Banjonauts 64 (3D Platformers)

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012

[HEADING=1]INJUSTICE LEAGUE[br]ASKS [br][small]-Banjonauts 64 (3D Platformers)-[/small][/HEADING]​

I'm bringing these back, because fuck you I'm a rebel and do what I want! *explosions in the background*

The Injustice League, Victors of the Brovenger-Injustice war [footnote]They got bored and gave up, shutup, it still counts as a win[/footnote], Purveyors of Doom, Emissaries of Destruction and Kings of Shenanigans and Lollygagging, seek your opinions on a delicate matter.

Why?

Because...

Ok, anyway... In my youth, the Platformer was the king of gaming. In it's traditional 2D format sure, but also and especially in its 3D form as well. We had our Banjo Kazooples, Our Mario 64's, our Psychonauts, and others. These games were amazing!

Then the Zeitgeist of the... umm... Early middle 2000's? made the shooter king. I'm not here to ask why that happened so much, though you should answer if you have insight, but what were your favorite 3D platformers, and what kinds of sequels or spiritual successors would you like to see make a comeback in game design?

I want to see what a Banjo Kazooie 3 (4) could really look like now-a-days.

[HEADING=3]TL;DR What were your favorite 3D Platformers and what sequels, spiritual successors, or game design "philosophies" would you like to see make a comeback?[/HEADING]
[small]-T0ad 0f Truth-[/small]
[small]-Chief Inquisitor of The Injustice League-[/small]

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I was told there would be candy if I posted?

Hmm, favorite 3d platformer... does donkey kong 64 count? Certainly not the 'best' one, but I had a blast on that as a kid so I gotta give it nostalgia points. As for what I want more of, how about another Sonic game? ... ... ... :D

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Zeitgeist is a nice word to begin with. Sounds German, I like that.

I miss games with big and impressive overworlds that had things to do in them. No, Ubisoft, I don't mean - look, shut the fuck up for a minute, Guillemot. Sit your ***** ass down! Not just a liberal and cynical sprinkling of darts and go-kart racing, I mean really wacky and inspired stuff like Rare used to do. Not everything has to make contextual sense, but even the things that do could stand to be a lot more interesting. Far Cry 3 was supposed to be set among crazy people and all the could do was race boats and play poker. SHIT.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
More recent than a lot of people's favourites but I really enjoyed the Super Mario Galaxy series, the gravity physics were awesome and the graphics perfect and colourful. A complete gamble when I picked it up which really paid off.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Jux said:
how about another Sonic game? ... ... ... :D
I unironically want more of Sonic Generations and I am sad that the chances are likely Sega will never give it me.

OT: It's debatable how much it qualifies as a "platformer" but I'd like to see Retro bring back Metroid Prime on the Wii U.

Bingo-Katanas would be awesome as well. I will fite ne1 irl who thinks that K'Nex car-building game was a satisfying and graceful way for them to let that franchise die off.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Jux said:
I was told there would be candy if I posted?

Hmm, favorite 3d platformer... does donkey kong 64 count? Certainly not the 'best' one, but I had a blast on that as a kid so I gotta give it nostalgia points. As for what I want more of, how about another Sonic game? ... ... ... :D
I never actually played Donkey Kong 64, and for the longest time I though Donkey Kong Country WAS Donkey 64. Loved that game... That's it. I have nothing important to say about either of their game designs though. Just thought I'd mention some useless trivia about my childhood understanding of the world :D

shrekfan246 said:
Jux said:
how about another Sonic game? ... ... ... :D
I unironically want more of Sonic Generations and I am sad that the chances are likely Sega will never give it me.

OT: It's debatable how much it qualifies as a "platformer" but I'd like to see Retro bring back Metroid Prime on the Wii U.
The Prime series was almost a genre unto it's own. It seamlessly combined first person shooter, platforming, and "metroidvania" style exploration and progress.

It had it's own problems, but the game was pretty masterfully designed even if it's not your cup of tea. If they released a new Metroid in the Prime vein for the Wii-U or even just rereleased the Prime trilogy that would be amazing. Can you imagine how well the Wii-U pad would work with it?

