Bang for your buck

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Time to show how dedicated (or addicted, I won't judge) you are to your favourite games.

How many hours do you have in your favourite game(s)?
And how many hours do you play (genre notwithstanding) before you think you've gotten your money's worth of enjoyment out of it (provided you're having fun with it, 'cos obviously if you're not having fun, no amount of time would make it worth it)?

Favourite franchise in terms of hours is probably Total War, clocked about 750hrs so far in Warhammer II, and similar amounts (or more, if including expansion/campaign packs) in Rome I, Medieval II, Napoleon & Rome II (still got a few hundred in Medieval I, Empire & Shogun II). Assassin's Creed is another time sink and I've likely got an average of a few dozen hours each of the Ezio Trilogy & Black Flag with several dozen in Odyssey. Haven't played much of the other main series games (or in Rogue & Origin's cases, not at all). Hope to fix that in the not too distant future. -.- Other than that, WH40K: Dawn of War & Mass Effect are the series I've put a significant amount of time into each installment and thoroughly enjoyed.

Given that the default question for the second question is likely to be 'doesn't matter how long I play the game, so long as I'm having fun playing it, it's worth the buying price', I'd have to admit that for the Total War series (main titles, not Saga titles), I'd need to play roughly a hundred hours or so before getting bored for it to be worth it. Case in point is Empire, which was one of the worst entries in the series and almost not worth it for me (two campaigns, Prussia/Sweden, could not get the enthusiasm to do even that, regrettably, but I now replay it a bit just to laugh at how janky it is).

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
For favorite game hours, I'd say 150 at most (the games being TF2/Black Ops III Zombies)

Since I usually get games on sale, I'd definitely say I got value for my money. I like to go for 100%/Platinums so that definitely adds more game-time (not always GOOD game-time)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Thanks to mods, I've clocked in over 1200 hours on Skyrim.

As far as "value for money", I tend to rate play time versus the cost, at a goal of at least one hour for every ten dollars I pay for it.

Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If you are talking non-mmo games I've played through the original FF7 about 50 times, being conservative. Each playthrough takes 44+hours depending on how grindy I feel like being. So 2200 hours into FF7 alone.

But if you wanna look at my WoW account, I've easily got over 15,000 hours into the game no problem.

The Witcher 3 I've put 275 hours into it.

It's rare for me to break 1000 hours into any single game over the probably thousands of games I've played over the last 30 years. So I consider any game I sink over 100 hours into as something very special.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Some people have more time than others, but the last game I’ve put big time into is

Other than that there’s MKX with about 275 hours on Steam, MK11 with probably close to that on PS4, and the SoulsBorne series including Demon’s Souls is probably close to a grand altogether, and I’m still playing DS3. Once I get past the TwinPrinces and everything after it might put me over four figures.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DMC1 500 hours
DMC3 over 900 hours
DMC4 400 hours
DMC5 600 hours
DmC definitive edition 350 hours

Streets of Rage 1 through 3 - my entire life and ongoing.

Bayonetta 1 - 700 hours
Bayonetta 2 - 1000 hours

Hyrule Warriors - 200 hours

Metal gear rising - 500 hours

Mad World - 200 hours

Vanquish 100 hours

Ninja Warriors Once Again - 40 hours and counting.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
How many hours do you have in your favourite game(s)?
No clue for most of them, a lot of time I leave the game on while doing something else so even hours clocked by Steam or the game isn't that accurate for me. I know back in the day that I had, I think, well over 2,000 hours into Metal Gear Online 2. I also played a ton of Ghost Recon Future Soldier. I played the MLB The Show series for a 5 years in a row and hundreds of hours into each of those. Online games are definitely the highest on the list.

And how many hours do you play (genre notwithstanding) before you think you've gotten your money's worth of enjoyment out of it (provided you're having fun with it, 'cos obviously if you're not having fun, no amount of time would make it worth it)?
I don't really care about hours played, I care about the quality of content. Time is far more important a resource than money (and I'm by no means rich). I hate games that waste my time with artificial padding or having to spend a large chunk of time in a crappy ass combat system (Witcher 3). I'll take 100 Vanquishes over one Witcher 3. Obviously, there's still some limits like I'm not paying $60 for an hour of entertainment, but 5 hours or so I would and have. Plus, shorter games for me are the ones I'll actually replay because after playing a long ass RPG, I usually feel like I put everything into it already. I also take my time with games, I think my Dishonored 2 save file had 40+ hours for my 1st playthrough because I loved the game and explored every nook and cranny.

