Bands/Artists that deserve more popularity

booker

Feb 25, 2011
I have a veritable obsession with this composer.
Charles Mingus was a composer, bassist and pianist.
He composed music that would mostly be categorized as jazz, but also composed "third stream" music---music that blurred the lines between Jazz and classical music. Despite this, he is often overlooked when compared to the popularity of other jazz greats such as John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, and Mingus's personal inspiration, Duke Ellington.

Start with his more straightforward stacking blues riff tunes:
If this sounds sort of familiar, maybe you like Cowboy Bebop. "Tank", the title theme sounds like a mash-up of Gunslingin' Bird (Full title: If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be A Whole Lot of Dead Copycats) combined with Boogie Stop Shuffle---at least, that's what I hear!

This track's from his more popular album Mingus Ah Um. It's a mashed up, slightly upbeat version of three of his previous songs: Slippers*, Nouroog and Duke's Choice, all three from his previous album A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry.

Indeed, his earlier work was more moody and explorative. Take his piece Pithecanthropus Erectus from the eponymous album. I'd describe it as "jazz program music" but Wikipedia calls it tone poem. It tells a story through composed sections and carefully positioned wild jazz improvisation. CHECK IT OUT!

One of his best regarded works is his ballet of sorts, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. I can't really say anything more than this music is extremely powerful and moving for me, so I'll give you a couple of fun facts instead: the liner notes were partially written by Mingus's psychiatrist at the time and, partway through the last track of the album (around five and a half minutes in), you can hear The Mingus mess up on piano and exclaim "goddamnit!". Did I mention that Charles Mingus was known for his fiery temper?

Anyways, that's a short introduction to the underdog of Jazz and the third stream. I'd make a more comprehensive introduction to the Mingus, but I sort of had things to do tonight.. :/ (Yes, this is impromptu and rushed for me.)

Albums mentioned here: Blues & Roots; Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus; Mingus Ah Um; A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry; The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.
Also check out: The Clown; Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus; Tijuana Moods; Mingus At Antibes; Oh Yeah; Mingus Plays Piano; Let My Children Hear Music; Changes One; and Changes Two.

[small]*Wikipedia tells me this, but I don't really hear Slippers in the mix. Maybe the opening solo in Open Letter, but that's still kind of stretching it. In other words, [citation needed].[/small]

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
Tally Hall, guys. I've posted them before in similar threads and I will post them again. they are just freakin' amazing! All of their songs are amazing and it really helps that they actually have a sense of humor which they lightly sprinkle into a lot of their songs!

Joshey Woshey

Jul 11, 2011
KingCrInuYasha said:
Joshey Woshey said:
The Kinks. Fuck The Beatles. The Beatles are nothing. The Kinks should have been fucking massive. Instead they had a few top ten singles and faded into obscurity, becoming a cult band.
Oh goodie, another "Beatles is overrated" thing. How original.

Have to agree about the Kinks, though. Tons of great stuff - "See My Friends", "Sittin' On My Sofa", "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?", "Sunny Afternoon", "Dead End Street", "David Watts", "Waterloo Sunset", "Autumn Almanac", "Wonderboy", "Days", "Plastic Man", "Victoria", "Celluloid Heroes" - and yet the Classic Rock and Oldies stations keep passing them up for "You Really Got Me". Not a bad song by any means, but by this point, it's like "Smoke On The Water" - I know it's good, but I wanna hear something else from these guys! 40 years and they still won't show what these guys were truly capable of!
Listen man, don't get me wrong, The Beatles are amazing (After Help:p) but they're one of those bands you 'have' to like. The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Radiohead Etc. Insulting these bands is seen as blasphemy and is punishable by death. Or 40,000 messages from screaming teenagers. When I lot of people talk about why they're the best ever I get the feeling they've actually never listened to an album.

And I know what you mean about "You Really Got Me". It's not even close to their best song but it's the one they seem to be defined by. Sounds great live though.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
This is one of the great things about the age we live in, with the internet, digital distribution, the decline of radio[footnote]Woohoo!!!! Sorry...I grew up hating the radio in the 90s. Less talk, more rock![/footnote], media outlets to suit whatever style you prefer and whatever niche you inhabit: A lot more bands can reach a moderate sort of fame than was possible even 15+ years ago.

