Batgirl Movie Cancelled by WB

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The thing is, it didn't need to make superhero money. You know what the budget was for Batgirl? $90 million. By comic book movie standards, that's barely anything. A half-assed marketing campaign can drive basically any movie to make at least half that on opening weekend alone, so saying that it would bomb SO BADLY that the only option was a tax write-down in order to recuperate costs, after the film is basically done, comes off as rather disingenuous.
Also consider reputational damage: a turkey so disease-riddled and emaciated that it could cost every film that might be associated with it (e.g. a Batman movie, even the entire DC universe), and quite a lot of the cast/crew and executives, too.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Also consider reputational damage: a turkey so disease-riddled and emaciated that it could cost every film that might be associated with it (e.g. a Batman movie, even the entire DC universe), and quite a lot of the cast/crew and executives, too.
You mean like Josstice League and Batman v Superman? They weren't exactly turkeys, persay, but they definitely colored the perception of DC movies for a long time afterwards, to the point where everyone thought DCEU was the grim-gritty counter to the fun MCU, even with films like Aquaman and Shazam coming out. I'm not arguing that reputational damage isn't a thing, mind you. It definitely is, and has affected films and series before, hence why it took so long for Marvel to do anything with Daredevil or The Punisher after they got the rights back. I'm just not fully convinced that Batgirl would have done that much damage to the DC universe brand even if it had flopped.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What exactly does Discovery have that they haven't shown yet that makes them think they can burn all these bridges without major repercussions? - They are setting a shit ton of bad blood with consumer and creator alike.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hot take.

The movie fucking sucks. The execs decide to reverse psychology the whole thing and pantomime a cancellation. They get everybody in on it. The footage is lost in a terrible fire. A few months go by and lo and behold, they've recovered the footage and they're releasing the movie. What's more, it's getting a limited release in theaters. See if that doesn't pack em. Zaslav saves the world from uh Zaslav. And everybody who either wouldn't have given a shit about Batgirl or criticized a shitty movie must henceforth qualify it as a win for humanity.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hot take.

The movie fucking sucks. The execs decide to reverse psychology the whole thing and pantomime a cancellation. They get everybody in on it. The footage is lost in a terrible fire. A few months go by and lo and behold, they've recovered the footage and they're releasing the movie. What's more, it's getting a limited release in theaters. See if that doesn't pack em. Zaslav saves the world from uh Zaslav. And everybody who either wouldn't have given a shit about Batgirl or criticized a shitty movie must henceforth qualify it as a win for humanity.
Only issue I see with that scenario is that the film is stored digitally so any fire that wipes it out would take basically every other film WB has on file.

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Only issue I see with that scenario is that the film is stored digitally so any fire that wipes it out would take basically every other film WB has on file.
The director (or maybe it was producer) said that when he got news of the cancellation, he tried to save a copy of the film, but found out it had already been wiped digitally. I think that's what Johnny was referring to.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I say it wasn't actually a fire but Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson trying to not lose their cool over an Apple and losing

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Hot take.

My understanding is that for them to be able to cancel it and legally declare it a failed project to the IRS they HAVE to delete everything associated with it.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
My understanding is that for them to be able to cancel it and legally declare it a failed project to the IRS they HAVE to delete everything associated with it.
That sounds very stupid

I assume the IRS is trying to stop the movie to suddenly become 'unfailed'.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Fuck it, I have enough to say about this to warrant its own topic, not just a generic news post.

So, despite this movie being deep in post-production, and therefore having basically all the money spent on it that it was going to have spent, WB decided to cancel Batgirl. They aren't only pulling it from its theatrical release, but they have no plans to even release it on HBO Max. Apparently, it wasn't testing well enough with audiences, and they've been cancelling a fair few projects to save on money thanks to the WB and Discovery merger.

