Battlefield 3 Review

battlefield3hc

Nov 4, 2011
Hello,

Do you have anyone who can look over this site http://www.fpscheats.com/topic122941.htm and fix the problem with EA and these Battlefield 3 Hacks? I have four people in my clan using the hack and it's simply not fair the way these guys can see every single enemy on the screen. The last guy using it had 17,000 points and was ranked 50 already. I'm currently serving in the Marine Corp and Battlefield 3 is what I do to relax (believe it or not).... but these cheaters have made me so mad. What can I do? It doesn't seem like anything.

I called EA support FIVE TIMES (was on the phone for 90 mins total) and every person I talked to said the game had no hacks out for it. I even sent them to the website and showed them the videos and screens and they said they were fake... c'mon, are they serious?

I also tried to post asking for help on the EA Forums and every single time they delete my post. After spending $60 and EA made $5 Million in sales the FIRST WEEK I think a deserving LEGIT player like me deserves some sort of answer about a fix. Can you help?

Regards,
Chris Johnson

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
use of the loading music from bf 1942 secret weapons? awesome
and yes.. the single player is crap.. i took me a bit to notice that there was a quick time event

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
Multiplayer awesome buuutt....

Where are the destructible buildings? seriously, like the maps have taken a step down imo, the lack of destructible buildings, too many choke points, they even feel a little smaller even if they aren't.

I loved BC2 because I could blow a hole in a wall and get away from impending doom, or i could blow a sniper out of a sniper nest with a RPG etc

Seems wrong to take it out.

Also single player is aaaaaaaawful, like visually nice but boring story, boring action, boring acting, WAAAY too many qte, basically this really annoyed me because it's like they didnt even try.

TBH all in all Battlefield BC2 is a little better I think BF3 is a step down.

some things are better but a lot of things are worse.

It seems like they just wanted to poach the modern warfare crowd. For some reason me thinks EA has been too involved.

When there is a lot of money on the line games seem to suck more I've noticed. I still enjoy BF3 but it seems like it's just going to be another cash cow where they develop to what they think players want instead of what they think will be a good game.

seriously I really think they screwed up with the removal of most of the destructible buildings. It was one of the main gameplay mechanics. Now it just seems a bit blander.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Vrach said:
Indeed, the BF1942 soundtrack is one of the most epic gaming scores ever. I'm not totally averse to the BF3 adaptation either though (full versions starting about halfway in):

While the original is certainly better, I like the ambience the new version creates. It's a shame the singleplayer couldn't live up to it, it really had some potential (the 2 seat plane level took my breath away for the first few minutes)
completely unrelated to your post, that trailer makes the game look really good, until you realize its actually showing every good moment in the entire game, and that between every one of those clips theres usually just hours of pure boring.

Worst part is that I think they came really close too. The graphics and sound are nearly perfect for the experience..and then it just gets pummeled with bad story and quicktime events. for instance the Fighter Jet level was amazing the first few minutes as you take off from the carrier..and then its proceeded by 10 minutes of you click "x", and 10 minutes of you aiming at dots on the ground through a black and white lense. That level would have been perfect if after 2 minutes, they just let you take over and fly (Admittedly I'm not sure how exactly they should pull that off..but anything would be better than what they did)

Really good review, pretty much sums up my thoughts on it

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Excludos said:
completely unrelated to your post, that trailer makes the game look really good, until you realize its actually showing every good moment in the entire game, and that between every one of those clips theres usually just hours of pure boring.

