Batman v Superman Writer Called Out For Sexist She-Hulk Shaming

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
90sgamer said:
If you can't tell whether I'm serious or not then I have some bad news for you about your reading comprehension.
Or the absurdity of providing a definition that is pretty much the context given and then asking for evidence is aburd to the point it looks like parody.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Maybe there's an angle to She-Hulk I'm missing, but when you have two different genders of more or less the same character, with the male looking like a fugly caveman and the female being all tall, green, and sexy, these remarks don't seem that unfounded.

The way he expressed it leaves a lot be desired from a professional, but I can't say I'm too upset over She-Hulk getting shamed.
Call it a "double-standard," "damned if you do," "catch-22," or whatever, but there's a reason Power Girl, Super Girl, Ms Marvel et all are "sexy" femme fatales, as opposed to

It's because they "have to be," unless "not being sexy" is a part of the point of the character. Marvel's "Madame Web" comes to mind. They have to be "sexy," even when their male counterpart is not. If there were a female version of Solomon Grundy (is there?), she'd be a femme fatale, "bride of frankenstein" type. Or an ugly duckling.

EDIT: Also, how often do we have a female equivalent of "grotesque" mail characters like Strong Guy, Ben Grimm, Swamp Thing, Lobo, MODOK or Two Face? I don't think singling out She-Hulk as "some chick for Hulk to fuck/nerd fantasy" is fair, when the same argument can be made about nearly every female character being nerd eye candy.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Vault101 said:
zelda2fanboy said:
Yeah, and he didn't say that. You did.
youre not supposed to take that at face value, I was making a point

[quote/]He said that she looks kind of like Chyna (she does) and that [b/]she seems to exist to be a love interest for the Hulk [/b](which at a first glance, she does).
yeah and I could have said that I REALLY meant "Batwoman should not rule out the possibility of being with a guy" when I said she was a "dumb dyke who needed a real man" but we both know whats in between the lines

my point is your glossing over his use of words....

[quote/]And while I don't use words like "slut" (because I don't judge women for having sex), a lot of people do and it doesn't have always all the negative connotations a slur for a smaller minority group might have.
t.[/quote]

the ONLY times I can think of that "slut" doesn't have negative connotations (and I say that very lightly) is if a girl is joking around with her freind where their both on familiar enough terms, or when used as a bit of creative dirty talk in the bedroom

this was neither of those times[/quote]

Yet in your making a point, you used a slur for a lesbian. Try replacing that with a slur for a black person and see if the moderators also see your point. Better yet, make that point out loud in a busy public place. I imagine you'll find a few people having difficulty seeing your side of the issue. And thanks for clarifying the appropriate places to use the word "slut." They kind of sound like situations where you might think it's okay to use it yourself. In other words, if you say it, then it's fine. If other people (who are not you or are people you don't like) use words you don't want them to use, then it's not okay. Really, everyone should consult with Vault101 before going on a podcast.

Better yet, try to diminish your conversation to the driest most basic language possible and don't attempt to use humor in any context. If you say something the internet might take out of context, then you will be deemed a "bad person" because bad people are bad and it makes us all feel better about ourselves when we point it out over and over again. Just like when were 8 years old and we heard the teacher cursing.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Yet in your making a point, you used a slur for a lesbian.Try replacing that with a slur for a black person and see if the moderators also see your point. Better yet, make that point out loud in a busy public place. I imagine you'll find a few people having difficulty seeing your side of the issue.
ok I'll explain this again

you said [i/]"he only meant x"[/i] my point was you glossed over the real issue...casual use of the word slut, to illustrate this I used an exagerated example, mabye it would have been more tasteful if I censord the D word, but I was going for effect

mabye you thourght we were doing the same thing,but to me didn't look like he was usuing the word "slut" in a subversive way to make a point, he was just using it...as is, to describe a charachter he thourght of as sexual, I could be wrong but thats how I read it first time around

[quote/]And thanks for clarifying the appropriate places to use the word "slut." They kind of sound like situations where you might think it's okay to use it yourself. In other words, if you say it, then it's fine. If other people (who are not you or are people you don't like) use words you don't want them to use, then it's not okay. Really, everyone should consult with Vault101 before going on a podcast.[/quote]

I never friggen ordained meself as the authority here...as I said I found HIS use of the word offensive because he was usuing it straight up like it was a legitimate description of She-hulk....unless I'm wrong about that

[quote/]Better yet, try to diminish your conversation to the driest most basic language possible and don't attempt to use humor in any context. If you say something the internet might take out of context, then you will be deemed a "bad person" because bad people are bad and it makes us all feel better about ourselves when we point it out over and over again. Just like when were 8 years old and we heard the teacher cursing.[/quote]

hey YOUR the one who inssited on taking my lesbian example out of context, now if I took his use of the word slut of of context FINE, but thats just how I read it

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
tdylan said:
Casual Shinji said:
Maybe there's an angle to She-Hulk I'm missing, but when you have two different genders of more or less the same character, with the male looking like a fugly caveman and the female being all tall, green, and sexy, these remarks don't seem that unfounded.

The way he expressed it leaves a lot be desired from a professional, but I can't say I'm too upset over She-Hulk getting shamed.
Call it a "double-standard," "damned if you do," "catch-22," or whatever, but there's a reason Power Girl, Super Girl, Ms Marvel et all are "sexy" femme fatales, as opposed to

It's because they "have to be," unless "not being sexy" is a part of the point of the character. Marvel's "Madame Web" comes to mind. They have to be "sexy," even when their male counterpart is not. If there were a female version of Solomon Grundy (is there?), she'd be a femme fatale, "bride of frankenstein" type. Or an ugly duckling.

EDIT: Also, how often do we have a female equivalent of "grotesque" mail characters like Strong Guy, Ben Grimm, Swamp Thing, Lobo, MODOK or Two Face? I don't think singling out She-Hulk as "some chick for Hulk to fuck/nerd fantasy" is fair, when the same argument can be made about nearly every female character being nerd eye candy.
There *is* a female version of MODOK. It's/her name was SODAM (later retconned to MODAM): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MODAM