Batgirl Movie Cancelled by WB

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But even then, remember the press tour for Batman vs Superman and how depressed everyone was? Or Joss Whedon just copying and pasting jokes from Avengers Age of Ultron into Justice League?
Yes, but that doesn't take over everything or the good that came afterward. Joss Whedon is a scumbag (with most of the public acknowledging and recognizing that) and the Snyder cut exist. People are happy about it. I don't care about the Snyder cut, but I'm happy fans got what they wanted and whatever closure they were asking for.

Or anything that has to do with the Suicide Squad movies being a miserable assortment of scenes and lines not leading anywhere.
If you're talking about the first Suicide Squad, you have a point, but most of the cast still enjoyed what they did. Suicide Squad 2 everyone was on board what they were doing. Everyone. Same thing about Peacemaker, both Wonder Woman movies, Aquaman, and Shazam. Margot Robbie was definitely on board for all the things she did in each movie. Nearly everyone wanted to make Birds Of Prey. So it all evens out.

said DC would absolutely bring Flag back and declare Suicide Squad 2 non-canon if they thought it would make money.
Well it hasn't happened yet, as far as we all know. And if it did, I wouldn't care. I still consider Suicide Squad 2, and by extension Peacemaker, canon. WB doesn't know what they want in that regard and many other spots, but they got people who do care on the non-executive side.

Say what you will about actors leaving the MCU, I think Marvel would have to bend over pretty far and cut a pretty damn big check to get RDJ to come in and declare do-overs for Tony's death.
So, it doesn't change the feelings of me or those that like what's in the dceu and want it to continue. All yours statements just asinine speculation, in a bunch of what ifs and maybes. Even if it's true, I wouldn't care. RDJ and several others went out on a high note, and at least Disney's willing to commit to that. Them double backing would be no different from what nearly everybody else is doing in Hollywood. Not that they haven't before, but it would just be a big spit an insole. The only way Tony will come back with, is if they got one from a different dimension. Multiverse and all the stuff, yada, yada, yada. Once again asinine speculation of bullcrap not worth mulling over. I swear dude, you have your points, but you can go any other direction of being overly cynical and adding stuff that have nothing to do with anything.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
See that's why its been scrapped. It wasn't going to make Superhero money.
I mean what continuity is this Batgirl? Same one from the CW? Or with the new Twilight Batman? Or Batfleck? Or the Keaton Batman to be reintroduced in Flash? Or Bale's Batman? Or a Batgirl in the Phoenix Joker continuity, that apparently getting a Lady Gaga Harley musical sequel, who will be a different Harley to the Suicide Squad Harley, who is apparently a different Harley to the Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey Harley(same actress, different timeline).
The DCEU is a mess and its just undignified its trying to pretend its not going to be over by Christmas.
The thing is, it didn't need to make superhero money. You know what the budget was for Batgirl? $90 million. By comic book movie standards, that's barely anything. A half-assed marketing campaign can drive basically any movie to make at least half that on opening weekend alone, so saying that it would bomb SO BADLY that the only option was a tax write-down in order to recuperate costs, after the film is basically done, comes off as rather disingenuous.

ETA: By comparison, the current budget for The Flash is $200 million, and that movie's not even done yet.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Like what?
Literally anything else. Preferably something original, new, uninspired or not rehashed. But I guess such whims are a bit too much to expect, i.e.: given the saturation of Batmen, of course a Batgirl is what we've been missing. Meanwhile, properties like Anne Rice's The Witching Hour have sat without a proper cinematic addressing for decades. Interview With The Vampire is getting an episodic reimagining apparently (despite the worthy film that came out almost 3 decades ago.)

See that's why its been scrapped. It wasn't going to make Superhero money.
I mean what continuity is this Batgirl? Same one from the CW? Or with the new Twilight Batman? Or Batfleck? Or the Keaton Batman to be reintroduced in Flash? Or Bale's Batman? Or a Batgirl in the Phoenix Joker continuity, that apparently getting a Lady Gaga Harley musical sequel, who will be a different Harley to the Suicide Squad Harley, who is apparently a different Harley to the Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey Harley(same actress, different timeline).
The DCEU is a mess and its just undignified its trying to pretend its not going to be over by Christmas.
Well shame on them for starting (and damn near finishing) something they didn't want to complete because money.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The thing is, it didn't need to make superhero money. You know what the budget was for Batgirl? $90 million. By comic book movie standards, that's barely anything. A half-assed marketing campaign can drive basically any movie to make at least half that on opening weekend alone, so saying that it would bomb SO BADLY that the only option was a tax write-down in order to recuperate costs, after the film is basically done, comes off as rather disingenuous.

ETA: By comparison, the current budget for The Flash is $200 million, and that movie's not even done yet.
See I don't inherently disagree. There probably is a another, darker reason. I would have seen the movie, and knowing its of DC quality, probably not liked it.
But there is also the chance the accountants really did crunch the numbers, based off the idea the PR tour and ads double a movie's budget and calculated the movie wouldn't make $180 million.