Worst part is that I think they came really close too. The graphics and sound are nearly perfect for the experience..and then it just gets pummeled with bad story and quicktime events. for instance the Fighter Jet level was amazing the first few minutes as you take off from the carrier..and then its proceeded by 10 minutes of you click "x", and 10 minutes of you aiming at dots on the ground through a black and white lense. That level would have been perfect if after 2 minutes, they just let you take over and fly (Admittedly I'm not sure how exactly they should pull that off..but anything would be better than what they did)
Yep, agreed 100%. Every part of their story had potential to be awesome, but it was just very badly executed. It just shows they didn't put their A game into making the singleplayer, which, while not surprising, is more than a little disappointing, as delivering on all 3 fronts (singleplayer, co-op, multiplayer) would've made it the ultimate game.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Slycne said:
Certainly I could write another 1,000 words on BF3, like how there is no easy way to practice flying helicopters and jets (the older titles at least had bot matches) and that some upgrades really should have been unlocked at the start, but ultimately that doesn't encapsulate much of my thoughts on Battlefield 3. I don't necessarily think it's a great experience because of x, y, and z. It's the unique opportunities to play the game beyond just K:D that makes it good, like stealing that tank as I mentioned.
Wait, what? No botmatches?

So there's no more 3 vs 60 LAN games then. And no learning how to fly the (now probably broken) jets and helicopters, unless you know people that have empty servers available for you (which I do, but still).

I'm also wondering what "good" features there were in Bad Company 2. Because I don't know of any. BC2 esports died 3 weeks after launch, for a reason. BF2 esports is still going.
The destructible terrain isn't destructible, it's just an object replacement with particle effects. Come back when you can deform the terrain in real time. I want to see permanent marks from driving the tank in the mud, not buildings being "destroyed" in the exact same way each and every time.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Slycne said:
Vrach said:
On your second point, while I don't care about Escapist reviews and didn't even notice they had a score, the singleplayer is a problem in this review. Know why? Cause it took over the review. The reviewer spent most of the time talking about the singleplayer and only said "yeah, it's good and unstructured" about the multiplayer. There is so much more to be said about the multiplayer, which makes you wonder, why doesn't this have a 2 part review like most other shooters in the past?

As someone who has played and is still playing BF3, I can tell you that this review barely even touches on what the game is and doesn't provide nearly as much information as it should to anyone watching it to get a clearer picture of what they're getting - this review doesn't provide you with any more information about BF3's multiplayer (which I think we can agree is the main part of the game) than any retailer would with the description that's straight from DICE. But then again, I can't say that's too uncharacteristic for Escapist reviews.

edit: Oh and it doesn't say a word about the co-op, interestingly enough.
By word count, I actually spent more time talking about multiplayer than I did single player. Perhaps it merely feels like I focus on the singleplayer because I left it for last.

Certainly I could write another 1,000 words on BF3, like how there is no easy way to practice flying helicopters and jets (the older titles at least had bot matches) and that some upgrades really should have been unlocked at the start, but ultimately that doesn't encapsulate much of my thoughts on Battlefield 3. I don't necessarily think it's a great experience because of x, y, and z. It's the unique opportunities to play the game beyond just K:D that makes it good, like stealing that tank as I mentioned.

CounterAttack said:
I highly approve of the use of the original Battlefield 1942 theme.
That simple theme drums up so many memories across this series, so I had to get it in there somewhere.

Out of curiosity, for a game like this, why didn't you do separate reviews for the single player and the multiplayer like for Blops? Seems like it was warranted here.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Mumorpuger said:
Out of curiosity, for a game like this, why didn't you do separate reviews for the single player and the multiplayer like for Blops? Seems like it was warranted here.
We did that in the past when editors felt they were better suited to only comment on one aspect of the gameplay. I enjoy both avenues of singleplayer and multiplayer so no such splitting was required.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Slycne said:
Mumorpuger said:
We did that in the past when editors felt they were better suited to only comment on one aspect of the gameplay. I enjoy both avenues of singleplayer and multiplayer so no such splitting was required.
Ah, okay. Great review! I feel like it was very accurate.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
battlefield3hc said:
Hello,

Do you have anyone who can look over this site http://www.fpscheats.com/topic122941.htm and fix the problem with EA and these Battlefield 3 Hacks? I have four people in my clan using the hack and it's simply not fair the way these guys can see every single enemy on the screen. The last guy using it had 17,000 points and was ranked 50 already. I'm currently serving in the Marine Corp and Battlefield 3 is what I do to relax (believe it or not).... but these cheaters have made me so mad. What can I do? It doesn't seem like anything.

