Batman: Year One Gets Animated

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Batman: Year One Gets Animated

[mtv=670647]​

Frank Miller's classic series is getting the animation treatment, and the early trailer looks pretty darn impressive.

When the Bruce Timm DC Animated Universe came to an end a few years ago, the subsequent DC animated films were pretty hit-or-miss for a while (a particularly big miss was Superman: Doomsday back in 2007). Recently, though, the animated releases have been surprisingly great, and it looks like the trend is going to continue thanks to the new Batman: Year One.

The new animated feature is based on <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Year-One-Frank-Miller/dp/1401207529/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310144718&sr=8-1>the acclaimed graphic novel by Frank Miller, which details the origins and first year of Batman's operations in Gotham. That means this film covers the Dark Knight's early mistakes and problematic relationship with the city's police department. The comic helped establish the tone for Batman that still exists (as a darker, more driven character), and is considered by many to be the greatest Batman title to be printed.

If you pick up a copy of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-Emerald-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B004QOB8PW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310146790&sr=8-2>Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, there's a sneak peak of the film that reveals how the people involved with it (including Bruce Timm himself) are treating the adaptation as faithfully as they can. The visual style seems more faithful to Timm's clean style, though many of the shots in the trailer are pretty faithfully taken straight from Miller's comic panels.

On top of all this, the voice cast is pretty impressive: Eliza Dushku is going to be Catwoman, Bryan Cranston will play Jim Gordon, and Ben McKenzie will be Batman himself. Currently the movie is listed as coming out on October 18th, but it's not available for pre-order yet.

Source: Screen Rant

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
Before watching anything, I'd like to say, "NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It was perfectly fine before. There is no need to change this, especially when it'd be this hard to translate."

edit: Okay, maybe it won't be terrible. Still not sold though.

ThePeaceFrog

Oct 18, 2008
Not a fan of the animation style, artistically very weak compared to the original work and I still don't understand any reason someone would want to watch it rather than read the original.

Aug 25, 2009
Looks good, and I loved the Timm-verse.

I nominate that they do Long Halloween and Dark Victory next. A nice little trilogy that wraps up with Dick becoming Robin.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
vansau said:
If you pick up a copy of Green Lantern: Emerald Nights[/em]
You forgot the K in nights.

While DC film aren't great when it come to live action films (except for Batman) but the one thing they are good at is making animated films so I will be looking forward to this when it come out.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
So... I guess Kevin Conroy was busy?

I'm actually not very familiar with Frank Miller's Batman stuff, so I'll be watching this without nostalgia/fanboy goggles.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Sonicron said:
So... I guess Kevin Conroy was busy?

I'm actually not very familiar with Frank Miller's Batman stuff, so I'll be watching this without nostalgia/fanboy goggles.
Good. Most of Frank Miller's work is absolute garbage, not to mention that he's rather misguided in his general viewpoints.

That said, Batman: Year One, and to a lesser degree, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, are some of the most well-constructed pieces of Noir you will ever read. Also, Batman.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
YESYESYESYESYES!
Now do this for Frank Millers The Dark Night Returns and the next time you'll see me is a month later lying naked and sweaty on my bed... ahem...

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
The trailer was new but with regards to the movie I thought people had known about this for a couple of months now

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
I nominate that they do Long Halloween and Dark Victory next. A nice little trilogy that wraps up with Dick becoming Robin.
This ^^. Seriously, all you high profile Hollywood producers that frequent the Escapist (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) get on this!

Also; Bryan Cranston as Gordon? You have my attention.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This Batman voice is meh. I'd much prefer Kevin Conroy or Bruce Greenwood.

P.S. Thanks

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
ThePeaceFrog said:
Not a fan of the animation style, artistically very weak compared to the original work and I still don't understand any reason someone would want to watch it rather than read the original.
I'm excited by animation is my passion specifically 2d and knowing dc is both pushing 2d animation and giving good stories too I am quite happy

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Ryan from the OC as batman?!? wtf people...i get that he is younger here and maybe thats why but Conroy pulled off a year one Bruce in mask of the phantasm...

Dushku and Cranston are good choices tho

Kerob

Jul 4, 2011
zombie711 said:
If theres one thing DC can do better than Marvel, its cartoons.
Actually I'm quite looking forward to this new Batman movie... DC don't disappoint us. Anything is better than the Batman movie "Batman & Robin", in my opinion.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
Looks good, and I loved the Timm-verse.

I would say Batman Year 100, THEN the Long Halloween (seeing as a full-length animated JSA: The Liberty Files is out of the picture).

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Great with new Batman, this I say.
But..I understand that this is a young Batman, but still..That voice is just dead wrong for him.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I wasn't that excited for this movie. The original comic is brilliant but I think an adaption is unnessary, especially when we already have Batman Begins.

Then I saw the voice actors. [b/]Aaron Paul[/b] as Batman? [b/]Bryan Cranston[/b] as Gordon? You know what that means?

That's right. Batman and Gordon make meth.

EDIT...Wait. I swore it was Aaron Paul when I first read about this...

...Right, whatever, Cranston as Gordon is just a great choice.