Batman and Superman "Facing Off" in Man of Steel Sequel

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
But if they're both in the same film, they'll cut into eachother's brooding time!

To be honest this seems like rushing into things, as people mentioned they don't really seem to have a plan and the existing Nolanverse Batman is a spanner of solid confusion in the works. You'll get a lot of people wondering what the fuck is going on with Bats (I'd suggest making this interpretation very different to the Nolan one), and I don't really think this has been set up properly.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Did not see this coming. It's ballsy to be sure, and probably won't work. It was bad enough wading through the miasma of depression that was Man of Steel. Which makes me wonder if this film won't devolve into a category 5 hurricane of sadness when these two meet.

"I had kill the last of my race!" versus "I saw my parents murdered in front of me!"

"I can still hear his neck snapping!" versus "I can still hear the pearls bouncing off the sidewalk!"

The only way this can work is if it's established that Clark worked through his emotional baggage and is better for it. And probably the same for Bruce, too. The end result being two heroes that can act rather than react because of their past.

But that won't happen. I wouldn't be surprised that Batman becomes Batman because of the events of Man of Steel.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I'd prefer something like this over a rushed JL movie, though. Yeah, Marvel and Disney did that right, as mentioned here already, but DC and WB wanted to go straight there instead of building it up over years with great movies leading into it. At least this should be fun and could lead to a JL film.

A fight between Superman and Batman would be both awesome and a close call and could make for great action cinema.

EDIT: I would prefer a movie about The Question, if anything.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
So...basically, they couldn't justify doing a sequel to Man of Steel, but they were too embarrassed to just not make one, so they're throwing in Batman?

I can't really see this movie being any good, since it's the sort of thing where the marketing campaign writes the movie, rather than someone actually setting out to make a good movie.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Man of Steel was the third best superhero movie ever so I am extremely excited for Snyder, Goyer and Nolan to continue the franchise.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
KingWein22 said:
And the judge of the contest will be Wonder Woman.
Thats pretty kinky. I think Batman could only win if he got to use his utility belt and all his gadgets.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
ClockworkUniverse said:
So...basically, they couldn't justify doing a sequel to Man of Steel, but they were too embarrassed to just not make one, so they're throwing in Batman?

I can't really see this movie being any good, since it's the sort of thing where the marketing campaign writes the movie, rather than someone actually setting out to make a good movie.
Well Batman seems to be the only character DC can actually successfully move to the big screen, so I guess it makes sense.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Might be cool. I liked the Batman movies, and the Superman one was alright. Could be interesting seeing them in the same movie, if it is handled correctly. If batman even proves to be slightly difficult for Superman to beat it'll be ridiculous.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Angry Joe made a video talking about this.

It's a bit long but he makes some really good points.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Make a bad Superman movie that is trying to turn the character into something he's not via hopping on the Batman grittiness train? What better thing to do then throw Batman in its sequel! :-D Brriiiillliant!

May 20, 2009
Is batman going to be green then? Nothing can face superman without kryptonite, right? Maybe all of his gadgets will have the stuff and his armour too.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Urg, I think this is bad. I mean, for all of Moviebob's bitching over how much darker Man of Steel was, it was still a hell of a lot lighter in tone then The Dark Knight. I can't imagine making a movie like this without forcing one of the two to snap into a different atmosphere.

Not to mention I think that the Batman vs Superman argument is stupid as fuck. Not only would logically neither of the two want to actually fight each other, but Superman would win. I mean I prefer Batman as a character, but everybody knows Superman would win without magical ass-pulled kryptonite.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Alluos said:
Just hoping that Batman doesn't steal the show completely.
Supposedly it's based on The Dark Knight Returns, but I'm hoping it only draws inspiration from it, I'd hate for a Superman movie to suffer from the infamous bat-fad...
Even if he isn't written to steal the show, batfans will make sure the batfad continues.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
Spoiler: Superman wins.

(Honestly, if the film shows anything other than a complete non-contest when these two fight, it's kidding itself. Batman's great, and I don't like Superman that much, but superstrength + laser eyes + flying > martial arts + body armour + bat-themed vehicles).
You forgot about Batman's number one super power:

His ability to magically scale to any power level and still somehow be considered human.

Adam Jensen said:
They are gonna screw this up royally. The biggest reason why The Avengers universe was so well translated to the big screen is because Marvel and Disney had a long-term plan for the franchise. They knew what they wanted.
To be fair, DC has wanted a Justice League movie almost as long. I'm sure they had a plan, it just seemed to fall apart. The problem here is poor execution more than anything else.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Alluos said:
Just hoping that Batman doesn't steal the show completely.
Supposedly it's based on The Dark Knight Returns, but I'm hoping it only draws inspiration from it, I'd hate for a Superman movie to suffer from the infamous bat-fad...
Even if he isn't written to steal the show, batfans will make sure the batfad continues.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
Spoiler: Superman wins.

(Honestly, if the film shows anything other than a complete non-contest when these two fight, it's kidding itself. Batman's great, and I don't like Superman that much, but superstrength + laser eyes + flying > martial arts + body armour + bat-themed vehicles).
You forgot about Batman's number one super power:

His ability to magically scale to any power level and still somehow be considered human.

Batman can beat Superman, or at least keep up with him. I agree, there are plenty of stories that are painfully outlandish and take it too far, but still; Batman has a supply of Kryptonite, multiple back up plans with safeguards put in place already and he's an intelligent man with a heck of a lot of training. A fight between these two could be close and could have Batman as the winner. But this film will most likely go more towards the stupid and impossible, as opposed the the sensible, though so my point is kind moot. Just defending the Bat... Because clearly, I'm a fan.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Phrozenflame500 said:
Urg, I think this is bad. I mean, for all of Moviebob's bitching over how much darker Man of Steel was, it was still a hell of a lot lighter in tone then The Dark Knight. I can't imagine making a movie like this without forcing one of the two to snap into a different atmosphere.

Not to mention I think that the Batman vs Superman argument is stupid as fuck. Not only would logically neither of the two want to actually fight each other, but Superman would win. I mean I prefer Batman as a character, but everybody knows Superman would win without magical ass-pulled kryptonite.
Summed up my feelings perfectly. I would have rather had another good man of steel movie than see them try and force JL as soon as they can. This movie will basically be their testing ground to see if they can get away with rushing JL.

I hate saying this but I hope this idea bombs. If superman was brought on board after batman begins, you bet your ass people would be like wtf.