I called EA support FIVE TIMES (was on the phone for 90 mins total) and every person I talked to said the game had no hacks out for it. I even sent them to the website and showed them the videos and screens and they said they were fake... c'mon, are they serious?

I also tried to post asking for help on the EA Forums and every single time they delete my post. After spending $60 and EA made $5 Million in sales the FIRST WEEK I think a deserving LEGIT player like me deserves some sort of answer about a fix. Can you help?

Regards,
Chris Johnson
Wow that sucks, take your story to the Battlefield 3 reddit my friend. They have a community manager from DICE on there who's pretty cool so if your story gets upvoted you could well get noticed.

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
I really feel this game is more enjoyable on the PC, I've played Xbox and PC so far, Xbox version belonging to my brother and overall, the PC version actually got me hooked on the game, while the Xbox version felt kinda meh. It's weird. I'm talking about the multiplayer here and general setup. Not the graphics, actually. Plus, I've grown really fond of Battlelog, which I can't even figure out why some people are complaining about.

Origin hasn't proved a bother either, I hardily even look at it, spending most of my time either playing or glaring at the battle log, eh. Now, I did however have some problems with getting my connection timed out in the middle of games, which I didn't have on the xbox. However, that solved itself when I forwarded ports, as I havn't ever since.

As for the campaign, It's.. okay, I guess. I didn't buy this game to play that myself though. I remember back in the days when I used to play Battlefield 2k, The futuristic one. That was awesome, what with titans and all. This game helped revive some of those fond memories, although could still do with the titans:D

To clarify, on the Origin part, I got an account just to play this game, was it worth it? Hell yes.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
I am actually really enjoying Battlelog. There have been heaps of bugfixes to it that would normally be put in a patch we have to download. Instead they just update their own end over a half hour period. So much easier.

Being educated at uni in various methods of software development probably helps me to realise how ingenious this system is but I really think this is a new direction games will head into. Especially with the continued rise of cloud computing.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
Ah, I`l buy it when it gets on a steam sale... Never you say? ok, I will never get it legaly then.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Is there still that graphics problem? Having to download a package to get HD graphics? I remember a thread about it a while ago, Does it affect the 360?

Anyway, i'll probably pick this up for chrimbo, getting MW3 then as well so i get to compare and see which one i like ;D

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
arc1991 said:
Is there still that graphics problem? Having to download a package to get HD graphics? I remember a thread about it a while ago, Does it affect the 360?

Anyway, i'll probably pick this up for chrimbo, getting MW3 then as well so i get to compare and see which one i like ;D
There is a texture pack for the 360 on the second disc. I'm fairly sure you don't have to download it.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
I don't think it exactly a bad thing you don't feel anything for the characters. The vast majority of people playing this game (not to mention those who developed it) don't even think about what it's actually like to be in a combat situation, and treat the characters they are playing as as expendable. So that's what they become.

And actually, that's what I think is one of the strongest elements of this kind of modern warfare fps. In general you are playing an average, working class man who has essentially been paid by his government (and by extension the vast military-industrial complex) to die in order to further territorial and financial gain. What these games show, although I doubt anyone making or playing them gives it a second thought, is that the people pulling our strings don't care about our lives...even the slightest bit.

Don't throw "single soldier dies, national tragedy" news stories at me because they're just concocted to assuage the guilty conscience of those who want to think they care but actually don't.

Withard

Feb 4, 2010
The MOST disgusting optimized game I have EVER played.

Constant crashes, gliches, problems, crashes, did I mention crashes, Minimizing working games followed by crashes.

Horrendous effort