BattleField 3 Caspien Border gameplay

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tsaba said:
EDIT: and a bomb disposing robot, oh how did I forget you.
I prefer to think of it as miniature cartillery.

Seriously, every one of those things you see is going to have five or six blocks of C4 strapped to it. Tank drivers are going to fear those things.

Irridium said:
I haven't seen commanders ignored much. If you followed a commander's orders,
I'll bet the commander will arrive in an early update.

Either that, or it will run a BC 2 style system where squad members can give each other orders and get bonuses based on that. I always ignored the commander in Bf2 anyway, sure broad strokes commands like 'attack there' get followed, but specific ones tend to go against the flow of play too much.

I would like to see a Quake Wars system used, where the commander is automated and players get objectives that vary depending on class.
It's a shame Quake Wars got forgotten so quickly, it was amazing to be playing as a sniper and get the objective pop up to cover the demolition trooper, who's objective is to destroy a Strogg walker that's attacking the assault player and medic, who were attacking the control point before they were rudely interrupted. The orders and objective may have been computer generated, but it gave battles such a great level of focus, you were never without something specific to do to help your team.

SuperGauntlet

Jun 26, 2011
I'm sad they're pulling so many shenanigans with Origin, though, because if they weren't, I'd preorder in an instant.

Why do they have to pull this kind of bullshit?

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
you mean the good ol' days of special ops class slapping c4 all over the humvee or dune buggy then ram it into what ever armored vehicle you could find?
you mean that lovely tactic?

Rienimportant

Jan 12, 2010
Dis makea me happy.

But really though, I am looking forward to this game so much it's making me stupid.
I never could get the knack of flying, but I always loved having them on my team or just in the game when I played BF2.

About all the commander stuff though, it is a bit of a disappointment. They could be a pain in the ass sometimes when I was in the middle of a firefight and I get an order to abandon what I was doing and go to the other end of the map, but usually they were a great way to actually coordinate what was going on in a full game.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
It says the gameplay footage is based on alpha software, so the actual game may not look quite like this. It may be worse, it may be better.

All I have to say is that I am so fucking pissed right now that my computer is ancient and, while I have the money to upgrade to a better rig, that money is being saved for better purposes.

God dammit! D-':<

Apr 28, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Tsaba said:
EDIT: and a bomb disposing robot, oh how did I forget you.
I prefer to think of it as miniature cartillery.

Seriously, every one of those things you see is going to have five or six blocks of C4 strapped to it. Tank drivers are going to fear those things.

Irridium said:
I haven't seen commanders ignored much. If you followed a commander's orders,
I'll bet the commander will arrive in an early update.

Either that, or it will run a BC 2 style system where squad members can give each other orders and get bonuses based on that. I always ignored the commander in Bf2 anyway, sure broad strokes commands like 'attack there' get followed, but specific ones tend to go against the flow of play too much.

I would like to see a Quake Wars system used, where the commander is automated and players get objectives that vary depending on class.
It's a shame Quake Wars got forgotten so quickly, it was amazing to be playing as a sniper and get the objective pop up to cover the demolition trooper, who's objective is to destroy a Strogg walker that's attacking the assault player and medic, who were attacking the control point before they were rudely interrupted. The orders and objective may have been computer generated, but it gave battles such a great level of focus, you were never without something specific to do to help your team.
Holy crap I can't believe I forgot about Quake Wars. That game was great in that department. I remember playing as an engineer, and had to keep a tank in full-repair while it assaulted a barrier that was preventing the rest of the team from advancing. Damn it was amazing.

Yeah, I'd settle for a Quake Wars-esque command system. That'd be fantastic. Would also be perfect for consoles, since for some reason they limit you to only being able to talk to your squad of about 4 players, leaving you essentially cut-off from the rest of the team.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
The Virgo said:
It says the gameplay footage is based on alpha software, so the actual game may not look quite like this. It may be worse, it may be better.

All I have to say is that I am so fucking pissed right now that my computer is ancient and, while I have the money to upgrade to a better rig, that money is being saved for better purposes.

What better purpose is there other than world domination and battlefield 3?

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Just looked at the minimum requirement ... WINDOWS 7 OR VISTA ONLY?! FUCK!

I know a computer wiz (really, this dude is a genius when it comes to that stuff) that was telling me that when I build my new computer I should use Windows XP 64-bit because it's a much better OS than either Vista or 7. Well, I guess since this game will only use them, I guess I will have to choose the better of the two evils. Sigh. |-(

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
Gorilla Gunk said:
Tsaba said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
I wish I had a PC that could play this.

I mean, I could get the console version, but why would I want to play a game the developers intentionally gimped?
I wouldn't call that being gimped, they just broke it down to where you could play it on a console to the best of it's features. If they had gone the other route that most companies do, then the pc gets the short end of the stick, it would of gotten bent over, screwed, and then pushed out the door without so much as a reach around.

I'll just break it down this way, your getting the same game you would have, had it been made for consoles. It's just that they went the extra mile for PC this time around.
They didn't go the extra mile. They went exactly where they wanted to go and scaled the console version back so far it's basically CoD with vehicles. I mean, I can understand the graphics not being as great and even the 64 player count, but dialing that back to 24? And scaling the maps down? Are you fucking kidding me DICE? Console tech might not be the best but I think it could handle a little more than 24 players. I mean would a single digit over that just make the game absolutely unplayable? I'm starting to think this is another effect of the BF/CoD feud. CoD's rep with PC gamers isn't so hot so DICE, ever the classy one, swoops in and says "Hey we LOVE PC gamers unlike those twats over at Activision! To prove it, here's a bunch of shit almost an entire half of our other customers base won't ever get to see! Enjoy it!" Gimped.

