Battlefield 1 Revealed in Launch Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Battlefield 1 Revealed in Launch Trailer

EA has officially revealed Battlefield 1 - the latest installment of the Battlefield franchise.

So it looks like those Battlefield 1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167369-Leaks-Reveal-Battlefield-1-as-World-War-I-Shooter]. As the odd name may suggest (no, it's not an Xbox One exclusive), this time, we are heading all the way back to World War 1 - a setting that few shooters have tackled in the past. Check out the action in the launch trailer to the right.

Battlefield 1 will feature all of those WW1 goodies, including horses, tanks, motorcycles and biplanes, as well as the war's infamous trench-warfare. It will of course feature era-appropriate weapons, including early-20th-century guns, grenades, poisonous gases, flamethrowers and a variety of melee weapons such as shovels and maces.

[gallery=6222]

It will feature the same 64-player multiplayer battles that series veterans expect, as well as featuring a singleplayer campaign that will allow players to experience "global conflict through the eyes of several different characters all united by this first modern war."

The game will launch on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One on Oct. 21, 2016, worldwide and will come in three flavors: a standard edition for $59.99, an Early Enlister Deluxe Edition for $79.99, and a collector's edition for $219.99. The "Early Enlister" edition comes with the standard early access perks, as well as some extra downloadable goodies, while the collector's edition comes with everything you see here:

Source: EA Games [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ]

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Huh. Well, that's a somewhat difficult time period to build a Battlefield game around, at least if they're staying vaguely close to the real thing (which I'm not convinced they'll do from what I've seen in the trailer). But at least it's a fairly fresh ground. It'll at least be interesting to see what they can come up with. I haven't played any BF games since 3, so I might be tempted to buy one again, if it actually looks and feels like a new game.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
What happened to the good old BF 1942 main theme?

That edgy and cool version of Seven Nation Army kinda killed the trailer for me. :(

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
bificommander said:
I haven't played any BF games since 3, so I might be tempted to buy one again, if it actually looks and feels like a new game.
Right? Haven't stuff like this in a long time.

OT: I give major kudos to DICE for even considering this, and a grudging nod to EA for allowing them to do this. I just studied up on WWI, and I am pretty excited to see how they deal with the trench warfare problem. And hey, we could actually get a non-shit campaign!

Man, I'm actually really excited.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
The boner is so strong with this one I might consider buying an EA game again.
Imre Csete said:
DICE forgot it exists.
That edgy and cool version of Seven Nation Army kinda killed the trailer for me. :(
Heresy! But that might be because I've been a fan of The Glitch Mob's version long before the trailer.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Imre Csete said:

I actually thought of that too, I didn't quite like the music and I'm not too picky.

But I'm sure in the actual game we'll have the classic Battlefield theme back.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I am not a fan. I know it's only fiction, but The Great War is a sticking point for me, and the trailer's glorification of "epic" battles makes me really uncomfortable on a moral standpoint. By all means, make your game, but I really don't feel comfortable with any of this.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
This isn't april fools day EA cut it out!.. Oh god they're serious.

Well there goes my hopes of a proper AAA World War One game ever happening. EA killed the possibility by making a battlefield skin of it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
The tonal dissonance is strong with this one. A serious question though, for anyone who has reputable knowledge, how many, if any (I luv commas) African men distinguished themselves during the "great war" and in what theater? Interior crocodile alligator, I drive a Chevrolet movie the'ator, oh God. What thirty hours of wakefulness will do with your inhibitions.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Why is it I get the feeling that it's going to feel like the same battlefield game with a new coat of paint?

Also, am I the only one a little tired of everything being treated like an action blockbuster? It's the First World War. Make it fucking gritty, dirty and brutal. Show us hundreds of men dying in a pointless charge and choking to death on gas.

No, fuck that, we need more action movie shlock.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Saulkar said:
The tonal dissonance is strong with this one. A serious question though, for anyone who has reputable knowledge, how many, if any (I luv commas) African men distinguished themselves during the "great war" and in what theater?
The French did recruit troops from their African colonies and they did see action against the Germans on the Western Front. The Germans themselves largely used African colonial troops for General Paul von Lettow-Vorbek's campaign of causing a nuisance for the British in East Africa that lasted the entire war. If you're talking African-American, then you'd have a much harder time finding one, the only one I can think of is a pilot that flew with the Lafayette Escadrille, as squadron made up of Americans that flew for the French Air Force before the USA officially entered the war in 1917.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Two things.

