Batman v. Superman Producer Thinks You're Hating On Affleck Too Much

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
As long as he doesn't put on a moronic voice and signpost every single aspect of the films symbolism with dialogue, he's already one hundred times better than Bale.

Seriously, if anyone has doubts about him, go watch The Town.

Also, why are we focusing so much on a film that isn't releasing until 2016? -_-

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
*shrugs*

honestly?

Ben seems like he'll be the best thing in the movie regardless of how well he pulls off Bruce Wyne
Honestly? You could cast Will Ferrell as Batman and there would still be worse things to worry about in the movie.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
It's true, why hate on Affleck when the movie has so many other things to hate? There's still time for them to reveal it will be a musical set in the mind of Joker during his most recent visit to Arkham. Although that actually sounds fun rather than the gritty grimdark affair we will most likely have paraded in front of us. Bruce Wayne is an orphan you know.
So true. Affleck is the last thing on my mind when I think of all the reasons this movie is going to be bad.

No, I'd have to say that I think it's stupid that both Batman and Wonder Woman are already active in this film. Especially when they could easily do a Wonder Woman movie and tie it to Man of Steel by saying the Amazons realized that the world needed heroes to defend it. Doesn't explain where they were either as I doubt either of them would ignore those events.

I think it's stupid that this movie will also include Cyborg and Doomsday in it. I seriously expect Doomsday to be this movie's Venom and be a complete waste.

The title is pure stupid.

They are rushing into a Justice League movie.

Basically, everything I hear about this movie makes me dread it. Affleck isn't even on the radar.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Affleck is the only factor in this movie I don't think will be shit, at least in comparison with everything else (Shame in the more quirky characters, second billing of superman, dumb name, too many new characters, trying to do what marvel did in three films, bad character design with Wonder woman by making her costume impractical, the color pallet for the costumes being bland and brown). Frankly, I support Affleck in the role of Batman working on the same principles Heath Ledger did good as the Joker after we all collectively shat on him.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
You know, everyone is worried about Green Lantern being in the Justice League movie.
I'm personally more worried about Steel [http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/9031-steel] being in there....

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Heh. I saw the original Batman movie in the cinema the summer before my senior year of high school. So YOU can get off MY lawn!!!
*shakes cane with fervor*
Crap, I'm so used to out-aging most of the people on here. I feel...Dethroned!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
Honestly? You could cast Will Ferrell as Batman and there would still be worse things to worry about in the movie.
I disagree. Will Ferrell leaves a lasting taint that is hard to overcome. It's like getting sprayed by a skunk, except tomato juice is ineffective.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
People talk about Affleck having a limited range, but honestly? He can brood just fine. How much more range does he need to play Batman? A bit of anger? Lecturing? He'll be fine.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Apart from initially being surprised by the casting choice I haven't really had any problems with Affleck as Batman.
As for Downey Jr. I really liked him before he was cast and thought he would be great as Tony Stark purely based on personal bias.
With Heath Ledger I can't really remember, I think I was a bit apprehensive because of his previous work but nothing really beyond that. He certainly proved me wrong though.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
I've heard someone complain about Affleck's chin being wrong for Batman.

With complaints this petty, I don't recognise them at all. They're just stupid, honestly.
Yeah that's just silly, Affleck has an amazing Bat-chin

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ron1n said:
As long as he doesn't put on a moronic voice and signpost every single aspect of the films symbolism with dialogue, he's already one hundred times better than Bale.

Seriously, if anyone has doubts about him, go watch The Town.

Also, why are we focusing so much on a film that isn't releasing until 2016? -_-
Its DC's way of trying to stay relevant post Guardians launch. Also Winter Games Drought = slow news day.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Ben Affleck is way down on my list of worries for the film. With DC wanting to make everything dark, gritty, and more angst driven than a Goth convention I'm thinking Affleck might be the least depressing character in the film.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Wait, he was Batman since he was around 10 years old? Kid's got balls.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
My original comment on the casting was that Ben Affleck mostly seems to play Ben Affleck. Daredevil as Ben Affleck, Jack Ryan as Ben Affleck, Bartleby the Archangel as Ben Affleck. Fairly amiable, good-looking straight arrow. If he has a greater range than that, I've yet to see it.

I don't have any predisposition that Batman as Ben Affleck is going to ruin the franchise, but I'm not expecting a performance for the ages, either. Keaton always had a certain mania about him, and while I wouldn't have predicted Ledger being such a good Joker (though I wasn't anticipating a failure, either), he had at least shown some range by the time he was cast in the part.

