Bankruptcy Auction Ends THQ

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Yokillernick said:
Ok,ok hold on a sec...

*breathing heavily*

WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE NEXT SAINTS ROW?!

AND ALSO COMPANY OF HEROES?!

I swear, if I hear it's cancelled or 'postponed indefinitely' I will find them and fight them on the side of the street!

Damn stupid THQ couldn't hold on a bit longer. These two game alone would have got them out of debt.
Saints Row was made by Voalition who were purchased by Kosh Media, apparently the owners of Deep Silver.

Company of Heroes is with Relic, whom Saga purchased.

Saga looks possibly good, deep silver though I don't know.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Volition purchased by Koch Media
The guys who did the X series of space shooters.
Here's hoping they ditch Saints Row and actually get around to making Freespace 3!

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
ImSkeletor said:
I just wonder who is going to Publish the WWE games?
This was actually what I was wondering. THQ San Diego went under before the sale, but I was hoping for an ALL*STARS 2.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yes, Homefront, not Homeland. Total brain-freeze there.

Volition/Saints Row is a natural fit for Koch Media. Not so sure about Metro, except that I think there's a better chance that Koch will just get out of the way and let 4A do its thing than, say, Activision or EA. Under the circumstances, it's about as good an outcome as you could hope for.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Relic going to Sega gives me hope. I was afraid Ubisoft, EA, or Activision would pick them up and run it into the ground. Sega generally makes good games and doesn't usually screw over customers.

SupahGamuh said:
Relic with Sega?

I can only hope the WH40K license got tranferred with them too, I'm still waiting for Dawn of War 3.
It did, they got Warhammer 40k and Company of Heroes. They also picked up Warhammer fantasy recently, from a different source. Could mean we will finally get a proper Warhammer fantasy game and Dawn of War 3.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Maybe we can start a kickstarter to buy the license to Darksiders and give it back to Joe or perhaps a company who would be willing to take it? I mean if they could sell Homefrontfor 500K, who knows... I know it's a stupid idea, but I loved Darksiders, I've already been having a rough week, this just tops it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Soviet Heavy said:
So now Sega owns both the Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy Battle rights...

Make it your first order of business to hire back a bunch of Relic's old staff that were let go after Retribution.
It will all be worth it if they make a Valkyria Chronicles style 40K game.

Does Koch Media have anything to do with the Koch Bros? That would suck for Saints Row.
Nah Koch Media is basically Deep Silver.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Sega + Relic:
Not as bad as it could have been. I like Sega, though they tend to screw things up - but it's better to take a chance and really plummet than aim for absolute, secure mediocrity. And they also make the Total War games, so they know how to handle RTS developers.

Nouw said:
~attention snip~
I lol'd at your avatar.

Ubisoft + SP:SoT:
I know that I should be reacting to how this is bad for PC gamers like myself, but TBH Ubisoft haven't been that bad recently. Sure, they still bundle their Steam-a-like with things like Far Cry 3, but on the other hand they also put up some games on GoG (who have a strict no-DRM policy) and Rayman Origins didn't come with it, so...we just have to wait and see what kind of mood they're in.

Crytek + Home(front):
Probably not going to change much. Except that somebody will try and make a Homefront sequel, and...yeah.

Everything else:
Not stuff I've heard of or am particularly invested in.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
TheSYLOH said:
Volition purchased by Koch Media
The guys who did the X series of space shooters.
Here's hoping they ditch Saints Row and actually get around to making Freespace 3!
They made the x series...... hmm, how about both Saints Row and Freespace XD

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Ouch ... that sucks for Vigil Games my best friends loves Darksiders ... going to make him sad

Here's hoping all those who lost their jobs will land on their feet.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Overall, I only see the real bad case with Homefront being bought by CryTek. Not from a developer-point (there could've been worse) but rather the publisher.
Ubisoft owning South Park? Don't care, never liked South Park anyway.
Sega buying Relic? Again, don't care - never was into Warhammer.
Similar stance to the rest - most of the time, I never really cared about the respective franchises, anyway. Only one I did care was "Saints Row/Red Faction" and a bit "Homefront". And the former got quite a good new publisher (would've prefered Take-Two here again)

Rednog said:
Wait what does this mean for Saints Row....? Hmmm Volition was bought by Koch Media...they run Deep Silver....who published...oh fuck you world.
Quite a lot of good games, actually.
TrackMania was published by them, the two Tunguska point-and-click-games,...