That's why so many people nowadays listen to music you haven't heard of. It's not a hipster thing, it's just a product of the times. And I love it.

So I'm sidestepping the question. I'm happy that so many bands I love that would have never had a chance in the not so distant past can now find success in doing what they love.

antipope

Jun 7, 2010
The Real Tuesday Weld. Brilliant band but they only get noticed if some one uses there songs in commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBCrYPRFUU

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
5-0 said:
I personally think too few people have heard of Clutch. I wonder if they try to deliberately avoid mainstream success, cause they seem to be more of a club band than a stadium one. I recommend them to any fan of blues or classic rock. Here are four songs from four different albums of theirs- what I really like is that they're always changing their sound. Also, THOSE BEARDS!

Clutch is great. I haven't heard them in years so thanks for reminding me of them. Gonna go get some of their music again now.

OT: Psychostick. They're a comedy metal band (in that their songs are actually metal sounding, but the lyrics are usually jokes & such). I love nearly all of their songs and even saw them live once, but they don't get onto any big tours due to the obscurity. The last/biggest thing they did was a US tour with Mushroomhead.

Seriously, check them out. They're cool guys that interact with their fans through facebook & such. They're also a bunch of big gamer-nerds (The singer is currently addicted to Diablo 3)

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
Every single 90's British Shoegazing band ever....Seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

[snip]

Well...at least I'm unique with my taste in music, but I wish I didn't get odd stares when I explain to people that I like Shoegaze music.
All hail shoegaze!!

Although these days we call it indie and/or dreampop. The genre still exists, it's just not called shoegaze. More's the pity, Lush is awesome. If you like Shoegaze, and can get into other forms of the same, like Cocteau Twins, then I highly recommend you continue into jazz. A lot of jazz singers do that dreamy sound as a sort of alt/jazz/shoegaze/whatever mix. It's usually quite nice too.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Cyberjester said:
Jazoni89 said:
Every single 90's British Shoegazing band ever....Seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

[snip]

Well...at least I'm unique with my taste in music, but I wish I didn't get odd stares when I explain to people that I like Shoegaze music.
All hail shoegaze!!

Although these days we call it indie and/or dreampop. The genre still exists, it's just not called shoegaze. More's the pity, Lush is awesome. If you like Shoegaze, and can get into other forms of the same, like Cocteau Twins, then I highly recommend you continue into jazz. A lot of jazz singers do that dreamy sound as a sort of alt/jazz/shoegaze/whatever mix. It's usually quite nice too.
Nope, it's still called Shoegaze (the term is just not used that much now), A Place to Bury Strangers, and The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart are examples of recent Shoegaze. Also, It's not considered Indie by anyone with a big knowledge of music, as it's an Alternative Rock genre after all. So, if anything, it's mostly lumped in to the Alternative Rock umbrella.

Though more newer Shoegaze is mixed with electronic coined Nu-Gaze, and then you have the Black Metal styled Blackgaze.

Yes, I am indeed a fan of Dream Pop, I'm really getting in to Beach House at the moment, good stuff.

Never been into Jazz, I like Acid Jazz though, that's pretty cool.

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
first off, Snot a relitivly unknown metal-punk band. In my view they would have been huge if Lynn strait hadnt of died after the first album.wont be everyones cup of tea, but i love 'em

R.I.P Jame lynn strait

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
ALEX CLARE. You might know his song "Too Close" because of the IE9 commercial (and I here its bigger in Europe), but that man's album deserves freakin' Grammies.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/boOG4pUR83Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y4wiPneqVyU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zYXjLbMZFmo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Manowar is crazy popular in Europe but they're virtually unknown in the US. That is bullshit and needs to change.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Systemshock are quite alright. No one knows who they are though.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
CrashBang said:
InMe should have been huge, especially in the UK, years ago.
THANK YOU, These guys are amazing, I've met all of InMe a number of times and Ive talked to Dave McPherson quite a bit. Their albums after they lost poularity are much better then the stuff before though. Saw 'em twice on their last tour as well as when Dave McPherson did an acoustic gig with Devin Townsend.