Ugh, and I was really looking forward to this game too...
It's not DICE's fault it's the consoles fault. Normally they would have taken both console's AND PC's gameplay down so the experiences can be equal. Also PC gamers usually don't generate as much money so it's not profitable to go out of your way to please them.

I think they said "Hey The rigs people run now can handle large matches. instead or saying fuck them and cutting the player count down to 24 so the console players won't feel bad we would let them have large matches."

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Tsaba said:
The Virgo said:

What better purpose is there other than world domination and battlefield 3?
My career, so that I can afford to freely build the most bad-ass motherfucking computer ever and get all the games I've been missing out on without going broke by doing so. (Yeah, I haven't even upgraded to the XBOX 360 or PS3.)

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I'm really looking forward to this game.
I just hope they learned from BF2, which, though i really enjoyed it, seemed broken in so many maps by the imbaness of the airplanes, when a skilled pilot got in them.
You could hardly do shit about them, they just flew around, bomb running everything, totally anihhilating whatever they set their gaze upon, sortof like if they added arrow-resistant dragons in mount and blade.

I hope they make some better AA, or nerf the planes, they were the main reson why I, and many others stayed in infantry only maps, or maps without planes, which was just sad sometimes, cause it lacked the tanks.

Something as simple as a no aircrafts box along with the no vehicles in teh server settings would fix this, if asking for balancing is too much.

RaeveSpam

May 27, 2009
The Virgo said:

I know a computer wiz (really, this dude is a genius when it comes to that stuff) that was telling me that when I build my new computer I should use Windows XP 64-bit because it's a much better OS than either Vista or 7. Well, I guess since this game will only use them, I guess I will have to choose the better of the two evils. Sigh. |-(
I'll give you computer-wiz that Windows XP probably is the greatest OS, but NOT the 64bit version! It is bugriddled as hell, and you will have a hard time finding obscure fixes for your games just to make them run on it!
And actually Windows 7 is a great OS, maybe not as good as the XP was, but with more features and never technology, without Vista's crappy bugs and filler.

jSalamanca32

Jun 26, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
jSalamanca32 said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Irridium said:
I'm still wondering how they plan on co-ordinating teams. Since there's no Battlefield commander for whatever stupid reason, most matches will probably devolve into a bunch of players running about randomly without any direction. A commander stops that from happening, and essentially provides order.

I wonder how they'll do that now with no BF commander.

In Rush it might not matter much, since both teams have a set of objectives and it keeps things tight and focuses. But for conquest? Yeah, BC2 showed it's just people running around sporadically. With no direction it's just crap.
Well, like any reasonably popular game, it will mostly be filled by people who want to inflate their K/D. Therefore, most games, even ones with objectives will be more Team Deathmatch than anything else. An excellent example is any objective based game in Call of Duty or Halo. Try and actually do the objective, and get chewed out by a bunch of 12-year olds because you're breaking their spawn trap.

BF3 will NOT outsell MW3, if simply because the console versions play like MW3, without perks. The PC version will be amazing. But PC is only 1/3 the battle.
But its not going to play like MW3 without perks. BF has never kept track of K/D or when it did, it wasn't very prominent. Have you played BC2?
I think you mean BF2, and yeah I did. PC version great, console version not so much, and not a lick of teammwork to be found. I didn't have the luxury of 5 or 6 friends with the same game, so when I played, there were never any squads at all. It played very heavily like every other realistic shooter, like Battlefield 1942 or Call of Duty 3.
What do you mean there were never any squads? There was always an option to play with a squad. You don't need five or six friends. I always played with one-two friends and we did awesome with team work.

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
theonecookie said:
Well This does look nice and I hate to be the only one complaining but will somebody tell dice just this one little thing

Jets don't work like that they really don't I would not normally bring this up but it just looks silly as the rest of the game looks really good
It wouldn't be fun to fly across the the speed of sound and pass over the map every 10 seconds, then have a computer calculate where you put your bombs then fly back to base to get more.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
RaeveSpam said:
The Virgo said:

I'll give you computer-wiz that Windows XP probably is the greatest OS, but NOT the 64bit version! It is bugriddled as hell, and you will have a hard time finding obscure fixes for your games just to make them run on it!
And actually Windows 7 is a great OS, maybe not as good as the XP was, but with more features and never technology, without Vista's crappy bugs and filler.
Except that he was telling me that Windows 7 was giving him some trouble and that, even logged in as the administrator, 7 would not allow him to access certain things. And this is coming from the guy who would collect computer viruses and take them apart so he could see how they were coded.

But first thing's first: I have to become financially stable enough to be able to build a computer. And another thing I have to deal with: He was telling me that AVI is a better graphics card manufacturer as it supports mode codecs and such, but Nvidia has PhysX.

Why can't we live in a world where you can run an ATI 5970 and an Nvidia GTX590 in the computer and get ATI power with Nvidia PhysX? <:-/