Bayonetta Dev Talks PS3 Version Problems

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Bayonetta Dev Talks PS3 Version Problems

Bayonetta developer Platinum Games has addressed the widely reported issues in the PS3 version of its game, assuring gamers that it did its best to make both versions of equal quality.

Earlier this month some folks got their hands on the PS3 version of Bayonetta and what they saw was far from impressive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94372-PS3-Bayonetta-Isnt-Looking-So-Hot].

"While the 360 version on display looked crisp and smooth, the PS3 version was very blurry and the framerate was all over the place. During one portion of the demo, a crazy scene where you are jumping off of falling parts of a giant clock tower, it was often hard to keep track of the action because of the graphical issues on PS3," 1UP reported.

So what's the deal with Bayonetta on the PS3? Developer Platinum Games' CEO Tatsuya Minami has issued a statement to clear up the matter, but it doesn't exactly answer any questions, though it does conveniently rid Platinum Games of any blame:

"With Bayonetta, we created the Xbox 360 version of the game first, and then handed off all the data and other assets to SEGA so they could begin the process of porting Bayonetta to the PS3, giving them advice regarding the porting process along the way and overseeing the progress to ensure that the PS3 version would be the best it could be. "

In other words, if the PS3 version sucks, don't blame Platinum Games. It did all it could to help Sega get the job done, but apparently that wasn't enough.

Minami doesn't state that the the PS3 version will be looking any better - in fact he seems to accept the current state of both versions as a foregone conclusion, and urges gamers to decide for themselves about this matter.

"The Xbox 360 and PS3, as hardware platforms, both have their own distinct differences and peculiarities, and these characteristics will naturally give birth to differences in the final product," Minami said. "However, all involved endeavored to exploit the specific traits of each console to create an enjoyable experience. We feel the best way to evaluate this is by actually playing the game for yourself and coming to your own conclusions."

[Via VideoGamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/platinum_games_addresses_bayonetta_ps3_concerns.html]]

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Ohhhhh the irony. Last time I've heard, all of the people that try to convince me to get a PS3 brag about it's parts and it's ability. I'm happy right now.

Although, that is quite odd.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Marq said:
Heh. And I thought one of the selling points of the PS3 was it's superior hardware.
Superior hardware needs to be taken advantage of by competent devs. Plenty of games were developed on the 360 first, then ported to the ps3, and both products come out looking/playing brilliantly.

This sounds like laziness on the part of Platinum Games.

Sony fanboys, you can now stop hating on VALVe. Direct your attention to a dev house that deserves it.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
This is slightly off topic but someone help me out.

So I hear the Platinum games is made up of former Capcom studio Clover, known for Vewtiful Joe, Okami, and God Hand. But it seems Capcom still has the rights to those games with the upcoming Okamiden which Platinum is not involved with.

Now those 3 games have a pretty distinctive style to them, but I don't really get that from what I've seen of this game. Is there a particular reason for that? Or did they just decied to do something different then they had done before.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
FloodOne said:
Marq said:
Heh. And I thought one of the selling points of the PS3 was it's superior hardware.
Superior hardware needs to be taken advantage of by competent devs. Plenty of games were developed on the 360 first, then ported to the ps3, and both products come out looking/playing brilliantly.

This sounds like laziness on the part of Platinum Games.

Sony fanboys, you can now stop hating on VALVe. Direct your attention to a dev house that deserves it.
Hneh...

You will see more of this folks. Secret fanboys fighting among well known fanboys, with some flames, maybe some swearing, lots of quote box chains...

Someone fucked up somewhere. It's not because the PS3 has 1337 hardware settings, or Microsoft payed someone off, someone just fucked up. I'll just put that out there, so when the flames start, people can trace back to this.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Eric the Orange said:

So I hear the Platinum games is made up of former Capcom studio Clover, known for Vewtiful Joe, Okami, and God Hand. But it seems Capcom still has the rights to those games with the upcoming Okamiden which Platinum is not involved with.

Now those 3 games have a pretty distinctive style to them, but I don't really get that from what I've seen of this game. Is there a particular reason for that? Or did they just decied to do something different then they had done before.
In this game you can suplex a dragon, smash dudes with giant magic hammers made of hair and have guns built into the heels of your shoes. I think it's going for distinctive.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
"However, all involved endeavored to exploit the specific traits of each console to create an enjoyable experience. We feel the best way to evaluate this is by actually playing the game for yourself and coming to your own conclusions."
Did he just justify a badly made port by saying you should buy both versions to compare them?

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
The Xbox and PS3 run completely differently. The Xbox has a good GPU while the CPU lacks a bit, so games are based around the GPU. The PS3 doesn't have a strong GPU but the CPU is fucking insane, the only problem is if a game is made for the Xbox than it will be based on GPU not CPU, thus ports will lack on PS3 because they are not built to use more CPU.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Marq said:
Heh. And I thought one of the selling points of the PS3 was its superior hardware.
Which is purposely harder to program for.
cleverlymadeup said:
bunch of lazy developers not being able to do their job of developing
I can agree somewhat that this was a cock up, which is surprising as they are former Capcom code monkeys. But they're not the first dev team to say this. Valve and Factor 5 also expressed the difficulty they had with the hardware, for example. Even John Carmack, the guy your favourite devs pray to before they go to sleep even had problems. Oh well.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Someday people are going to have to accept facts and just admit that there are some huge bottlenecks that developers are forced to deal with on the PS3. Absolutely pointless bottlenecks that shouldn't have been there if Sony had cared at all about their developers.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Marq said:
Heh. And I thought one of the selling points of the PS3 was its superior hardware.
Which is purposely harder to program for.
cleverlymadeup said:
bunch of lazy developers not being able to do their job of developing
I can agree somewhat that this was a cock up, which is surprising as they are former Capcom code monkeys. But they're not the first dev team to say this. Valve and Factor 5 also expressed the difficulty they had with the hardware, for example. Even John Carmack, the guy your favourite devs pray to before they go to sleep even had problems. Oh well.
I've never understood why it was made harder to code for. If it's a technically better machine I can understand it being more complex but surely you'd go for both quality and ease of use?

I can sort of see their point that they want the games to improve in quality over time, but that just seems to pick on the early adopters which have to be at least considered the core market and their most loyal supporters.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
Eric the Orange said:

hmmm. TBH from the start I have never gotten into the hype with bayonetta... from the start it has looked like dmc with a sexy lady and i dont think that it looks to be anything worth other than a rental.

I love clover and was really sad to see them go but this doesnt look very clover-y to me... like i said earlier. it looks like segas attempt of rivaling the DMC series... I dont think that platinum really had any say in the creative aspect of the game. i think that sega just asked them to make a DMC copy and they did just that.

mini rant over

minoes

Aug 28, 2008
Eric the Orange said:

That is because Hideki Kamiya created both Okami and Devil May Cry, and this game is his new take on the DMC series.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
i guess is harder to make ps3 games as some devs have said so but i guess is even harder because they keep trying to port games made for other consoles.