As far as "value for money", I tend to rate play time versus the cost, at a goal of at least one hour for every ten dollars I pay for it.
I so thought you were gonna be one of those people that demanded 1 hour for every dollar as I was reading the sentence. I don't get those people at all, it's hard to make a 10 hour game where all the content is great let alone 50+ hours.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
There's been more than a few times I've fallen asleep with a game running, so clocked time is definitely not a trusted metric in my case. Perhaps a story that stuck longer in the consciousness than the rest may have to do. SOMA might have caused a few parts of the grey matter to dedicate themselves further than usual. The setting had a hint of aesthetic that triggered an art inspiration which am still not done with. Inside, is another one.

Last edited:

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I judge things on how much I get out of a game *per hour*

Because I basically have to spend 8 hours in the office per every one hour I have to game.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Currently Warframe is the ongoing time-consumer of choice.

Though if we're going by all time, I was actively playing Neverwinter nights (which was game plus two expansions cost_ from 2002 (IIRC) through to 2011 or 2012.

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
I have over 900 hours in Monster Hunter and 1300 hours on Counter Strike, umm oh and I probably have the same amount on league of legends.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
About 150 hours Fallout 3 on PS3. About 100 in Skyrim once I started modding it. Before then I thought it dull. 80 hours for Final Fantasy X. Dunno how many in Burnout Paradise but you can just kick back and mess around in that racer. Very fun.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Considering i've been playing warframe for about 7 years odd now...

7000 hours

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Considering i've been playing warframe for about 7 years odd now...

7000 hours
You play nearly 3 hours a day, every day? For seven years?! Holy cow, that's dedication!

OT: I can't really say, as a lot of games don't keep track of time. I seriously doubt I've ever put more than, say 200 hours, into a single game. Nethack might be close to that.

I really don't value a game for how long it takes. Generally I mark games up for being short and concise.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
You play nearly 3 hours a day, every day? For seven years?! Holy cow, that's dedication!

OT: I can't really say, as a lot of games don't keep track of time. I seriously doubt I've ever put more than, say 200 hours, into a single game. Nethack might be close to that.

I really don't value a game for how long it takes. Generally I mark games up for being short and concise.
Well, that's from steam, so it probably includes all the time I spent waiting on updates and installation defrags, or i logged in and got called afk when I was caring for my mother and forgot to log out.

Though its fair to say I've stockpiled everything you can stockpile, and I maxed all the Focus schools, so yeah, i've grinded a lot.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
3714 hours in TF2 over some 10 years, tho I could add in the original Team Fortress and TFC. Not sure how many I have in those, since that was before Steam and neither tracked playtime. Probably add up to about 5000 in total.

Some 500 hours in Monster Hunter World. 130 in Terraria. Some 100 hours each in Xenoblades 1 and 2, and also in Mass Effect 3 MP. Probably a fair number of hours in Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Earth Special Forces, Firearms, Diablo 2, Aliens vs Predator. Nowhere near as many as TF tho.

Other than those, can't think of any that reach the 100 hour threshold.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I broke a new record recently with Stellaris. Hitting over 400 hours this past week. This amazing return on Stellaris is why I have no problems dropping full-price on DLC for it. Next is Mount and Blade: Warband with around 300. If we're looking at combined play time of all the games I've played, on all the systems I've played them on, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age are probably all around the 200-300 mark. Honorable mention to One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3, which is probably around a hundred.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Granted it's the guy's job, but LegendOfTotalWar has clocked more than 6k hrs into Total War: Warhammer II since it's release... in September 2017. His community joke that it's not that bad since he played a bit in early access/beta, the joke being that that was for all of... 100hrs or so. It's even 'worse' given that he didn't even like the game when it was released and it took until the first major DLC release in January 2018 for him to start liking it. Even accounting for the fact that he plays it to provide content and he sometimes leaves it idling, that's still a lot of play time.

I'm sure most other non-variety content creators have similar figures across the spectrum, but it's still kinda insane.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Its pretty bonkers seeing how long people have spent playing particular games.

I thought I had played Battlefield 4 to death, at around 400 hours - then I see people putting in 1000's hours into their favourite games, I feel like I should probably just sit back down.