Batman Learns the Art of Interrogation for Arkham City

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Batman Learns the Art of Interrogation for Arkham City

It's not just about punching in Batman: Arkham City; it's about the punching and questioning.

The annoying thing about criminal thugs is that it can be hard to tell which ones you need to talk to and which ones you can safely punch into unconsciousness. That's not going to so much of a problem in Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JAVK/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285879473&sr=8-2] though, because Batman has gained the ability to spot a rat from fifty paces.

Arkham City's game director Sefton Hill said that the Riddler's challenges would be making a return from Arkham Asylum [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Playstation-3/dp/B001E8VB6O/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285858744&sr=8-1], but wouldn't rely on maps to show the location of the biggest secrets. Instead, the only way to get the information would be to squeeze it out of one of the Riddler's henchmen using the new interrogation mode.

You won't be able to put the pressure on any old goon though, as only specific enemies have any useful knowledge. Batman's detective mode will be able to detect which foes will talk, but you won't be able to get anything out of them while their friends are still conscious. Hill said that it added an extra element to the game's combat system, as rather than pounding anything that moves, you had to be careful to leave the informant standing.

Presumably, the Riddler's puzzles will be extras, just as in the first game, so you're not going to hit a brick wall if you accidentally knock out an enemy who had information. I'd be surprised though, if there wasn't at least one instance of interrogation in the game's main plot. After all, dangling people from buildings until they tell you what you need to know is a very Batman-y thing to do.

Batman: Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0F5M8/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285858695&sr=8-1] is scheduled for release in next Fall.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266852]

EmbraAgain

Jun 28, 2010
Hmmm... Looking forward to reading the media fuss on that one. "Batman game is torture simulator - 'Ban this sick filth' rages opportunistic has-been politician."

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
awe its gonna ruin my combo chains if i have to watch out who i don't have to punchout! XD

I'll probably do that on the second play through :D

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
sweet! can i ask irrelevant questions just to confuse them?
"wheres joker?"
"but im poison ivys henchman"
"i know, im just asking where joker is"

tgr

Feb 3, 2008
7moreDead said:
Is Mr Wayne trying to be like Mr Castle?
So it seems. But I don't think he will be threatening to stuff people into wood chippers, like Frank. Wuss :)

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Oh, the childhood memories of Batman dangling thugs off of the top of Skyscrapers. Good times. Good times.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, aslong as it's "punch first, ask questions later" I'm fine with it.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I did an article for paranerds that compared Batman Begins (game) with Arkham Asylum. The point of the article was to explain why Arkham Asylum succeeded whered Begins failed. So I find it funny that a feature in Batman Begins (interrogations) will also be in Arkham City. I hope Arkham city does it better than Begins did.

Brainplant

Jun 7, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
After all, dangling people from buildings until they tell you what you need to know is a very Batman-y thing to do.
Mind you, you'd think that any henchmen would have figured out by now that Batman never actually kills anyone.

Maybe Batman's got a deranged brother no-one knows about, and it all becomes 'Good Bat, Bad Bat'.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
7moreDead said:
Is Mr Wayne trying to be like Mr Castle?
No, he's always been like this. In Justice League at one point they traveled to the future (a bit after Batman Beyond, Old Bruce was REALLY old) and Batman was interrogating a thug by hanging him off of a building. Future/Old Bruce's response? Calling him an amateur and then doing something we don't get to even see that has the thug spilling instantly.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
sweet! can i ask irrelevant questions just to confuse them?
"Who's your daddy?"
"Um...what?"
"WHO'S YOUR FUCKING DADDY, *****?!"
"Batman! Batman is my daddy!"
"You daaaaaamn right."

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Brainplant said:
Logan Westbrook said:
After all, dangling people from buildings until they tell you what you need to know is a very Batman-y thing to do.
Mind you, you'd think that any henchmen would have figured out by now that Batman never actually kills anyone.

Maybe Batman's got a deranged brother no-one knows about, and it all becomes 'Good Bat, Bad Bat'.
Or, perhaps they know he won't KILL you, he'll leave you in a pile of broken bones or in a coma however.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
HG131 said:
Or, perhaps they know he won't KILL you, he'll leave you in a pile of broken bones or in a coma however.
I think the Bush regime could have had a much easier time about Guantanemo Bay if they'd simply said "Yes, we're torturing people. You know who else tortures people? The goddamn Batman, that's who! Are you saying you have a problem with Batman?"

I mean, who the hell is going to argue with that?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
HG131 said:
I think the Bush regime could have had a much easier time about Guantanemo Bay if they'd simply said "Yes, we're torturing people. You know who else tortures people? The goddamn Batman, that's who! Are you saying you have a problem with Batman?"

I mean, who the hell is going to argue with that?
You know, you might be on to something with that.