Batman: Arkham Knight's Titular Knight Revealed in Screenshots

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Batman: Arkham Knight's Titular Knight Revealed in Screenshots

The titular Arkham Knight is a brand-new Batman villain that Rocksteady has created for the new game.

Earlier in the month, we learned that the "Arkham Knight" in Rocksteady's upcoming Batman: Arkham Knight is not referring to Batman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132654-Batman-Arkham-Knights-Titular-Knight-Is-Not-Actually-Batman], who sometimes goes by "The Dark Knight", but rather a brand-new villain that's been created specifically for the game. We now know what the Arkham Knight will look like, thanks to some new screenshots Rocksteady has released. That's him to the right, sporting a kind of cyborg-ninja look, that's very clearly inspired by Batman's own outfit.

Arkham Knight will be joined by some classics from Batman's traditional rogue's gallery, including Scarecrow, Two-Face, Penguin, and Harley Quinn. He won't, however, be joined by Batman's most iconic villain, the Joker, as Rocksteady has very clearly stated that his story is over [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132738-Batman-Arkham-Knight-Wont-Bring-The-Joker-Back].

We don't really know any more about him, but it looks like he will fulfill a kind of "anti-hero" role rather than a full blown villain.

Batman: Arkham Knight will be the fourth game in the "Arkham" series, but will chronologically follow Arkham City, as Arkham Origins was a prequel. It is scheduled to be released worldwide on October 14, for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Check out the rest of the screenshots below:

[gallery=2269]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm surprised hes not walking around with the severed heads of his dead parents, that would be really adult and brooding.

Edit: is batman shooting a gun in one of those pics? Dammit, they've gone 'shadow the hedgehog.'

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
As disturbed that I am that here is yet another Arkham game no more than 1 year after the last one, I gotta hand it to whoever is developing this: it will at least have an intimidating villain. The world may also be Arkham City and Gotham City together for some reason, since this will be on newest-gen discs with more storage space than the past generation's.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I was initially thrilled by the trailer, then wondering where they could possibly go with it all..... And whoah,breaking new ground like the ending Arkham City and now this??

Good old Rocksteady! :D

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I have been remarkably unimpressed by what I've seen and played of Arkham Origins, but I have to admit, this new one looks pretty badass. Were they developed concurrently?

Also,

Steven Bogos said:
Batman: Arkham Aslyum will be the fourth game in the "Arkham" series, but will chronologically follow Arkham City, as Arkham Origins was a prequel.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
This is mostly unlrelated, but you know whats a good show? Batman the Brave and the Bold. And do you know one of the reasons why its good? Because Batman occasionally smiles and has terrible puns.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Xman490 said:
As disturbed that I am that here is yet another Arkham game no more than 1 year after the last one, I gotta hand it to whoever is developing this: it will at least have an intimidating villain. The world may also be Arkham City and Gotham City together for some reason, since this will be on newest-gen discs with more storage space than the past generation's.
I don't understand why you're disturbed, this one has been in development since Arkham City was finished and it's being done by the original developers. Origins was another developer... and the less said about it the better.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
Xman490 said:
I've been going on the assumption that this has actually been in development for a while and that Arkham Origins was shat out by W.B. just to keep people "happy". That would explain why Rocksteady wasn't involved with Origins and why this was announced so soon after. That's what I'm hoping anyway, as Origins sort of shook my faith in this series.

As for the villain? My money would be on Jason Todd or the likes, based on those cryptic easter eggs in Arkham City. That in mind, it could also be Hush!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
He just looks like a "make a cooler and modern" version of Batman. Body armour and baggy trousers and no cape. But, i kinda like the look. It sucks there is no Joker, but atleast it gives another villian a chance to shine. An thats a good thing. Imagine if they did an entire game with Scarecrow as the main villian? That would be great.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Mahorfeus said:
I have been remarkably unimpressed by what I've seen and played of Arkham Origins, but I have to admit, this new one looks pretty badass. Were they developed concurrently?
Rocksteady weren't involved with Origins so it seems like they have indeed been developing this since Arkham City whilst WB Whereever tried to make Arkham Origins. Hopefully the longer development time will show in the finished product.

And I really hope that when they say Arkham Knight is an original character that he/she/it/they are totally original and not just a reimagining of Nightwing or something. Maybe he's not even real and it's just some kind of Scarecrow induced hallucination?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am predicting an anti-hero who is essentially Batman but willing to get their hands dirty. So they will fight crime but are not bothered about killing any of the bad guys, which puts them at odds with Batman.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Batman: Arkham Aslyum will be the fourth game in the "Arkham" series...
Pssst! Hey, Steve! Ummmm, I believe Arkham Asylum was actually the first game in the series. :p

OT: Hopefully they'll do more with this guy than "the other studio" did with Death Stroke. Seriously, they pumped him up as one of the major foes/features of Origins and then he just shows up for a single fight, you beat him down, and he's done for the rest of the game.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I want Batman beyond already, Arkham city doesn't need a lackluster sequal of grimdarker and edgier b-man with guns, seen that done that.

Fu11Frontal

Apr 17, 2013
I can just see the main writer (Paul Dini again?) going, "See, my Batman is cooler. He's got ninja armor and he's morally grey. He also dates Harley Quinn, too. See? Soooo much cooler than Batman."

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Seems interesting. Hopefully this game will be much more badass than Origins was. Then again, Rocksteady had no involvement in Origins, so hey.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
So he's metal batman? Like the mario and sonic versions before him? Not that he doesn't look cool but I was thinking it would be something a little more original

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Gotta be the joker under that mask, and the suit is all that keeps him alive. I don't care what rocketeady says, that's probably the joker.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Legion said:
I am predicting an anti-hero who is essentially Batman but willing to get their hands dirty. So they will fight crime but are not bothered about killing any of the bad guys, which puts them at odds with Batman.
In other words, basically the most predictable way they could possibly go with it. That better not be the case, because seeing the same story pop up alarming frequency gets old.

Besides, Kingdom Come is automatically the superior telling since Alex Ross did the art.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Worgen said:
I'm surprised hes not walking around with the severed heads of his dead parents, that would be really adult and brooding.

Edit: is batman shooting a gun in one of those pics? Dammit, they've gone 'shadow the hedgehog.'
If you're referring to picture 5, that isn't batman, that's the villain; Arkham Knight. Made in collaboration between Rocksteady and DC.

OT: I never got Origins as the reviews made me feel it wasn't quite as stellar as Asylum and City. But I'm very much looking forward to the new instalment and can't wait to see some gameplay.