Battlefield 4: China Rising Gets Banned in China

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
Waaghpowa said:
All these people telling China to "lighten up". What do you think would happen if someone made a game portraying America in the same way China was in Battlefield? The Right wing in America would be throwing a shit fit about FREEDOM! and try to ban it.

It's easy to say "Lighten up" when your country is the one being portrayed as the heroic "protectors of freedom". Fictional or not.

Hypocrisy all around, not just China.
A game demonizing the US as the evil dictators already exists. As does TV shows and movies.

The game you want to look up is called The Glorious Mission. The game generally is about a land dispute between Japan and China, that means the untied states military is part of the Antagonists of the game. I'm not exactly burning down villages over this.

The United States, Europe, and Japan account for the vast majority of games made in the world, war games primarily come from the United States so of course we are used to the same batch of soldiers. With China's recent advancement it makes sense that they're now joining the group of soldiers.

When war games are made someone has to be the antagonist or nothing is going to happen. I'll also call out your "hypocrisy" comment and say this, The Glorious mission is a little active in it's "propaganda" steps as apposed to what actually happens in the Battlefield 4 campaign, which I'm sure almost no one has played because who the hell says "I got battlefield for the campaign".

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
vIRL Nightmare said:
Waaghpowa said:
All these people telling China to "lighten up". What do you think would happen if someone made a game portraying America in the same way China was in Battlefield? The Right wing in America would be throwing a shit fit about FREEDOM! and try to ban it.

It's easy to say "Lighten up" when your country is the one being portrayed as the heroic "protectors of freedom". Fictional or not.

A game demonizing the US as the evil dictators already exists. As does TV shows and movies.

The game you want to look up is called The Glorious Mission. The game generally is about a land dispute between Japan and China, that means the untied states military is part of the Antagonists of the game. I'm not exactly burning down villages over this.

The United States, Europe, and Japan account for the vast majority of games made in the world, war games primarily come from the United States so of course we are used to the same batch of soldiers. With China's recent advancement it makes sense that they're now joining the group of soldiers.

When war games are made someone has to be the antagonist or nothing is going to happen. I'll also call out your "hypocrisy" comment and say this, The Glorious mission is a little active in it's "propaganda" steps as apposed to what actually happens in the Battlefield 4 campaign, which I'm sure almost no one has played because who the hell says "I got battlefield for the campaign".
I played it. I would bet money that anyone complaining about how 'Murica saves the day from the evil Chinese" hasn't. The whole campaign has the American carrier your squad is stationed on getting its ass kicked by Admiral Chang, who is trying to usurp power from the progressive and beloved Chinese president Jin Jie. I posted a small plot summary in a different thread, but the gist of it is that the Russians are backing Admiral Chang who will start a war with the Americans in order to force America into a two-front war.

As soon as the Chinese soldiers find out that Jin Jie is still alive and has been protected by the American troops from Chang, they IMMEDIATELY stop all fighting.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
vIRL Nightmare said:
Waaghpowa said:

I've never heard of the Glorious mission, and I assume many more people haven't either. There's a tiny article on wikipedia with very little information about it.

People who cry out against games content almost always target what's most popular or mainstream.
Example: GTA is regarded in the mainstream media as being murder simulators, teaching our children to kill.

Pay Day 2, a game where the whole premise is to arm yourself, rob various establishments and murder hostages and police officers gets absolutely no attention.

The media, and the government, target the the flavour of the month. Battlefield 4 just so happens to be that flavour of the month due to the amount of news surrounding it's performance issues and EA's financial troubles.

Now if "Glorious Mission" had nearly as much coverage and exposure as Battlefield 4, I would agree with you, but unfortunately it doesn't.

As far as TV and movies are concerned, I can't think of anything in recent memory aside from possibly Homeland, but even then they still play off the whole Muslim terrorist thing.

I'm not necessarily defending China on this, I'm simply saying that people need to get some perspective. Had the positions been reversed or your home country been the focus, I don't doubt that there would be some pissed off people. There are so many video games and movies and glorify America and it's army, but once someone is upset about it, it gets dismissed as frivolous.