As for sonic, it seems determined to be the franchise with amazing potential that it would rather squander on hookers and blow.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Zeconte said:
To be honest, I never really much liked 3D platformers, 2D FTW, hated dealing with those 3D camera angles for the most part. I spent most of my time on the N64 playing Star Wars, Madden 2000, Star Fox and Ogre Battle.

Also:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
I made a thread. Each of you gets a piece of candy if you post in it.
BRIBERY AND COLLUUUUUUUUUUSION!!!!!
*smacks*

What in the hell makes you think a group named the Injustice League would be honorable.

And yes, 2D platformers are amazing. Shovel Knight is probably one of the more recent ones I've fallen in love with. The point though is that we're lacking diversity in Dimensions. The gaming industry has seen fit to discriminate against us 3D lovers!

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
T0ad 0f Truth said:
*smacks*

What in the hell makes you think a group named the Injustice League would be honorable.
But that was posted in... Brovengers! MORE COLLUSION!

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Jux said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
*smacks*

But that was posted in... Brovengers! MORE COLLUSION!
Exactly! ...I think... it makes me seem more evil right?

I accidently joined that place years ago[footnote]Has it been years yet? What time is it? Where am I?[/footnote]

I've been spying and colluding ever since!

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I would call for another Brovenger-Injustice war over this, but I'm supposed to be having tapas tonight with the g/f and her sister, so maybe I'll see about declaring one tomorrow.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
As a kid... I was all over the 3D platformer... (the cutesier the better) so I bring you:

[footnote]In order: Croc, Gex, Spyro, Glover and Kingsley.[/footnote]

All traditional 3D platformers... all kid friendly... all bloody hard in places (as a kid) and finally... all on the Playstation!

Welcome to my Childhood!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oooh Banjonauts 64! I commend that titular title, you titan of tiling tickly titles.
To answer your question; ALL of them! Apart from the ones we/i do not talk about. Donkey kong 64 was Rareware too, right? That had a surprisingly good multiplayer also. They would probably have an issue trying to re-release that now though.

...so this candy you promised?...

kirwan464

Aug 9, 2013
Spyro and crashs ps1 trilogys, banjo kazooie.
Id just love to see a new game in the original crash or spyro style, but more specifically spyro.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I grew up with platformers, and they're most of what I play these days. The 3D platformer will always be where my heart is (and super excited for A Hat In Time). It's perhaps not the most challenging genre, but I love the exploration, collecting (as long as it doesn't get super nuts, like Donkey Kong 64), and the buckets of charm they often bring. I need MOAR, but it's such a non-profitable genre to the games industry. Hell, most games don't even let you JUMP these days.

Love me some Ratchet, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Psychonauts, gdi so many goodies. I didn't get into too many on the Nintendo consoles besides Banjo Kazooie very briefly and Conker's Bad Fur Day (only 3D Mario game I enjoyed was Super Mario Galaxy, but I insist 3D platformers need a restraining order to protect them from motion controls), but man, Sony had the best ones. Never played Gex or Croc (not sure why not, as I DO have Croc 1 for PC), but I'll get to them down the line.

And Banjonauts 64 gets ALL my money.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
Well, would you count Crash Bandicoot and the first Sly raccoon as 3d platformers? I feel those specifically are kind of a niche thing being the exact middle point between 2d and 3d platformers. I'd call them 2.5d but that might get confusing with actual 2.5d games. So let's call them tunnelplatformers for now.

But those are basically my favourites, partly because of their own quality and partly for their successors (both spiritual and actual). Among their successors I'd count Jack & Daxter, Ratchet and clank, sly raccoon, which have all become series that are pretty good.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
Bubsy 3D, such a masterpiece of game design.

Good call.

OT: That's reminded me I wanna add Super Mario 64 to the list - the perspective in the game ensured that many of its areas remained hair-tearingly out of reach. Not great game design, but it sure did extend the length of the ************ bastard.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
So a bunch of former Naughty Dog employees (among other team members) collaborated on a platformer pretty recently. Pretty exiting huh?

It was Sonic Boom.

Sorry.

OT: I would love to see a Crash Bandicoot 4 (in the style of the originals) but I don't want to see it attempted just because of the risk of failure, which would result in a stab right to the nostalgia!

Sonic Adventure 3 or Generations 2 would also be nice if done right, but sadly I have little faith.

Right now I will only trust the Mario series to remain consistent in quality. Keep it up Nintendo!