Les Discrets and Alcest both need to be bigger by far as they have created some of the most beautiful Shoegaze/Black metal of the last 10 years.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
booker said:
I have a veritable obsession with this composer.
Charles Mingus was a composer, bassist and pianist.
He composed music that would mostly be categorized as jazz, but also composed "third stream" music---music that blurred the lines between Jazz and classical music. Despite this, he is often overlooked when compared to the popularity of other jazz greats such as John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, and Mingus's personal inspiration, Duke Ellington.

Start with his more straightforward stacking blues riff tunes:
If this sounds sort of familiar, maybe you like Cowboy Bebop. "Tank", the title theme sounds like a mash-up of Gunslingin' Bird (Full title: If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be A Whole Lot of Dead Copycats) combined with Boogie Stop Shuffle---at least, that's what I hear!

This track's from his more popular album Mingus Ah Um. It's a mashed up, slightly upbeat version of three of his previous songs: Slippers*, Nouroog and Duke's Choice, all three from his previous album A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry.

Indeed, his earlier work was more moody and explorative. Take his piece Pithecanthropus Erectus from the eponymous album. I'd describe it as "jazz program music" but Wikipedia calls it tone poem. It tells a story through composed sections and carefully positioned wild jazz improvisation. CHECK IT OUT!

One of his best regarded works is his ballet of sorts, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. I can't really say anything more than this music is extremely powerful and moving for me, so I'll give you a couple of fun facts instead: the liner notes were partially written by Mingus's psychiatrist at the time and, partway through the last track of the album (around five and a half minutes in), you can hear The Mingus mess up on piano and exclaim "goddamnit!". Did I mention that Charles Mingus was known for his fiery temper?

Anyways, that's a short introduction to the underdog of Jazz and the third stream. I'd make a more comprehensive introduction to the Mingus, but I sort of had things to do tonight.. :/ (Yes, this is impromptu and rushed for me.)

Albums mentioned here: Blues & Roots; Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus; Mingus Ah Um; A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry; The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.
Also check out: The Clown; Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus; Tijuana Moods; Mingus At Antibes; Oh Yeah; Mingus Plays Piano; Let My Children Hear Music; Changes One; and Changes Two.

[small]*Wikipedia tells me this, but I don't really hear Slippers in the mix. Maybe the opening solo in Open Letter, but that's still kind of stretching it. In other words, [citation needed].[/small]
I don't think Charles Mingus needs to be any bigger really. For me he is right up there with Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Django Reinhardt as one of the greatest Jazz musicians, heck both Blues and Roots and Black Saint and... are two of my favourite Jazz albums.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
KingCrInuYasha said:
Joshey Woshey said:
The Kinks. Fuck The Beatles. The Beatles are nothing. The Kinks should have been fucking massive. Instead they had a few top ten singles and faded into obscurity, becoming a cult band.
Oh goodie, another "Beatles is overrated" thing. How original.

Have to agree about the Kinks, though. Tons of great stuff - "See My Friends", "Sittin' On My Sofa", "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?", "Sunny Afternoon", "Dead End Street", "David Watts", "Waterloo Sunset", "Autumn Almanac", "Wonderboy", "Days", "Plastic Man", "Victoria", "Celluloid Heroes" - and yet the Classic Rock and Oldies stations keep passing them up for "You Really Got Me". Not a bad song by any means, but by this point, it's like "Smoke On The Water" - I know it's good, but I wanna hear something else from these guys! 40 years and they still won't show what these guys were truly capable of!

Back on topic, Soft Machine. Arguably the best keyboard power trio, ever!

Damn it I have to post another comment...

Anyway YES I FUCKIN' LOVE SOFT MACHINE (at least until Wyatt left) Third is possibly my favourite prog album ever and the others up until 6 are not too shabby either. Also if there was never Soft Machine then Roger Waters Pink Floyd may never have been such a success.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Well, i don't know how to post videos... or links...

But the Rappers under Funk Volume (Hopsin, Dizzy Wright, SwizZz)

and other individual rappers like The Jokerr and G-Eazy

booker

Feb 25, 2011
According to the people I associate with that call themselves "jazz scholars", The Mingus is sadly shunned. The fact that you even mentioned Django would go way over peoples' heads.

And you like The Soft Machine? Dang. I think you might just indubitably be a bad-ass.