He's a good director. Perhaps he's learned a thing or two that I just haven't gotten a chance to see. I'm certainly not calling for his head, or screaming that the franchise is ruined forever; I'm just not expecting much. Uslan may have a point, but then again, I wouldn't exactly be expecting him to run down one of the movie's leads in his position. Would you?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Keaton: Too young to know, thought he did a fine job.

Heath: Skeptical as hell, especially since I'm a huge fan of Jack Nicholson, but Heath absolutely blew him out of the water.

Downey Jr: Didnt think much of it, especially since I dont have any particular relationship with Iron Man, tought it was 100% win when I watched Iron Man.

Affleck: Think it is the wrong choice. Not because I dont like Affleck (I do), I just dont think he will fit the role. Maybe it has something to do with his voice, maybe his face...I just think its a bad choice, but we'll see.

Honestly I dont care much as long as they get Wonder Woman right.

Michael Legault said:
Personally think Michael Keaton would've made a better joker than batman, and Jack Nicholson would've been way better as two-face. For proof of Michael Keaton as joker, just re-watch Beetlejuice. I always had a hard time believing it was him in that role. And Jack Nicholson is so good at calm calculating and psycopathic outbursts.
Very good call! I never though about Jack/Two-face, but that is an excellent point! Go get a job in casting :eek:

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
My reaction to the Affleck casting was more one of bemused surprise, because I thought he was past the days of having to take on really cheesy blockbuster roles for cash.

By the same token, I hope once this series is done Henry Cavill gets a chance to make a good movie. He seems intelligent and focused enough.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I was pro-Ledger. He'd showed a decent range up until then, from goofy comedies to drama. Given what we know now, I probably undersold him, but still.

Most of us were too young to have a major opinion on Keaton, or not even born. Children, all of you! Get off my lawn!
Heh. I saw the original Batman movie in the cinema the summer before my senior year of high school. So YOU can get off MY lawn!!!
Really? You saw the 1966 film starring Adam West and Burt Ward when it first came out? That sounds like an awesome experience!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I honestly think he can pull it off, and the hate stems from his being typecast as roles that are more like him. His work in The Town was stellar and very off-character for his normal roles. He can do well when not typecast nor given a horrible script (I still contend he was a good Daredevil, the movie was just crap).
Also people need to stop judging people because they don't "fit the look". Thats all subjective bullshit. Heath Ledger was a pretty-boy, which didn't fit with the "look" of the Joker, yet he definitely looked the part anyway and defied expectations so much that it is damn hard to top what he did with the role.
Affleck can be a good Batman, and having a bit of objectivity can't hurt. But I'm a minority when it comes to these things, and I'm actually more worried he would be panned because the movie itself doesn't pass muster. Blamed again for ruining the movie when it was more than likely the movie itself that was bad.
BTW, Kevin Conroy has been the default voice of Batman and everyone expects anyone in the role to sound like him, which is so unfair its borderline insane. Batman is a comic book first, and it doesn't have voice acting, so essentially no one knows what Bats actually sounds like...
Ugh... negativity, the internet nerd's default setting. It just proves my point that so many gamers and nerds of any walk will never be satisfied with anything because of preconceived notions and an overblown sense of holier-than-thou.
Give the dude a chance, and if he doesn't work out, feel free to glad-hand and slap yourselves on the back of being right. But honestly the negativity that pervades this community is sad in that it seems most are incapable of enjoying anything or being any form of objective.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
uncanny474 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I was pro-Ledger. He'd showed a decent range up until then, from goofy comedies to drama. Given what we know now, I probably undersold him, but still.

Most of us were too young to have a major opinion on Keaton, or not even born. Children, all of you! Get off my lawn!
Really? You saw the 1966 film starring Adam West and Burt Ward when it first came out? That sounds like an awesome experience!
If only my utility belt had a can of Bat-Anti-Smartass spray. :p

But yeah, I was referring to Burton's Batman, not the Adam West version.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
The casting is actually the area I'm least concerned about in this film. I never got the hate for Ben Affleck and it's not as if he was that bad in Daredevil.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
I don't care about Ben Affleck, but I do care that Zack Snyder is involve in making the movie. Watchmen and Man of Steel are like the worst comic adaptations that I've ever seen and I just feel regret watching those abominations. Don't know why people defending them in some way. 300 is the only movie that I like from him and that's it.