Batman Arkham Origins Hands-on Preview

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Question if you don't mind? I was a bit disappointed to see a hands on article and then the video was nothing but cut scene (Not your fault I'm sure), obviously you weren't given any material for the game play to show or something, why is that when you can show work to back up "This is a good game!" why wouldn't they let you guys do that?
So the kind of footage you're referring to is "direct feed," and it's not always allowed. Sometimes it's because the build we're playing isn't quite finished, and the devs simply don't want footage of wonky Batman ending up on YouTube as "proof" that the game sucks. Sometimes it's simple PR - they want to reveal gameplay footage on their marketing schedule, not our deadline.
Thanks for getting back to me :D That all makes sense, not sure why I didn't think of all that, when I saw the term "hands on" I thought it might mean we will see some game play, that said, this video and the write up were good though. I'm really looking forward to this one, hence why I really want to see it.

hazabaza1 said:
Just jumping in to complain that what the fuck, so many loose plot threads at the end of City, c'mon guys stop being pricks.

Okay I'm done.
Different devs are doing this one, that said, yeah, would be cool to see what happened about a few of the other plot lines that were left unresolved.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
chozo_hybrid said:
Susan Arendt said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Question if you don't mind? I was a bit disappointed to see a hands on article and then the video was nothing but cut scene (Not your fault I'm sure), obviously you weren't given any material for the game play to show or something, why is that when you can show work to back up "This is a good game!" why wouldn't they let you guys do that?
So the kind of footage you're referring to is "direct feed," and it's not always allowed. Sometimes it's because the build we're playing isn't quite finished, and the devs simply don't want footage of wonky Batman ending up on YouTube as "proof" that the game sucks. Sometimes it's simple PR - they want to reveal gameplay footage on their marketing schedule, not our deadline.
Thanks for getting back to me :D That all makes sense, not sure why I didn't think of all that, when I saw the term "hands on" I thought it might mean we will see some game play, that said, this video and the write up were good though. I'm really looking forward to this one, hence why I really want to see it.

hazabaza1 said:
Just jumping in to complain that what the fuck, so many loose plot threads at the end of City, c'mon guys stop being pricks.

Okay I'm done.
Different devs are doing this one, that said, yeah, would be cool to see what happened about a few of the other plot lines that were left unresolved.
"Hands on" is just to differentiate from hands off - if I actually get to play the thing, I know what's happening is 100% legit. If it's a presentation, I have no clue how much is real and how much is theater. So it's handy (no pun intended) information for the reader to help them know how much salt to take with descriptions.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Okay then, I will remember that from now on, thanks for clearing all this up for me. This is why I like coming here, the people running this place are awesome.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Arkham Origins looks like it will be very good. I am a bit depressed that Kevin Conroy won't be voicing Bruce Wayne/Batman but I have faith in Roger Craig Smith. He is a pretty good voice actor. I am happy to see Troy baker is voicing The Joker. I would have liked John DiMaggio to to since he was great in Under The Red Hood but Troy Baker is excellent too.

Over all though it looks like a pretty good game. I can't wait to play it.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Bat Vader said:
Arkham Origins looks like it will be very good. I am a bit depressed that Kevin Conroy won't be voicing Bruce Wayne/Batman but I have faith in Roger Craig Smith. He is a pretty good voice actor. I am happy to see Troy baker is voicing The Joker. I would have liked John DiMaggio to to since he was great in Under The Red Hood but Troy Baker is excellent too.
Personally, Dave Wittenberg would have been my choice as a replacement for Mark Hamill.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Bat Vader said:
Personally, Dave Wittenberg would have been my choice as a replacement for Mark Hamill.
He would have Batman pretty well. When he has to get angry or serious for a scene he does it pretty well.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Bat Vader said:
immortalfrieza said:
Bat Vader said:
He would have Batman pretty well. When he has to get angry or serious for a scene he does it pretty well.
He did Kefka in Dissidia, that's what I meant.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Bat Vader said:
immortalfrieza said:
Bat Vader said:
I never played Dissidia. I heard it was good though.

Has it been officially said how far in the past Arkahm Origins is? Everyone looks a lot younger so I want to assume about 10 years but at the same time I feel that may be too long as well.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Bat Vader said:
immortalfrieza said:
Bat Vader said:
immortalfrieza said:
Bat Vader said:
I never played Dissidia. I heard it was good though.

Has it been officially said how far in the past Arkahm Origins is? Everyone looks a lot younger so I want to assume about 10 years but at the same time I feel that may be too long as well.
Here's a compilation video filled with some of Kefka's best moments to give you an idea:

As for how far back, I think what's shown in this article is about as much as is known at this point. Judging by the name though, it's probably about the beginning of his career.