TL;DR The point I'm making is people need to get some perspective rather than being dismissive and flippant.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
I have to wonder if America would also get upset if they were the antagonist. With all the effort they put into being real evil, I can't help but think they would see it as a compliment.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
EA's Battlefield 4: China Rising involves a war between American protectors of freedom and a manipulative Chinese admiral.
No it isn't, its about several giant, empty flat maps made just for snipers and vehicles. I don't recall it even having anything to do with china. Oh, I'm sure that's where it's supposed to be, but honestly it could be almost anywhere it's so ambiguous and lazily designed.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Fireprufe15 said:
I have to wonder if America would also get upset if they were the antagonist. With all the effort they put into being real evil, I can't help but think they would see it as a compliment.
Lol yea America is sooooooo evil soooo terrible, I guess we should have let the world fall under the treads of Nazi Germany and Japan during WWII. Look at all that evil $37 Billion we give out in foreign aid each year, maybe we should just end it all because its all clearly blood money. Perhaps we should end all our trade agreements with many countries as well because clearly the more moral world wouldn't want to be involved with such an evil country.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Waaghpowa said:

That reminds me of an Extra Credits episode, James show a patriotic American "America's Army" which he obviously endorsed and said everyone should play, but when shown a game where the roles were reversed (another nation as the good guys and America as bad) his tune changed to wanting to have it censored/banned. The US republicans made a big fuss with Medal of Honor (2010) and that was only due to the enemies being playable Taliban, god help any game that has a campaign from their side.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I really can't blame them. I'm curious to see how would the US react if someone made a big budget game with them as the bad guys and with the Russians, Chinese and whatnot coming to the rescue of the world.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Coreless said:
Lol yea America is sooooooo evil soooo terrible, I guess we should have let the world fall under the treads of Nazi Germany and Japan during WWII.
Firstly, that was 70 years ago, and secondly, the US wasn't too concerned about the expansion of Germany and Japan until they declared war on it.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
To be fair a reasonable plot line involving the two countries going to war would not exactly be fun. You see, there would be an event or skirmish involving either the Republic of China or an accident in the dick-measuring territorial waters contest going on. This would be followed by a runup and positioning where the allies of both nations destabilize due to the withdrawal of military forces and support and them simultaneously being let "off the chain".

Then the whole world wets their pants when they remember "oh wait this thing can kill all of us." Also a massive shock to the economy that will spin... well everyone... into a deep economic depression I don't think we have words for.

Actually nevermind. Writing in this setting has a lot more potential than the "this eagle is crying. Let's shoot us some foreigners because they're different."

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Hey China, grow a pair! Russia has been the villain punching bag for a while now and to an extent us British as well. we wouldn't be bitching if you made a game where the US goes ape shit and invades the world and you come and save the day; we'd only care if it was crap. :D

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
karloss01 said:
Hey China, grow a pair! Russia has been the villain punching bag for a while now and to an extent us British as well. we wouldn't be bitching if you made a game where the US goes ape shit and invades the world and you come and save the day; we'd only care if it was crap. :D
You are not familiar with the American right-wing are you?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
ClockworkUniverse said:
On the one hand, I'm against censorship.

On the other hand, that developers still make xenophobic shit like this in 2013 is pretty disgusting.
But it's not Xenophobic. They're not saying "all of China is bad hurr durr." The bad guy is a ROGUE Chinese General. He has nothing to do with China as a whole. Maybe play the story or at least read the plot synopsis before you make these wild claims?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
ClockworkUniverse said:

On the other hand, that developers still make xenophobic shit like this in 2013 is pretty disgusting.
But it's not Xenophobic. They're not saying "all of China is bad hurr durr." The bad guy is a ROGUE Chinese General. He has nothing to do with China as a whole. Maybe play the story or at least read the plot synopsis before you make these wild claims?
But it's still a rogue Chinese general. It could never happen to an American general.