If you're talking about the first suicide squad, you have a point, but most of the cash still enjoyed what they did. Suicide Squad 2 everyone was on board what they were doing. Everyone. Same thing about Peacemaker, both Wonder Woman movies, Aquaman, in Shazam. Margot Robbie was definitely on board for all the things she did in each movie. Nearly everyone wanted to make Birds Of Prey. So it all evens out.
Funny enough, I thought the second Suicide Squad was even worse and more slapdash than the first. Say what you will about the first one, and I will, but at least they kept the time of day and weather consistent throughout scenes. Suicide Squad 2 had random cuts in scenes change the time of day and weather from raining to clear. Like the big charge towards the end when they're attack the military compound in the rain? Harley fighting in rain, cut to Flag in bright daylight, to King Shark in the rain, to Peacemaker at night, to Rat Catcher in the rain, etc...
Or the scene where everyone got drunk and then they declared do-over and undid that scene. Or the Polka dot guy needing to purge his polka dots every day...until they just never brought it up again, despite the movie taking place over multiple days.

Now the first one had some pretty horrible editing and probably worse story telling. But the second one was pretty horrible too.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Okay then chief; hit me with it.
I did; read my post. But if you're wanting a comprehensive list of everything other than Batgirl, keep scrolling; I've not the time nor interest to entertain why canceling Batgirl is not a travesty meriting any specific ire.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I did; read my post. But if you're wanting a comprehensive list of everything other than Batgirl, keep scrolling; I've not the time nor interest to entertain why canceling Batgirl is not a travesty meriting any specific ire.
I did, all I saw was someone asking for originality in the same breath as lamenting no adaptations of Anne Rice, who's works have been knocked off so many times that frankly adapting them now as opposed to twenty odd years ago isn't likely to make much of a splash outside name recognition.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Funny enough, I thought the second Suicide Squad was even worse and more slapdash than the first. Say what you will about the first one, and I will, but at least they kept the time of day and weather consistent throughout scenes. Suicide Squad 2 had random cuts in scenes change the time of day and weather from raining to clear. Like the big charge towards the end when they're attack the military compound in the rain? Harley fighting in rain, cut to Flag in bright daylight, to King Shark in the rain, to Peacemaker at night, to Rat Catcher in the rain, etc...
Or the scene where everyone got drunk and then they declared do-over and undid that scene. Or the Polka dot guy needing to purge his polka dots every day...until they just never brought it up again, despite the movie taking place over multiple days.

Now the first one had some pretty horrible editing and probably worse story telling. But the second one was pretty horrible too.
I remember; still don't care.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Literally anything else. Preferably something original, new, uninspired or not rehashed. But I guess such whims are a bit too much to expect, i.e.: given the saturation of Batmen, of course a Batgirl is what we've been missing.
Eh, IMHO, Batman is the least interesting part of the Bat family, so if we have to have more Bat films, if they made Batgirl and Nightwing and Oracle films instead of another effing Batman film (or even as well as) wouldn't be bad. I wanted to see a proper Batgirl film.

OTOH, if I had the option of some overlooked public domain works being made into films instead...Tarzan riding a triceratops to rescue the princess of the monkey people in a lost valley, or explorers in a digging machine burrow into the hollow earth and rescue slaves from psychic pteradactyls, or a guy gets a brain swap with an artificial monster so he can go undercover, but there's only so long until the failed experiment next door gets too big and eats his original body...and those are just Edgar Rice Burroughs, though the latter might still be under copyright.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I did, all I saw was someone asking for originality in the same breath as lamenting no adaptations of Anne Rice, who's works have been knocked off so many times that frankly adapting them now as opposed to twenty odd years ago isn't likely to make much of a splash outside name recognition.
All you "saw" was me asking for something "original, new, uninspired or not rehashed." Both of those commas could easily be "or," but that'd be sloppy writing. If you misunderstood that as a contradiction in terms or intent, my apologies. What you "saw" was merely an idea since you asked for it, and I was clear I wasn't listing everything possible as that would be an exercise in futility in effort to sate your curiosity. To that, I'd say use your

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Eh, IMHO, Batman is the least interesting part of the Bat family, so if we have to have more Bat films, if they made Batgirl and Nightwing and Oracle films instead of another effing Batman film (or even as well as) wouldn't be bad. I wanted to see a proper Batgirl film.

OTOH, if I had the option of some overlooked public domain works being made into films instead...Tarzan riding a triceratops to rescue the princess of the monkey people in a lost valley, or explorers in a digging machine burrow into the hollow earth and rescue slaves from psychic pteradactyls, or a guy gets a brain swap with an artificial monster so he can go undercover, but there's only so long until the failed experiment next door gets too big and eats his original body...and those are just Edgar Rice Burroughs, though the latter might still be under copyright.
I hadn't even heard this was a thing: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8790086/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Loved the Nolan Trilogy. Dark Knight is my current favorite movie of all time. I'll see that it is on, want to watch a few of my favorite scenes and then find myself watching the whole dang thing for the 100th time.

But we still have not seen a proper comic book almost accurate Batman movie yet. The animated series was very close to the Batman I know from the comics. I'd far prefer that to Batwoman or this version of Batgirl.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
But we still have not seen a proper comic book almost accurate Batman movie yet.
Dunno about that, Batman is something like 80 years old and has changed a lot over the generations, various comic book eras probably were reflected well by various movies. If you mean the current comics, though, probably not.

Reactions: gorfias