Probably one of the better ones, who could aquire it.
Yokillernick said:
WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE NEXT SAINTS ROW?!

AND ALSO COMPANY OF HEROES?!
Saints Row 4 is probably going to be released, as it was scheduled for release early this year, anyway. Cancelling it NOW (unless there was no developement since... well, they fused 'Enter the Dominatrix' and Saints Row 4, I guess) would be kind of stupid as that game WILL make them a ton of money. Saints Row 3 alone was already enough to delay THQs bankruptcy until now, which says quite a lot about that franchise potential.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
J Tyran said:
SkarKrow said:
J Tyran said:
Is Sega owning Relic a good thing or a bad thing? I only know a few games published be Sega but they seemed OK, Relic happens to be one of my favorite devs. Hopefully Sega will be able to invest in Relic and we will continue to see great games coming from them
Sega are hit and miss. They take risks, it has bit them in the ass in the past and they're put out some real shit, but it's one of the better places it could go if you ask me, better to be lapped up by Sega and actually used for something than absorbed into EA.
I know Sega publish RTS games, so I can see why they would grab Relic. Definitely far better than going to EA for sure. Games Workshop should have bought them I think, sure they have never published video games before but nearly every game Relic has made has been PC only. Publishing via Steam wouldn't need a supply chain and then Relic could have kept pumping out games for them, hell GW might have even made a Company of Heroes TT game.
Maybe so, either way, Sega is a good home for them probably. I'm not too invested in the warhammer stuff but I do enjoy company of heroes a fair bit since I picked it up in the steam autumn sale

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
It is a sad day to see THQ go down and under. Good intentions and some good games under their banner, an undeserved fate to be sure.

Hrmm... Sega of all companies got Relic? Oh dear... if this had happened a year ago I would not really have shrugged much. But with the recent way they have treated fans and consumers and IP, I am really, honestly, worried.

At the same time, they are the ones most familiar with RTS games on that list so... guess it's a sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
FUCKING NOOOOOOOOO! Saints Row is now owned by the Koch brothers. Expect hard right slant. Why they bought Metro I couldn't guess.

I'd rather Activision get Stick of Truth then Ubisoft. The rest is fine.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
dragongit said:
Maybe we can start a kickstarter to buy the license to Darksiders and give it back to Joe or perhaps a company who would be willing to take it? I mean if they could sell Homefrontfor 500K, who knows... I know it's a stupid idea, but I loved Darksiders, I've already been having a rough week, this just tops it.
Well Joe left ages ago, even before the whole Bankruptcy deal and I saw lots of work from concept artists that were shitcanned from Vigil cropping up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're starting up a new game you'd need concept artists if you wanted it to look any good.

It's sad to see the other horsemen (and woman?) not get their own game, but whats really sad is that my copy of Darksiders 2 has bugged out into oblivion with the latest DLC and its NEVER going to get patched. Sweet Jesus.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Soviet Heavy said:
So now Sega owns both the Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy Battle rights...

Make it your first order of business to hire back a bunch of Relic's old staff that were let go after Retribution.
It will all be worth it if they make a Valkyria Chronicles style 40K game.

Does Koch Media have anything to do with the Koch Bros? That would suck for Saints Row.
Nope, Koch is the German for cook and is a quite common surname.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
So does this mean Darksiders is done for? Wow that really, really sucks if that is the case.

THQ going under is sad in and of itself, but seeing good IPs like that die out because of it is a travesty.