichever character being "racist" to the Gith party member. While I haven't kept up with how Forgotten Realms has gone in 5th ed, the Gith are very dangerous chaotic neutral at best, alien invaders. The only odd part about someone being leery of them is that they even know what the hell a Githyanki is ot begin with. (From what I've osmosed, the game sort of 50/50s on this with the mind flayers, everyone seems to know exactly what the parasite is, which is dumb, but at least people who can address it are rare)

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So the reviews are starting to come out, both users and critics are over 90 which is pretty great.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yeah, that was a pretty general schtick in BG2 too. Congrats you walked into the random door and there's a demilich in this house that has multiple save or die (possibly excluding the save part on one, even) spells. And if it hits your main character it was instant game over in those.
Yep, BG 1 & 2 did have those issues too - very much a feature of older RPGs generally. Newer ones have tended to be better at either guiding you to the right places and/or warning you away from situations where you're going to get your arse handed to you until you're a suitable level.

Generally this problem comes up because D&D videogames feel absolutely and inherently compelled to hurl the high level stuff at you. (Also why every game must include Drow, Mind Flayers, Beholders, Dragons, Golems, Vampires, Liches, et al. Despite the fact that a level 1-12 campaign would *maybe* at best encounter one such thing as an ultimate boss).
Agreed. Here I think the issue is that they've got one game and feel the need to be cool and amazing, so they pack in as much of the exotic stuff as possible. I swear I'm not sure I've even met a single dwarf yet, but I'm drowning in illithids, tieflings, devils, drow, etc.

If you think about something like Skyrim, most of the world is "normal" - fields and farmers and wolves and bears, etc. So when the player eventually comes across a place like Blackreach, it really feels like you have found something incredible. If there's too much of that from the start, some of the wow factor goes. There's also a ton of power creep all over BG3 anyway, even if just that it feels like every second punk-ass 7hp goblin has a flask of grease and a fire arrow. (But then in the original Baldur's Gate, you went into some kobold caverns and the kobolds all had fire arrows with an extra +2d6 damage).

Kind of vaguely related because a friend of mine was mentioning on how their's apparently some online blowback about whichever character being "racist" to the Gith party member. While I haven't kept up with how Forgotten Realms has gone in 5th ed, the Gith are very dangerous chaotic neutral at best, alien invaders. The only odd part about someone being leery of them is that they even know what the hell a Githyanki is ot begin with. (From what I've osmosed, the game sort of 50/50s on this with the mind flayers, everyone seems to know exactly what the parasite is, which is dumb, but at least people who can address it are rare)
Yes.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Hey, sorry if I missed your previous assessments but how is BG3 compared to Pillars or Divinity?

I haven't bought BG3 yet. Many of the things you are saying were real bugbears for me for BG 1 and 2

It sounds like BG3 is much like Divinity OS2 where you just go walking around bumping into enemies to see if you can win. If you cant, you just have to remember you cant go that way yet and walk around. And then probably forget the fight before moving to the next Act. If the combat wasnt so fun, I probably would have given up. And it probably DnD rules in BG3 meaning it incentivizes you not to use spells

I did not find the same issues with Pillars, mainly because almost every action in combat actually hits, even if its minor, and reduces time spent on combat. But Diviniity had some really cool combat puzzles that made the experience fun

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Drow, Mind Flayers and Beholders are famously iconic IP of WotC. While Drow do exist in the OGL they were deemed somewhat safe until recently (but not anymore), the other two are considered the most iconic monsters that only exist in D&D and are strongly connected to the trademark. And dragons is in the name of the game.

I would guess that the inclusion of all those are according to WotCs interests.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Hey, sorry if I missed your previous assessments but how is BG3 compared to Pillars or Divinity?

I haven't bought BG3 yet. Many of the things you are saying were real bugbears for me for BG 1 and 2

It sounds like BG3 is much like Divinity OS2 where you just go walking around bumping into enemies to see if you can win. If you cant, you just have to remember you cant go that way yet and walk around. And then probably forget the fight before moving to the next Act. If the combat wasnt so fun, I probably would have given up. And it probably DnD rules in BG3 meaning it incentivizes you not to use spells

I did not find the same issues with Pillars, mainly because almost every action in combat actually hits, even if its minor, and reduces time spent on combat. But Diviniity had some really cool combat puzzles that made the experience fun
I don't know Divinity, but I think Pillars is signficantly better than BG3.

I suppose there are lots of things that kind of bother me - as you say, the D&D system tends to promote not using spells (they created increasingly powerful cantrips to get round this to some extent) or resting all the time. And you will be resting a lot because so many fights - at least early on - push your party hard. There are also two "short rest" abilities per proper rest to recharge some HP and abilities, so assume three significant fights per rest. However, I find (long) resting often immersion-breaking. Your party is halfway through a fortress, and you take an 8h time-out? The enemy isn't going to notice all that sound of battle and the corpses you left strewn in the entrance hall to call in a ton of reinforcements and hunt for who did it? And the rest mechanic in BG3 is super-cumbersome. It is fair to say plenty of these problems existed in BG 1&2 as well, but we should have moved on in the last 20 years.

