Batman Sells Really Well

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Onmi said:
Batman sells really well
No shit.

Seriously though after Forever almost killed the franchise and killed the movie franchise until begins this was SURPRISING.

huh? how did batman forever kill the franchise? they made thaat clooney crapfest before it died

goober1988

Apr 16, 2009
Arkham Asylum doesnt have to do with the movie, it is based off the comic book. If it was based off the movie in any way (other than the fact that its a batman game) it would probably suck just like any other movie based game. I bought this game two days after it came out, and it deserves the hype. :)

Rehtul

Apr 15, 2009
Batman Arkham Asylum is suprisingly not based on the comics or the Dark Knight movie. But is rather based on the animated series [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Animated_Series] (not Batman Beyond, which aired later). If you'll take care to read who wrote the plot and script, you'll notice it was by the masterful Paul Dini [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dini]. Voicing the Joker was done by the ever-popular Mark Hamil, and Kevin Conroy voices the Batman once again. The plot draws heavily on the comics, and is untainted by the Tim Burton and Joe Schumacher movies, not to mention the incredibly camp 50s television series.

Batman is the definition of a Badass Unpowered [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassNormal], and the gameplay reflects this, instead of going to the superpowered Tim Burton's version where he can take a bullet and run off, or to the weakling that is Adam West (shark repellant, anyone?).

Rocksteady and Eidos have done an excellent job at giving us a good game, and I am supremely thankful that Eidos gave the Batman the time for Rocksteady to give him the love he deserves. Because it really, really shows. An excellent game, and and hopefully we'll see some kick-ass DLC coming out for it in the near future.

For those who haven't seen Batman's famous line:

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
theultimateend said:
If it weren't for all your asshole pirates this game would have sold and the company wouldn't have gone bankrupt.

Wait...did someone say this game sold? Is it because they made a quality game that was actually worth the cost?

Holy shit...I think we are on to something here. If you make a game that is worth the price you tag it people will buy it.

This is utterly groundbreaking.
Not only that, but the pirates got a fucked up copy.

8-Bit_Jack said:
Onmi said:
Batman sells really well
No shit.

Seriously though after Forever almost killed the franchise and killed the movie franchise until begins this was SURPRISING.

huh? how did batman forever kill the franchise? they made thaat clooney crapfest before it died
Batman Forever(Kilmer) came before Batman & Robin(Clooney).

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
nilcypher said:
Batman Sells Really Well

Given the mauling that the typical rush-released tie-in game gets from critics, it's such a relief to see that at least one developer has finally learnt that faster isn't always better and seeing how well gamers have responded, maybe other developers will learn the lesson too.

Well said.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's because he's freaking BATMAN. Honestly though, I'm not surprised. Even my under-a-rock mother has seen Batman Begins and wants to see The Dark Knight (she's tried to see it a couple times, but the show was... you guessed it, sold out both times).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
theultimateend said:
If it weren't for all your asshole pirates this game would have sold and the company wouldn't have gone bankrupt.

Wait...did someone say this game sold? Is it because they made a quality game that was actually worth the cost?

Holy shit...I think we are on to something here. If you make a game that is worth the price you tag it people will buy it.

The epic DRM also helped...

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
I wish games journalists would stop mentioning the stupid Guinness record for "most critically acclaimed game" like it means something. It's marketing.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Rehtul said:
the weakling that is Adam West (shark repellant, anyone?).
You realise West and Burt Ward were taking the piss right? And it worked, that show is hilarious.

Although Commissioner Gordon is probably the stand out.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
theultimateend said:

Except for the fact that the game doesn't even come out on PC until tomorrow, despite the fact that a pirated version (with the glide glitch DRM removed) has been out for at least ten days.

All of these sales have been on the consoles, which are well-known for having substantially lower pirate rates than the PC. You honestly cannot say that piracy is a nonissue, even for extremely well-made games. Let's wait and see how high the PC sales are after two weeks before we make any claims about piracy eh? (Hint: they'll be lower than 2 million).

That said, I do think that SecuROM and other such DRM is retarded in the worst way possible because it hurts paying costumers. Developers most definitely have the right to (and should) defend themselves from pirates, they just need to come up with a different method.

sneakypenguin said:
Geez, I played the demo and it drove me nuts. Bad guys body parts going though his cape/body parts, combat out of spiderman 2, and generic indoor environment, plus some tacked on pseudo stealth. I guess it has its' fans though. To each their own...
Honestly, the demo did not do it justice, it turned me off the game more than making me want it, but I eventually got it and loved it. I would suggest a rent, just to see what the final product is like.

More OT: Can't wait for the sequel! (Now that it's proven it sells well xP )

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Maybe other companies will realise that not making a crappy rushed cash movie tie in will actually sell more and make them more money.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Onmi said:
I mistook Forever for Batman and Robin. My brain is sorta this warm fuzzy blob right now.
Shame on you.

"Forever" had Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones.

"And Robin" had Bat Credit Cards, Bat Nipples and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
So I guess that means Eidos has lost somewhere around 10 billion dollars on this game (you know, piracy being around the 90% mark and all).

/sarcasm, just in case someone took it literally.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
sheic99 said:
theultimateend said:

Not only that, but the pirates got a fucked up copy.
Yeah, the 'gimpy Batman' pseudo-DRM helped too, I'd imagine :)

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i hate this, a hot new game that gets discussed the crap out of it and im still waiting over here in Europe like a tool waiting for the pc release, good news everybody! have you heard resident evil 5 and red faction guerrilla is coming out soon!?!?!.

also im still waiting to try halo 3 on the pc.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
swaki said:
i hate this, a hot new game that gets discussed the crap out of it and im still waiting over here in Europe like a tool waiting for the pc release, good news everybody! have you heard resident evil 5 and red faction guerrilla is coming out soon!?!?!.

also im still waiting to try halo 3 on the pc.
Blame pirates.

Kilaknux

Jun 16, 2009
JediMB said:
Onmi said:
I mistook Forever for Batman and Robin. My brain is sorta this warm fuzzy blob right now.
Shame on you.

"Forever" had Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones.

"And Robin" had Bat Credit Cards, Bat Nipples and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Hey, hey, hey! I will conceed that the film was horrible, but Schwarzenegger was the only thing that got me through that film. It's pretty clear that he never took the film seriously, and with the right mindset, he's hilarious.