Bayonetta: Getting Creative With Murder

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Mstrswrd said:
What reviews have you been reading? Most of the reviews I've seen so far have been almost creepy in their adoration of the game.

Anyway, back on topic, I will say this. Bayonetta falls into a different sub-genre than DMC, NG, or GoW.

Devil May Cry is "Stylish Action."
Ninja Gaiden is "Timed-Action," timed not referring to time limits, but to exact dodges, blocks, and strikes.
God of War is "Brutal Action."
Bayonetta is "Over-the-Top Action."

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Actually, Bayonetta is the mutant offspring of Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. The style of DMC with the timing and combat flow of NG2, but turned up to eleven, painted red, and on fire.

It is, do not be fooled, the best of this type of game, and even having only played the demo I can see why it got a perfect 40 from Famitsu.

(Incidentally, I played the demo for this and God of War 3 within about half an hour of each other. GoW3 is clunky and rubbish by comparison, it's pretty, and it's still satisfying to gut chimerae, rip the eyeballs out of cyclopses, and tear the heads off of pathetically pleading sun gods, but the momentary flashes of "fuck yeah" you get from God of War 3 is what Bayonetta is like all the time).

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
I don't know. A lot of gamers seem to be writing Bayonetta as just a bland Devil May Cry clone,
Bayonetta is made by the same person as Devil May Cry 1. You know, the good one, not the increasingly wearied sequels.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Errr... this kinda puts me on the fence about the game.
It's still most likely not gonna be more than a rental for me, seeing how the premise is riding-to-work-on-a-carpet-of-ferrets silly and it's difficult to take the main character seriously when she's attacking enemies with her hair...
... but the combat looks ever more solid with each new trailer, and now we get fatality moves based on medieval torture devices?! Holy shit! Even if it's only for one weekend, this is starting to look like a fun ride!

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Actually, Bayonetta is the mutant offspring of Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. The style of DMC with the timing and combat flow of NG2, but turned up to eleven, painted red, and on fire.

It is, do not be fooled, the best of this type of game, and even having only played the demo I can see why it got a perfect 40 from Famitsu.
Oh, I know. I played the Demo as well. Kicked so much ass. I was actually expanding upon something Hikdeki Kamiya himself said. He stated that, and I'm very heavily paraphrasing, "Devil May Cry was stylish by design. It was meant to make you go "That's freakin cool." Bayonetta, by contrast, is meant to go right past "That's cool" an into the "Holy crap, what-the-hell... I don't even know what just happened, but it was awesome." That's my gosl... [etc]."

As for the timing, yeah, with the Witch time and more precise dodging overall, but I still would keep it within the Sub-Genre of "Over-the-Top Action," because of, well, you played the demo. You know why.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Kickass! I really like how everything looks like it's in fast-forward. Should be lots of fun, I hope they have a rack.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
First up: How could anyone think that Bayonetta is a Devil May Cry clone if its made by the same guy? That's like saying that Futurama is a rip-off of The Simpsons or BlazBlue is a knock-off of Guilty Gear!
Anyway, this looks to be the game that might finally use an attractive woman the same way that various media (that includes Devil May Cry, especially the third installment)have used attractive men, as icing on the cake rather than sugar on a turd as has unfortunately been the case prior.
Maybe the blood and gore can be seen as the fruity filling?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Elesar said:
Firstly: IRON MAIDEN? EXCELLENT! *Guitar riff*
Secondly: So Bayonetta is being added to the long list of games this year that is trying too hard.
Would it be better if they didn't try at all? Just spoonfeed us the same generic crud over and over again?

You do have a health bar to right? I mean losing a bit of magic hardly seems like a punishment.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
I don't know. A lot of gamers seem to be writing Bayonetta as just a bland Devil May Cry clone,
Bayonetta is made by the same person as Devil May Cry 1. You know, the good one, not the increasingly wearied sequels.
DMC 1 is better than DMC 3 gameplay wise?

I foresee a fanboy war in GameFAQs.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
I have to admit, using guillotine (as a weapon) effectively in a combat is quite a feat. Now if only she used it as a primary weapon, what a sight that would be.
Hoping to get her into your army?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Ok that was rather bad ass and crazy with how many ways you could kill the bad guys. Oh count me in too for more sexy accent's like that for trailers.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Did I just see her kicking an angel in the nads? Wow.

MaxTheReaper said:
"You can attack...with hair!"
Call me boring, but I think that's retarded.
Oh come on. A fucking dragon made out of hair! How often do you see something like that?

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
the thing is, Kratos doesnt need to make an iron maiden to kill people with. He will just rip your fucking head off.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
(Also, is anyone else of the sudden opinion that every game trailer should now be narrated by women with sexy British accents? Just throwin' that out there, I mean...)
I've noticed the trend... but are you complaining?

Christemo said:
the thing is, Kratos doesnt need to make an iron maiden to kill people with. He will just rip your fucking head off.
Well I've never seen that before...

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Isn't that the same lady who does the Ubisoft stuff?

Also, does anyone care about Uplay? I do, but that may just be me...

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
If only I could have such amazing....Skin tight Catsuits I mean Powers!

My lecturers could do with being a sandwich filling for a Maiden

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
"we see her trap people inside an Iron Maiden (no, not the band)"

Cuz that wouldn't be hardcore, nooooo.
Let's see her try and deal with Eddie (Flamethrower version)!
BURN!!