If you can "explore freely" but this means encountering fights you can't win or dodge, then you can't really explore freely. There are better ways to manage this than death and reload. Avoiding fights with dialogue is fine, but they should be predictable by the dialogue choices (and potentially guided to the right paths by clues), and not overly RNG dependent (D&D I find very RNJesusy). If a fight after dialogue is the end result, it needs to be proportional to the circumstances. I quite liked Pathfinder, which has some truly horrific battles... but optional. They are dropped in as challenges for players who want to undertake them, and not mandatory to progress- this is nice design.

Broadly, I just don't think BG3 is that well written. It's gone for exotic (illithids, devils, blahblahblah) rather than deep or sophisticated. As a story, often the more players have options the weaker the narrative is, and I think that's the case here. For instance, 8 companions all of whom are apparently bisexual and interested in the PC because you carried out some tasks, because the devs want players to have their pick of digital fuckbuddy: but that devalues them as characters. That was their design choice, and fine, because I guess a lot of players want that. It's not necessarily my style - I feel it's like being given what appears to be a complex, real world with "choices matter", but also rendering it superficial and eager to please.

However, whilst this all sounds very negative and I do find elements of the game frankly very annoying, generally I'd say it's a good game.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I suppose there are lots of things that kind of bother me - as you say, the D&D system tends to promote not using spells (they created increasingly powerful cantrips to get round this to some extent) or resting all the time. And you will be resting a lot because so many fights - at least early on - push your party hard. There are also two "short rest" abilities per proper rest to recharge some HP and abilities, so assume three significant fights per rest. However, I find (long) resting often immersion-breaking. Your party is halfway through a fortress, and you take an 8h time-out? The enemy isn't going to notice all that sound of battle and the corpses you left strewn in the entrance hall to call in a ton of reinforcements and hunt for who did it? And the rest mechanic in BG3 is super-cumbersome. It is fair to say plenty of these problems existed in BG 1&2 as well, but we should have moved on in the last 20 years.
Resting in dungeons was meant to happen in old school D&D, with all the wantering monster tables and dungeon turns etc.

However, i rarely rested in BG 1 and 2 and i find myself rarely resting in BG3. I think i had my first long rest a third of the way to level 4.

That aside, yes, i had more fun in Pillars in some ways. The UI was more intuitive, the mechanics better explained, the pacing was superior and the writing potentially(i am not that far in BG3) as well. Of course BG3 is prettier, has better AI, has more voiceovers and a more powerful engine, especially for environmental interactions. It seems to also have more content.

I don't agree with the exotic angle though. Pillars has the the gods themself as actors in addition to saints and the greatest works of ancient powers and culminates in rewriting the whole metaphysics of the universe. Illithids and devils are nothing against this.

As for romances, well, i kinda liked some of the romances in WotR. But i didn't expect much of Larian, it was obvious from DOS 2 and the romances there (esp. Fanes) that they don't treat the topic in a particularly serious manner.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I am fascinated with all these reviews and posts and reactions to the game.

I decided I'm not gonna play it. It's just.. too much for me. Well, at least not any time soon. But all this walking around and dice rolling and stats and talking.. even though I started the thread and I'm glad it's a success for those that like it, I just realize more and more this year that I'm a simple man and I like a simple game lol.
I was watching bits of streams with JM8 and Kinda Funny Games and they were enjoying it but it just hit me that, oh yeah, cRPGs are tedious to me, no matter how good they are.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Pillars has the the gods themself as actors in addition to saints and the greatest works of ancient powers and culminates in rewriting the whole metaphysics of the universe. Illithids and devils are nothing against this.
This is quite contextual. Pillars is its own custom-built world as far as I am aware, where BG3 is based on external source material. And it's a very hyped up version of the source material: as noted above, you'd only generally expect to meet a fraction of the shit BG3 throws at you by level 4 in many high level D&D campaigns.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
This is quite contextual. Pillars is its own custom-built world as far as I am aware, where BG3 is based on external source material. And it's a very hyped up version of the source material: as noted above, you'd only generally expect to meet a fraction of the shit BG3 throws at you by level 4 in many high level D&D campaigns.
It has the illithids as main enemy in the campain. It is an iconic monster and the Githyanki with their red dragons are canonically linked.

Another mayor theme is devils, which are present with all the tieflings, the devil trying to make a deal with you and at least 2 companion stories. However i just read that the "Descent into Avernus"-campaign, a pretty popular and recent devil themed D&D campaign is used as the mayor tie in for BG3, the game concluding the TTRPG story or something like that.
By the way, Descent into Avernus, a campaign literally about an expedition into hell, if i am not mistaken, is for level 1-13. And probably has more freaky stuff than BG so far.

Also i just noticed that Pillars of Eternity is already 8 years old.