Well, it did in Modern Warfare 2. But the real bad guys were still Russians and the plot continued from CoD4 which was also about bad Russians.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
kasperbbs said:
I really can't blame them. I'm curious to see how would the US react if someone made a big budget game with them as the bad guys and with the Russians, Chinese and whatnot coming to the rescue of the world.
It wouldn't sell very well, that's what would happen.

But the US wouldn't censor it.

I actually don't give a shit about what the morality police of China get up to these days. If they ban it, fine. Good. Maybe less developers will care about trying to get involved in the Chinese market. Less time they spend trying to water down their stories so they don't upset the Chinese by implying they have draconian censorship and propaganda legislation the less game companies will have to worry about their draconian censorship and propaganda legislation.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
(except maybe the game America's Army, which doesn't take sides as far as I'm aware, nor is it propagandistic).
Actually America's Army is a recruiting tool and you're never playing the Arabs(It was arabs I think.), the other games are mostly neutral though.

Waaghpowa said:

Er... Spec Ops the line did fine, the latest Splinter Cell has US-sanctioned intelligence agents constantly breaking international laws, geneva convention included, torturing prisioners for quick intel and even breaking into Guantanamo to steal intelligence from the US itself. GTA paints highly corrupt US government officials as a common thing, the aforementioned Fallout has the remnants of the US government trying to kill every single survivor so they can repopulate the US with pure rad free "civilized" individuals and on that note Marvel comics has been painting the US government in a specially bad light for about a decade now, all of these are doing perfectly fine and there's no sign of censorship at all. There's a few idiots complaining about violence but that's a different issue altogether.

All that said, Has anyone actually played Battlefield's campaign? I still haven't started bf3's. Also China was a faction in BF2 and C&C Generals a decade ago and I don't remember this kind of stupidity(Then again they've probably banned Generals at least.) I've heard China is actually not the villain but some old guard guy who thinks they should take over the world, it's a cliche but I don't see how it's "omfg offensive." If anything it's a sign they should have kept the Battlefield fluff to the little text boxes before each map describing the battle's background but I don't see the grounds for censorship, we don't censor bad stories.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Sseth said:
I don't blame them at all. All of those call of poopy and battleshit games do is pander to american patriotic ego, and I don't even think it's far fetched to say that these companies receive something on the side for making their games more patriotic and painting the US's rivals in a bad light.

They're better off without it anyway. Military macho jerk off material really needs to get de-throned this generation or I'm going to go berserk.
You know, when you say stuff like "Military macho jerk off material" in reference to CoD, you're kind of insulting EVERYONE who plays CoD. I mean... you realize that, right?

I don't see why people feel the need to make up awful, awful puns like "Call of poopy" and "Battleshit." Can't I just enjoy my CoD and Battlefield without constantly being made to feel like I'm some asshole? I mean, I don't make up names and insult the games you enjoy. Why ya gotta do it to me?

Other than having the audacity to casually enjoy a game you seem to want to vilify for some inane reason, what did I ever do to deserve this?

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Kenbo Slice said:
ClockworkUniverse said:

Okay, that actaully is somewhat better, and that's my mistake. In that case, the game's plot is at the very least less problematic than I thought. However, I still feel justified in my more general concerns regarding xenophobia in modern military games, when we're getting stuff like the COD game about how all of South America suddenly turns into an evil hivemind because reasons.
Res Plus said:
ClockworkUniverse said:

Yeah, there should be no negative portrayals of anything in any game, ever (other than middle class white people, they are all wankers and should be portrayed negatively at all times).
Sure is fun to pretend people who disagree with you are saying completely stupid things so you can just dismiss them. Much easier than actually reading and thinking.

I have nothing against characters of any given ethnicity being used as villains. It's just when they're villains because of the ethnicity itself that things get problematic. If the other post I quoted is accurate, this game's story is far less of an issue than I thought, and I've perhaps been trained to expect the worst by other media (though I would still argue that the title is deliberately provocative at best).