Batman - The Telltale Series Launching Digitally in August, in Stores in September

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Batman - The Telltale Series Launching Digitally in August, in Stores in September

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1336/1336539.jpgTelltale's Batman game is launching its first episode in August, with physical copies coming a month later.

The newest game coming from Telltale is their episodic Batman adventure game. Slated to include a "Very upgraded" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166918-Batman-Telltale-Game-Upgrades-Engine] version of the company's "Telltale Engine," the new title will feature Troy Baker as the Dark Knight.

There's a bevy of additional voice talent slated to appear, including Travis Willingham as Harvey Dent, Erin Yvette as Vicki Vale, Enn Reitel as Alfred Pennyworth, Murphy Guyer as Lieutenant James Gordon, Richard McGonagle as Carmine Falcone, and Laura Bailey as Selina Kyle. Telltale says that they'll be adding more characters as the season progresses.

Telltale showed off the title at E3 with a handful of new screenshots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167686-Telltales-Batman-Screenshots], but next month, you'll finally get to try out the first episode. While the first episode will only be available digitally in August, you'll be able to buy it in store on Sept. 13 thanks to a publishing deal with Warner Bros.

You can expect to see Batman - The Telltale Series on almost every device capable of running games, including PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and even mobile.

Nov 28, 2007
I am definitely excited to check this out. Telltale makes some pretty solid games, for the most part, and I look forward to seeing what they do when they don't feel constrained with canon stuff (The Walking Dead comics, Fables, and the Game of Thrones TV series).

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Having never played a Telltale game, I forget that these are generally episodic. Oh well, looks like another title that I'll wind up waiting for because dammit, I require a complete experience (a console on which to play this would be nice too but I'll get to that bridge eventually. )

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
Can't wait. So glad that Baker finally gets a shot at B-Man.
And Sully from Uncharted as Falcone!
Awesome, although I always pictured McGonagle as a would-be Oswald Cobblepot. Something about the natural swagger in his voice, I guess...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The world's greatest detective, hand-held through a quicktime event interactive novel. I don't care how good the story might be. You do not do that to the goddamn Batman.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Do...what? Actually give his character and story a proper focus instead of what sort of martial arts mary sue he is?
Arkham Asylum and City had excellent narratives. The action sequences were a means to give the player an actual role in the game beyond being a glorified observer.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Quicktime events are a problem for a Batman because?....
Quicktime events are the laziest possible method of user interaction (save for visual novels 'click to continue' approach). Batman (gameplay) is all about solving problems in new, interesting, and engaging methods on each different encounter or playthrough. With qte's, it's a linear sequence of events with no room for adaptation.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
008Zulu said:
Kibeth41 said:
Quicktime events are a problem for a Batman because?....
Quicktime events are the laziest possible method of user interaction (save for visual novels 'click to continue' approach). Batman (gameplay) is all about solving problems in new, interesting, and engaging methods on each different encounter or playthrough. With qte's, it's a linear sequence of events with no room for adaptation.
Cause it's so lazy to do extra animations for a qte, which might have options (Tri/Y button smashes their head to the ground while X/A snaps a leg for example) instead of reusing the regular combat animations that you've been staring at the past 1/2/3 dozen hours?
So what if YOU think qte's are lazy, they're effective at what they do, which is show you a moment that looks better than regular play while you press buttons, before you go back to pressing other buttons in regular game play.

Like the other person said, Batmans combat is so close to being just "qte's" but without the "e" because the fights are designed to be rhythmic. Just punch, punch, punch, counter, punch, punch, counter-counter, battarang, freezerang, punch, punch, punch, etc. Just cause the buttons are or aren't flashing on the screen doesn't automatically make something lazy.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Yeah, really looking forward to this. I also really hope Telltale will get their hands on a classic pulp hero, imagine a Telltale game about The Shadow or The Spider.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
"Joker will remember that"

Honestly I'm intrigued by a Batman game that presumably focuses more on the detective aspect of the character, but I wonder what kind of choices you can make considering how Batman is a pretty defined character who is locked into acting into certain ways.

Brewin

Jul 4, 2009
008Zulu said:
The world's greatest detective, hand-held through a quicktime event interactive novel. I don't care how good the story might be. You do not do that to the goddamn Batman.
Yeah, you must really hate those completely non-interactive comic books he originated from?how dare they

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Frankster said:
"Joker will remember that"

Honestly I'm intrigued by a Batman game that presumably focuses more on the detective aspect of the character, but I wonder what kind of choices you can make considering how Batman is a pretty defined character who is locked into acting into certain ways.
Batman's personality varies quite a bit, sometimes he's tough guy on the outside and a big ole' softy on the inside, sometimes he's a paranoid nut, sometimes he's a ruthless soldier, sometimes he's a Vulcan.

And that's just the comics.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
B-but he was Batman in Lego Batman 2 and 3 xD Do they not count?

Meanwhile, I'M flipping out over Travis Willingham as Harvey Dent. I'm SO excited to see and hear that shit.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Spider RedNight said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
B-but he was Batman in Lego Batman 2 and 3 xD Do they not count?

Meanwhile, I'M flipping out over Travis Willingham as Harvey Dent. I'm SO excited to see and hear that shit.
I simply wasn't aware of their existence.

That said, the best Lego Batman is still *this* Lego Batman: