Batman and Superman "Facing Off" in Man of Steel Sequel

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Batman can beat Superman, or at least keep up with him. I agree, there are plenty of stories that are painfully outlandish and take it too far, but still; Batman has a supply of Kryptonite, multiple back up plans with safeguards put in place already and he's an intelligent man with a heck of a lot of training. A fight between these two could be close and could have Batman as the winner. But this film will most likely go more towards the stupid and impossible, as opposed the the sensible, though so my point is kind moot. Just defending the Bat... Because clearly, I'm a fan.
Superman can break the sound barrier (at least), punch people into the sun, hit people from a distance with heat vision and ice breath. It doesn't matter how clever you are, if you're facing a guy with Superman's level of power who can close a distance of miles between you faster than you can blink then no, no plan will help. Again Batman's awesome and if Superman wasn't that powerful yeah he could. I mean if someone at Wonder Woman or Aquaman's level had a super "off switch" like Superman then yeah Batman could probably beat them, but not Superman.[/quote]

I don't wont to go into "vs thread" territory here, because fuck those things, but it depends on how much "prep time" Batman has had. He's got infinite money and high intelligence so, if he was going for Superman, he could do it. In a straight up fight out of the blue with no prep time (I dunno, I discussion about how ugly Ma Kent is gets out of hand) then it depends on how much time Superman gives batman to whip out the kryptonite. Like if Superman gives him a warning first. But if Superman suddenly goes full evil, there's no chance (since there'd be no warning or hesitation).

But if Batman was gunning for Superman, yeah he'd have a good chance.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Red X said:
See, they really should have scaled back Superman's abilities because i have to ask what could Batman possibly add to the MoS's Superman?
I expect the film will be "Batman and Superman fight to sort out their differences but unite against a common enemy" (perhaps Lex Luthor, Batman works for Luthor first maybe?) like in The Avengers.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Spoiler: Superman wins.

(Honestly, if the film shows anything other than a complete non-contest when these two fight, it's kidding itself. Batman's great, and I don't like Superman that much, but superstrength + laser eyes + flying > martial arts + body armour + bat-themed vehicles).
In DC lore, Batman has a Kryptonite ring as a contingency measure for if Superman ever goes apeshit. Likely he'll end up grabbing that for the inevitable confrontation.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
As long as I get to see Batman kicking Superman's ass, this may be a Superman movie I actually would pay to see.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I know that Warner Bros. basically feel obligated to include Christopher Nolan and David Goyer since every superhero movie they touch miraculously turns into money, but they should really just let them go and bring on someone that actually WANTS to be making superhero movies at this point.

Man of Steel was seriously a mess. For me it wasn't even the dark tones or the fact that Superman kills a guy, it's that they walked all over and then spit on the "show don't tell" rule, then threw in some weak logic and story structure to boot.

They keep going on and on about how Supes is afraid to reveal himself to the world and how he has to restrain himself, but he's never shown to have any trouble with either of those. He just does it anyway, then goes full force beating up Zod not holding back at all. The whole idea of "people aren't ready for Superman" gets about 5 minutes of screen time. Hell not even that. The army guy says to open fire on Superman, they do, he flies off, 5 minutes later he saves one of them and then it's all over. There's no emotional payoff, barely even anything added to the plot. The whole concept could have just been ignored and the movie wouldn't be much different.

That's not even mentioning the utterly botched relationship between Clark and Lois. Do I even need to explain this one? Even the most oblivious audience could tell there was no chemistry between them. They just happen to be in the same places at the same time, and then inexplicably end up kissing. And don't even get me started on why they took Lois on board the Kryptonian ship in the first place.

Mark D. Stroyer

Apr 12, 2011
..Okay. So. Kinda...disappointing. Mostly because all the DC movies are being made by the same few people, and those people seem to lack the ability to write a proper script.

Now, a Zack Snyder-directed movie, written by Scott Snyder? Now that I would pay some serious money to see.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
uuugh. really? just.....really? This is just...ok, this is just excessive and money grubbing. Batman as the antagonist against Superman who now just kills his foes like moviebob stated? Superman with no moral setbacks against a normal human with loads of spoiled brat money and there's been NO creative plot hooks or traces to kryptonite:

You're a danger to humanity and are bat-poo crazy Bruce. Come peace-fully.

I have bad guys

My bad guys are worse *takes out batman with 'maybe a minor unimaginative drawback' and all his bad guys*

Gotham is saved. Yay!

Happy supper-hero team is made somehow in another movie.

PS:
Also those two aren't the greatest heroes. They just happen to be two of the most iconic.

also, check this out "What if superman punched you" from vsauce. fun times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fL8zopddI

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
At best, I can see Lex being the villain spinning Supermans destruction of Metropolis and managing to con Batman into going after Superman, but then they figure out whats going on and team up.

The quote they used sounds terribly like they're going to go the boring VS route. Which is a good way to kill one or both characters potential momentum in the bud. Even the Hulk/Thor battle in Avengers (which was a nod to the original comic, granted) came off as the low point of the movie.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Seth Carter said:
[...]Even the Hulk/Thor battle in Avengers (which was a nod to the original comic, granted) came off as the low point of the movie.
Well, It had a bit more value then "Lets you and him fight!".

In that case, it was part of Loki's plan to disable SHIELD and the Avengers long enough to conquer the earth.
I don't mind such "Vs." Scenes in movies, provided they are worked in on merits other than "Who Would win?" and actually contribute to the plot like that.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Credossuck said:
wait, didn't supes, like kill zod hereby getting rid of the only trait that bruce could exploit at every story event that happened so far? Superman doesnt kill. With that one out i call batman getting heat visioned to death at minute 2 of the battle. thusly laying finally to rest the whole argument.
I don't get this whole "Superman loves killing because he killed Zod" thing that people seem to be on since MoS. Superman avoided killing Zod for as long as he possibly could until he had no other choice. Just because Superman killed ONCE after doing everything possible to avoid doing so doesn't mean he's now an Ax-Crazy psychopath. Besides, they never established that Superman had a problem with killing MoS to begin with.

In fact, I don't get why Superman killing is such a sore spot with so many people. The only reasons Superman wasn't killing his villains left and right from the very start of his existence was because:
1. Then they have to come up with a new villain EVERY issue.
2. The Comics Code was in effect, which meant that killing was a big no no, so Superman didn't.

However, The Comics Code has been dead for about 3 decades now, and the idea that heroes can't kill villains no matter how mindnumbingly it is not to has pretty much vanished with it.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I just realized something:
In the movie I Am Legend, the end of humanity came just as the Batman/Superman movie was released.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captcha: enjoy life
Damn right, I only have 2 years left.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Are they going to be competing for most "gritty, depressing, and real" character?

Either way, superman just needs 5 seconds and a neck-snap and that's all she wrote.