I couldn't be less interested.
This seems like a cash grab to me.
Would happily be proved wrong though.

petrolmonkey

May 6, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
pure.Wasted said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy both said they wouldn't be doing voice work for any more batman games after Arkham City right after City was released, and the writer, Paul Dini, said he wasn't involved with the new prequel Batman game back when it was first teased in 2012.
Good riddance on Paul Dini. He can write the Joker in his sleep, but pretty much every single other character turns into a one-dimensional, moustache-twirling, pun-spewing idiot.

I'd be excited about it even if Mark Hamill was returning. But he's not, hence no big role for the Joker, hence nothing at all to lose.
From the information releases the Joker still seems to be a major part of the game, since one of the elements of the game is supposed to be the first meeting between Batman and Joker.
First encounter with Red Hood and creating Joker? That would be kind of cool but at the same time I prefer not knowing exactly how he became what he is.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yopaz said:
Apologies, what with it being sidequests and being a while ago I guess it just didn't click. You might want to edit the quote so others can't see it too.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Yopaz said:
Apologies, what with it being sidequests and being a while ago I guess it just didn't click. You might want to edit the quote so others can't see it too.
Whoops, now I feel stupid. I should have thought of that when I quoted you.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
OOOOooo. Why no Rocksteady? I mean, they're pretty much THE best you could get, tried and true. I'm totally gonna have to wait now until I see the first half of the game on Youtube. I mean, sure you could argue that if they use the same engine it could turn into a New Vegas thing, but I wouldn't count on that. I just...I just don't understand WB, don't you love us anymore?

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
Not being a Rocksteady game already lowered my interest, the presence of the Joker and the possibility of him not being dubbed by Mark Hamill makes it a bargain bin title, that all coupled with Warner's abusive DRM policy of course.

Like others, I'd love to be proven wrong, my avatar doesn't let me lie.

PS what's that about no Conroy? No Conroy no Batman.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Very much enjoyed Batman Arkham City so looking forward to this.
Sounds pretty cool at least reading from the link.

petrolmonkey

May 6, 2009
EHKOS said:
OOOOooo. Why no Rocksteady? I mean, they're pretty much THE best you could get, tried and true. I'm totally gonna have to wait now until I see the first half of the game on Youtube. I mean, sure you could argue that if they use the same engine it could turn into a New Vegas thing, but I wouldn't count on that. I just...I just don't understand WB, don't you love us anymore?
I'm hoping, though admit it is unlikely, that they are secretly working on a follow up to Arkham City.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I'm both excited and not for this. In fact, it's the "not" that is increasing my excitement.

Arkham City was a huge letdown for me, mostly because my expectations were too high after Arkham Asylum. So hopefully what'll happen is that my relative disappointment with City will temper my expectations for Origins, and I can again be pleasantly surprised by it. (City was also spoiled for me and thousands of others by Kotaku, which certainly didn't help.)

So because City wasn't as good as I expected it to be, Origins should be better than I expect, so long as I keep those expectations fairly low.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
everythingbeeps said:
I'm both excited and not for this. In fact, it's the "not" that is increasing my excitement.

Arkham City was a huge letdown for me, mostly because my expectations were too high after Arkham Asylum. So hopefully what'll happen is that my relative disappointment with City will temper my expectations for Origins, and I can again be pleasantly surprised by it. (City was also spoiled for me and thousands of others by Kotaku, which certainly didn't help.)

So because City wasn't as good as I expected it to be, Origins should be better than I expect, so long as I keep those expectations fairly low.
I agree. I just didn't enjoy City as much as I could've because I had such high expectations. Plus the main villain got spoiled for me somehow.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
endtherapture said:
everythingbeeps said:

I agree. I just didn't enjoy City as much as I could've because I had such high expectations. Plus the main villain got spoiled for me somehow.
The main villain was pretty lame. Least interesting villain in the whole game.

(As an aside, do we no longer get messages when we're quoted on Escapist? I haven't posted here in a while, but I liked that feature a lot.)

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
everythingbeeps said:
endtherapture said:
everythingbeeps said:

The main villain was pretty lame. Least interesting villain in the whole game.

(As an aside, do we no longer get messages when we're quoted on Escapist? I haven't posted here in a while, but I liked that feature a lot.)
Who did you count as the main villain? Ra's being behind it all was really boring and somewhat predictable. Strange was completely underused as a villain, and Clayface reveal was kinda boring.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
pure.Wasted said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy both said they wouldn't be doing voice work for any more batman games after Arkham City right after City was released, and the writer, Paul Dini, said he wasn't involved with the new prequel Batman game back when it was first teased in 2012.
Good riddance on Paul Dini. He can write the Joker in his sleep, but pretty much every single other character turns into a one-dimensional, moustache-twirling, pun-spewing idiot.

I'd be excited about it even if Mark Hamill was returning. But he's not, hence no big role for the Joker, hence nothing at all to lose.
I have to disagree with you regarding Paul Dini. For example, Mr. Dini completely reimagined Mr. Freeze and turned him from the Joke villain of the 60s into the morally complex, broken figure that he has been protrayed as in every medium since the "Heart of Ice" episode of Batman: The Animated Series (an episode he wrote). The problem with Batman's most recognizable villains is that they pretty much were all one-note schtick based caricatures when they were introduced. Some great writers managed to add depth and at times pathos to the characters, I would consider Dini amongst the best within that club.

As for this game, Dini not coming back does make me sad and I really really hope Conroy comes back to do Bats, but I'll likely pick it up anyway as long as the stealth/combat stays at the same quality level.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Some screenshots:

I'm liking Black Mask's new design, but I'm not keen on the Penguin... I don't know, I guess I just liked the broken bottle monocle thing he was rocking in Arkham City.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Wow. Those screenshots looks great.

Seems like with Black Mask/Penguin there might be a bit of a gang war thing going on...before the "freaks" such as Joker take power.

Looks like they're just using the same engine as AC, so hopefully the same combat system etc.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Sooo... guys, you gonna wrap up all those sidequest cliffhangers from City?
No?
Okay, that's cool I guess.
[sub][sub]I-it's not like I want to play your game or anything, bakas![/sub][/sub]
Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who went, "Wait, what about (insert character's name/quest here)?"

Prequel is all well and good, but why put those little cliffhanger, "to-be-continued" side quests in the game if you're not going to touch them? And are we really going to just leave Batman the way he is at the end of Harley's Revenge? Seriously?

petrolmonkey

May 6, 2009
endtherapture said:
Wow. Those screenshots looks great.

Seems like with Black Mask/Penguin there might be a bit of a gang war thing going on...before the "freaks" such as Joker take power.

Looks like they're just using the same engine as AC, so hopefully the same combat system etc.
They are. Basically it seems as if Rocksteady handed them everything they had that would be needed to keep the game close to the others.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Colour me interested but it's starting to sound like a game set apart from the previous two Arkham ones. Different studio, different voice actors, prequel. At this rate, I'd almost prefer if it wasn't set in the same timeline/"universe" as Asylum and City.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sooo... guys, you gonna wrap up all those sidequest cliffhangers from City?
No?
Okay, that's cool I guess.
[sub][sub]I-it's not like I want to play your game or anything, bakas![/sub][/sub]
Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who went, "Wait, what about (insert character's name/quest here)?"

Prequel is all well and good, but why put those little cliffhanger, "to-be-continued" side quests in the game if you're not going to touch them? And are we really going to just leave Batman the way he is at the end of Harley's Revenge? Seriously?
...And who said Rocksteady aren't possibly working on a continuation of Arkham City? or will atleast, in the future?