Batman Gotham Knights Annoucement

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Yeah, it has been confirmed that this game is not connected to the Arkham games, and is something completely new.

Arkham Knight spoilers:
It just seems so strange, then, that this game's version of Batman seemingly dies the exact same way that Arkham series' Batman died(?).

Surely there are lots of different ways to have Batman killed off, and having him explode in his mansion, seemingly by his own doing, is an oddly specific way to do it, if this isn't supposed to be connected at all.

Im not suggesting that there is some kind of conspiracy here - if they aren't connected, then that is fine - it just seems weird to me.
Its the same reason the Avengers game has character models that are just slightly off the movie models: they want to have the lowest barrier of entry possible to existing fans without having to give credit or money to the success that they're trying to ride.

Marketing, everybody!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No, the problem with them was that their core mechanics weren't very good. Batman isn't the Flash. He doesn't zigzag-warp from one corner of a room to another punching baddies and he can't fight fifty at once.
Depends on the comic, to be honest.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No, the problem with them was that their core mechanics weren't very good. Batman isn't the Flash. He doesn't zigzag-warp from one corner of a room to another punching baddies and he can't fight fifty at once. The Arkham games are streamlined to allow this type of ridiculous combat. It HAS to be shallow or the player COULDN'T rack up five hundred chain combos.
Nothing wrong with shallow sometimes. I understand your point, but I like the combat in the Arkham games. Two of them anyway. Origins and Knight is when it's starts to flop around in quality. I hate the Batmobile in Ark Knight so fucking much.

I'm also miffed Splinter Cell's darkness mechanic never made it into the Batman games. Arkham's stealth is so simplistic and so poorly integrated with combat.
That's an idea like, but Arkham's stealth is fine. Not the greatest, nor the worst, but simple enough. I think the darkness mechanic was an idea used in the Batman Begins game too, if I remember correctly, but to not as good.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
We could have proper Batman reboot. but everyone obsessed with puting RPG elements in action games and thus ruined.

I blame success of witcher 3 for that.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Another disappointing reveal. I was hoping for atleast one Batman game and Court of Owls was a perfectly good premise. Instead we get uninteresting side characters with stupid designs, RPG elements in Arkham rhythm combat and co-op. The game also seems to lack an artistic vision like Arkham had. It just looks like a more colorful, more scripted and juvenile remix of those games combined with some 'popular' design elements to cast an as wide a net as possible.

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
So long as the level scaling thing isn't handled very poorly (ie, random mooks able to one shot you while they tank hits like a wall), I am all on board for this.

Nightwing and Red Hood playable? Batman dead? Multiple villains to face off against? Sign me the heck up!

Reactions: lefthanded12

lefthanded12

Aug 24, 2020
I watched the trailer, and when I heard about the RPG mechanics and level numbers next to opponents, I felt deflated. Not a fan of how many of these microtransaction games have implemented it. Assassins Creed Odyssey wasn't as fun as previous games due to the need for the grind due to level gating.

Additionally, games that are designed with microtransactions in mind, even if paying isn't required, feel less than non-microtransaction games. The best example for me was Shadow of Mordor vs Shadow of War. Even though Shadow of War's gameplay wasn't hampered by microtransactions, there was still a little something off about the whole experience (probably in terms of mission designs and structure) compared to Shadow of Mordor.

After watching the gameplay video, I am a bit more excited about it. Graphics look great, gameplay seems like seems like there'll be good complexity in it.
The designer's comment about how the boss (Mister Freeze) fight will differ based on level, not just from a stat perspective but from mechanics, is a relief (as long as they implement it correctly). Its not fun to be gated out of content due to one hit KOs or needing to do 100x the amount of button presses to defeat the boss. Hopefully level scaling is done well.

I was really hoping that Rocksteady's upcoming game would provide me with the next Arkham fix, but that seems like a totally different game (Division type game) with characters I never cared for. This game has my favorite superhero sidekick characters, and has a lot of promise.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
We could have proper Batman reboot. but everyone obsessed with puting RPG elements in action games and thus ruined.

I blame success of witcher 3 for that.
Witcher 3 is not an action game with RPG elements. Why would Witcher 3 have anything to do with the rise of RPG mechanics in action games?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Didn't everyone hate it when the Assassin's Creed games went this way?

I choose to interpret this as meaning Adam West-era Batman, with "POW" and "BAM" graphics popping up every time you land a hit.
Holy Shit a Brave and the Bold game like that, or just a straight up Adam West era style game would be my fucking bread and jam

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
So the more I read about this, the more I really want it.

You can totally play it like a single player game, enemies scale in terms of abilities and not just stats during the game, no level gating, the levels only exist so you can see at a glance if an enemy group is easy prey or a challenge (or which enemies in a group are the tough ones), etc etc...

It also helps that I happen to know one of the designers working on it, which makes me very happy for him to be working on something this neat. XD

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These days, if the studio doesn’t have a good track record of delivering despite delays, it’s safe to assume development hell or COVID (or both) as a prime culprit.
Not really a big surprise frankly. Given how insane the last year has been, the idea that ANYTHING, video game, film, you name it, isn't going to be delayed significantly, is laughable. I'd frankly be MORE suspicious if it wasn't going to be delayed.
Funny thing is I just pick up the Arkham Double Pack from Best Buy yesterday. It was their last one. Only cost me $21.19. I'm thinking popping it in tonight. Right after I finish the first season of KonoSuba.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Given the devs' track record, the delay better result in a decent launch. Still bitter at how Arkham Origins was 75% exactly the same as City but with new bugs.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Funny thing is I just pick up the Arkham Double Pack from Best Buy yesterday. It was their last one. Only cost me $21.19. I'm thinking popping it in tonight. Right after I finish the first season of KonoSuba.
I really enjoyed that first Arkham City game, assuming that's part of the double pack? I don't recall playing any others that they published, as I just sort of lost interest in the series. I was never a huge DC fan to begin with, but, being able to actually BE batman, going out on patrol in a city, and smashing villains as I fly around on my cape, was really fucking fun. The ability to bat-hook to nearby buildings, and then redeploy my cape to maintain flight was fantastically fun. It felt a lot like Just Cause 4's wingsuit mechanics, but not as brutally unforgiving. Also was the closest to replicating the feeling of webswinging from Spiderman 2 PS2, before the PS4 game came out. Definitely a fun title. I don't remember shit from the plot, because it's DC insanity of the rogue's gallery of Batman lunatics (literally), so it makes zero sense. But, flying around fighting thugs, either steathily, or by slamming down in the middle of them and brawling it out in a city street, was super fucking fun.

Actually, on that note, are any of the other open city Batman games, after the first one they did, good/fun? I know there was that one title that was notorious for being broken as fuck, but didn't they do some others? I find myself fondly remembering those nights playing in that city, and wouldn't mind doing it again with another title, if it's actually well made.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Redundant perhaps, but it should be crystal clear by now that 2021 will be a very slow year for gaming, whether hardware or software.

Those lucky or affluent enough to have gotten a new gen console should consider themselves luckier still they have bc.