1) So it looks promising--for a pure CGI trailer with perhaps a few seconds of gameplay. But! I'm still interested. I wonder if they're going to make melee are real part of this, because yeah, once you got into an enemy trench, things got very up close and personal. I will have to keep my eye on this for sure.

2) Is the statue guy black? I can't really tell if it's the lighting or what, but if he's really black, that is pretty cool.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Supernova1138 said:
Saulkar said:
The tonal dissonance is strong with this one. A serious question though, for anyone who has reputable knowledge, how many, if any (I luv commas) African men distinguished themselves during the "great war" and in what theater?
The French did recruit troops from their African colonies and they did see action against the Germans on the Western Front. The Germans themselves largely used African colonial troops for General Paul von Lettow-Vorbek's campaign of causing a nuisance for the British in East Africa that lasted the entire war. If you're talking African-American, then you'd have a much harder time finding one, the only one I can think of is a pilot that flew with the Lafayette Escadrille, as squadron made up of Americans that flew for the French Air Force before the USA officially entered the war in 1917.
Ah, some good information in there. I am actually surprised by das Germans using African soldiers back then, it just never crossed my mind. Were they recruited via normal means, paid, treated respectfully, etc?

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Saulkar said:
Supernova1138 said:
Saulkar said:
Ah, some good information in there. I am actually surprised by das Germans using African soldiers back then, it just never crossed my mind. Were they recruited via normal means, paid, treated respectfully, etc?
From my understanding the Germans treated the soldiers they recruited relatively well eg. they were paid and didn't get horribly abused, the local civilians that they press ganged into running their logistics train in East Africa (carrying the army's supplies around) on the other hand, not so much, they weren't paid and suffered pretty heavy casualties due to exhaustion and not getting enough food and water.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Um, guys?

I just felt interested and intrigued by a Battlefield game for the first time in six years or so.

Should I see a doctor?

Trailer was a bit... frenetic though. Calm down with the scene switches guys.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
bificommander said:
Huh. Well, that's a somewhat difficult time period to build a Battlefield game around, at least if they're staying vaguely close to the real thing (which I'm not convinced they'll do from what I've seen in the trailer).
What makes you say that? Battlefield 1942 had more variety in it by far than any other Battlefield game, and all the elements that made 1942 great were also around in WW1.

Plus Zeppelins. So y'know... there's that too.

Zhukov said:
Um, guys?

I just felt interested and intrigued by a Battlefield game for the first time in six years or so.

Should I see a doctor?

Trailer was a bit... frenetic though. Calm down with the scene switches guys.
Same way I felt. Except in my case it's more like eleven years.

Still, if it's half as fun as Codename Eagle was, we're in for a treat.

Codename Eagle being -as everybody should know- the title that the Battlefield team made before the first Battlefield game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I guess in the showdown of MMS games this week, Call of Duty promised infinite warfare, but Battlefield "1."

(Disclaimer that this isn't my own joke, nor do I necessarily agree, but god damn it needs more attention. Puns FTW!)

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Can I finally play on the German side without being too much of an asshole? Trailer looks juicy.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Nice to see some of the more dynamic parts of the war getting coverage. Arabia, the Eastern Front, maybe Turkey. Not everything was trench warfare and stalemates, and those trench battles were often a lot more dynamic than is commonly depicted in media.

Unfortunately, we have ingrained in our collective mind that every battle of WW1 was a bunch of people charging over a trench, getting immediately killed, and then the other side repeating it until tanks were invented. There was a lot more to the war, in urban warfare and cavalry charges and beach assaults and fairly fluid modern warfare in some areas. Those Trench battles weren't always immediately slaughter either. Often, they penetrated the first few trenches and entered hand to hand combat before a counterattack pushed the assault back. It's the Lions led by Donkeys thing. Not true, but it makes a good story.

Now, obviously it's fucking Battlefield and everything will become a Hollywood movie in game form, but this may do a lot to combat a lot of misconceptions that many people have if only by exposing people to the other parts of the war.