Battlefield 4: China Rising Gets Banned in China

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
How the hell are you supposed to prove you're not bad guys when you're censoring opposing speech? That's not a good sign.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
Video game with a fictional plot about a rogue military leader who happens to be Chinese starting a war.
To be fair, "Rogue military leader" is the Antagonist version of "I'm not racist, but..."

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Good for China that they are standing up against this, it is high time that people start paying more attention to hidden propaganda in video games and its effect on the populous.

Demonizing a certain group of people for years on end in fiction has a negative effect on the general opinion of people on this group.

It was already talked about in this thread but people ought to check this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4_bMhZ4gA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Am I the only one that finds it funny that, of all the things that Battlefield is getting headlines for, it's because of its Single Player?

No offense to anyone that enjoys the Battlefield Single Player campaign... but it's certainly nothing to write home about. Honestly speaking, you bought the game only for its awesome Multiplayer.

That being said, it's China. Of course anything that portrays them in a negative light will get their ire.

On the other hand, I do agree with people in that this whole patriotic wankfest is getting a bit tired. Wouldn't mind another Spec-Ops The Line to show up.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Its China. They'll censor the living shite out of anything that doesnt kiss their behinds.

As for perspective, it doesnt matter. Its wrong no matter where it happens. It doesnt matter that the US is the horribly overdone patriotic hero. If they were the villains and the game would somehow the censored there, it would still be wrong. Doesnt matter who's doing it, its still wrong. I dont think the US or even Russia would do it, even if things could definetly be in a better shape in both those countries, but there would obviously be hardcore rightwing nutcases thinking it would "damage national integrity and morale" or whatever. But those are the same kind of crazy people that think that if you arent wearing a T-shirt with your nations colours you're a traitor. The only thing this shows is that these people have a tad more to say about things in China, and that they like to try and keep their population brainwashed, NK-style.

A little scary when you think about how many people that involves.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I'd censor the single player story, too. Damn, that was terrible. If they just brought back Bad Company, which they won't, they'd have something respectable. The Expendables is popular right now and Bad Company meets that niche so WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY DO THE SAME THING AS THEIR MAIN COMPETITOR? Goddamn EA/DICE, it doesn't need to be country vs. country. It could be simply mercenaries vs. mercenaries. It's not like there's an actual canon to protect or be faithful to.

Oh right, China as villains. Umm, well White House Down is a fresh movie that didn't use xenophobia as a plot/emotional device while Olympus Has Fallen did. Both are the exact same movie except White House Down is amazing (minus the flag-waving part of the ending) and Olympus Has Fallen is pretty shit (every second scene was jerking off into the American flag). That's only one example of how boring it is to use common bullshit beliefs for stories. While yes, it can be entertaining to explore fantastical real-world conflicts, it's really hard to pull off anything but a superfluous shell of a plot.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I can't blame them. In fact, this American military "swinging dick of freedom" propaganda is getting old. How do people still buy into that crap every fuckin' year?
They don't, they just play the multiplayer. All of them.

I'm not even kidding, in my office not a single person has played the campaign since cod 4

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
yeah that Ban is just for show. Cause im in china right now and every game shop still has stocks of BF4 on their shelf in fact its been selling better now then ever. Plus in TaoBao(chinas amazon/ebay)are still selling BF4.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
omega 616 said:
It is part of the reason I say American's are paranoid (the other part is a well gone over topic) just look at the list complied by Giantbomb about it
It's a pretty common theme in American games, it's like the worst case scenario, "fuck the world ending what happened to America?".

On the other hand, come on China ... Russia has been baddies for ages and they didn't say shit. Imagine if we went Axis style, the next bad guys are either Italy, Japan or Germany ... I think shit would really kick off then!
How did Iron brigade get there? There isn't even a single point in the game where america is mentioned and the levels take place in europe and egypt with the pacific as the endgame location.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Vaguely interesting (but not unexpected). What I want to know is, can I kill American soldiers as the Chinese (outside of mp)?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
omega 616 said:
It is part of the reason I say American's are paranoid (the other part is a well gone over topic) just look at the list complied by Giantbomb about it
It's a pretty common theme in American games, it's like the worst case scenario, "fuck the world ending what happened to America?".

On the other hand, come on China ... Russia has been baddies for ages and they didn't say shit. Imagine if we went Axis style, the next bad guys are either Italy, Japan or Germany ... I think shit would really kick off then!
It's not so much paranoia... sure, the hardcore right-wingers are convinced that anyone with a different skin tone or a funny accent is chomping at the bit to invade America and take all the freedom away, but they're a fairly fringe minority.

The biggest reason "*insert country here* invades US" stories are so popular is because of plot conventions. Thanks to what generally appeals to an audience when it comes to choosing a side in a narrative, a game that stars America has to try to portray them in such a way that they are:

A.) the underdog
B.) in the moral right

Given that America is a superpower, A can almost never be done believably. It's especially funny in some of the recent games, where it's only because the outside forces stole America's doomsday weapons that America is threatened in the first place.

As for B), international squabbles are seldom so black and white that you can point to one side and say "there's the good guy!" hence, the invasion angle. These pricks invaded a country that wasn't their own... clearly they deserve some uppance!

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Waaghpowa said:
All these people telling China to "lighten up". What do you think would happen if someone made a game portraying America in the same way China was in Battlefield? The Right wing in America would be throwing a shit fit about FREEDOM! and try to ban it.

It's easy to say "Lighten up" when your country is the one being portrayed as the heroic "protectors of freedom". Fictional or not.

Hypocrisy all around, not just China.
Hey I'd be cool with it. I may or not play it, but I wouldn't cry "racist" nor petition it to be removed from shelves. And true, the US right wing would most likely have the same reaction as the Chinese politicians and I would be telling them to lighten up as well. Hell it was stupid when they complained about MOH:Warfighter allowing you to play as the Taliban in MP despite the fact that actual US servicemen said they would be fine with it.

bluegate said:
Good for China that they are standing up against this, it is high time that people start paying more attention to hidden propaganda in video games and its effect on the populous.
Kinda ironic that the video you linked mentions a certain Chinese MMO that was more blatantly offensive than BF4 could ever hope to be. If anything China (the politicians) complaining about BF4 just reeks of a double standard.

bluegate said:
Demonizing a certain group of people for years on end in fiction has a negative effect on the general opinion of people on this group.

It was already talked about in this thread but people ought to check this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4_bMhZ4gA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Eh, it could but you better get some solid proof to back up said accusation before you go painting an entire demographic with a broad brush.

This situation is kinda like the whole "video games make people violent". Now its true that we have better mental barriers against violence than say racism, but the basic principle is the same; video games (especially 18+ games) are not responsible for teaching tolerance and respect for other races. Plus I am more inclined to believe that racist people who do play MMS were racist long before playing said game.

ThunderCavalier said:
Am I the only one that finds it funny that, of all the things that Battlefield is getting headlines for, it's because of its Single Player?

No offense to anyone that enjoys the Battlefield Single Player campaign... but it's certainly nothing to write home about. Honestly speaking, you bought the game only for its awesome Multiplayer.
Hey no argument here. The campaign serves as a nice little break from the MP mayhem especially when I'm getting killed by some guy who can kill me before I can even twitch due to him running the game at 125+ FPS. The campaign is like a mindless popcorn movie; its stupid but harmless and fun at times. Though in terms of a single player element I do wish they would just go back to using MP modes with bots.

omega 616 said:
Wait wait wait...So people who make or play a fictional game about america being invaded are paranoid, but people of other races who just happen to be villains and think that Americans who play said game are out to get them...aren't paranoid?