Here's my issue. First off, as I said, the film was basically done. They've basically just pissed away all of the money they've already spent on Batgirl with no way to get any of it back. If they had released it with minimal marketing...OK, it may not have done well at the box office, but I'm pretty sure it would have been able to recoup more than its marketing costs, so even from a business perspective, I don't get it.

But what really bothers me is that $90 million is the budget of Batgirl at this point. That's not a lot of money, by Hollywood standards. You know what movie has a much larger budget, is not nearly as far in production, and has SO MUCH CONTROVERSY surrounding it at this point? The Flash. Why are Warner Bros. so stubborn about sticking by Ezra Miller after all that they've done, but the second audiences seem to not care for Batgirl, "Welp, might as well cancel it, no way we can save this film."?
*Puts down Marshmallow toasting fork*

1) It's $90 Million but also then another about $45 Million for marketing and global theatre distribution etc etc. Which as they're claiming some catastrophic error (some modern corporate equivalent of the studio burned down with the original film reels in it) they get to claim that money back off the government as a failed business venture write off or almost all of it at least. Releasing it would mean they don't get to claim that kind of money back and would need it to at least cover the marketing & half or more of the films production costs most likely.

2) The Flash (despite Ezra Miller's bad PR) is WB's chance to reboot the continuity and try to convert the present fans over to their new universe and announce to people who aren't fans that this is the new start point for them to jump in on. It's almost the easier story to adapt to screen out of the comics rather than needing to eplain how Superboy prime punched a hole in reality itself because it got angry. Batgirl isn't seen as a core part of their plan and isn't planned to bring over old fans to the new style and ideas they're planning for the DCU

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That sort of shit absolutely should not happen.

One of the points of capitalism is that if companies make shit people don't want then they deserve to make a loss, and they do it too much then they go broke. This shouldn't be undermined by the tax system.
Oddly agree.

Or if you want to Tax write off a piece of art the government should be given the rights to the film. Let the government be able to sell or release it for sale places and make some of that money back at least or something.

I mean not the writers, directors or editors. Im sure Ben Affleck really did enjoy being Batman until they told him he couldn't direct. But even then, remember the press tour for Batman vs Superman and how depressed everyone was? Or Joss Whedon just copying and pasting jokes from Avengers Age of Ultron into Justice League? Or anything that has to do with the Suicide Squad movies being a miserable assortment of scenes and lines not leading anywhere.
Marvel still wants to make the MCU. Im not convinced DC ever wanted to make the DCEU, they just wanted MCU paychecks and did the bare minimum they thought they needed to do to get it. And it shows. The DCEU is the bare minimum of comicbook movies. Im not even sure its fair to call it a cinematic universe. I'm pretty sure Flash was meant to reboot the whole thing, we got that other Batman now, and the actor who plays Flag, Joel Kinnaman, said DC would absolutely bring Flag back and declare Suicide Squad 2 non-canon if they thought it would make money.
Say what you will about actors leaving the MCU, I think Marvel would have to bend over pretty far and cut a pretty damn big check to get RDJ to come in and declare do-overs for Tony's death.
I mean they can bring Flag back and still have his death be cannon because Suicide Squad DC McGuffin stuff. They basically have a way to bring members back from the dead in the comics but it comes at a price of basically giving them a time limit on their life before they just drop dead anyway and can't be brought back, I think it was 5 years in the comics for the first death then if they die before then it's 2 years (unless they're already approaching the end of the original 5) and then a 3rd time drops them to 2 months or something.

Like what?
Stardust 2?

The Kevin Smith Green Hornet film (dunno if we're counting him as truly a superhero or just superhero adjacent)

How about the Guillermo Del Toro & James Cameron In the Mountains of Madness film that keeps being kicked around Hollywood studios at present but no-one will actually green light?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Or if you want to Tax write off a piece of art the government should be given the rights to the film. Let the government be able to sell or release it for sale places and make some of that money back at least or something.
Second that, if the government is paying for your mistake, the government owns it. Likewise, if your company needs a bail-out from the government, tough, but it can get bought out instead.