BBC Exec Wants a Woman to Play Lead in Doctor Who

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
ZeroAxis said:
her sonic screwdriver was already more advanced as mentioned in that episode with that huge library and shadow creature
I'm pretty sure that the eleventh doctor gave her that screwdriver
and then she died in the library shortly after getting it.

I was going to say if he wants a woman to play the lead why haven't they hired a woman yet. But considering he has only been Director of BBC Television since 2013 I guess he gets a pass.

I don't think the Doctor should be played by someone famous for example Emma Watson. The Doctor should be more famous than the actor playing her/him. Also the more famous actors are probably too expensive.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
This is hardly the first time this has been said.

I seem to recall hearing that the option was open for this latest Dr, but Peter's audition was the best.

Don't have anyone who leaps out as a female Dr for me, though I'm sure that there are plenty I've heard of that would produce a compelling audition.

Alex Kingston,'s turn of River is the closest performance in another role but sadly it pretty much rules her out as its in the same show.

Billie Piper might be good, and there's enough traumatic history to explain a possible resemblence to Rose.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
As long as Capaldi gets a fair run and, barring the unlikely event that he's terrible, he doesn't get chased out the door.
There's a plethora of potential doctors everywhere, though Helen Mirram is the highest profile one I can think of at this time.

Though one day I'd love to see Idris Elba play the doctor.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Mikeybb said:
As long as Capaldi gets a fair run and, barring the unlikely event that he's terrible, he doesn't get chased out the door.
There's a plethora of potential doctors everywhere, though Helen Mirram is the highest profile one I can think of at this time.

That would actually be a better idea than changing the Doctor's gender altogether.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
James Crook said:
Mikeybb said:

That would actually be a better idea than changing the Doctor's gender altogether.
In fairness, it was established that Gallifreyans could regenerate into either gender.

Best actor for the role who is willing to take it on should be the only guide.

It can work.
It worked with Sackoff's Starbuck.

The important thing is that when it happens it isn't for the reason of gender, but because the actor who is willing to take the role has something special to bring to what is one of the most unique roles in acting.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Mikeybb said:
The important thing is that when it happens it isn't for the reason of gender, but because the actor who is willing to take the role has something special to bring to what is one of the most unique roles in acting.
Well the actress would have to be pretty damn amazing to convince several people all over the fandom - including me - that changing the Doctor's gender is the best course of action instead of more properly written female characters with more important roles, or even a new series with a female lead.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
PG said:
No reason they can't besides insecure losers who feel a sense of entitlement to something they have no hand in creating.
Then again, no reason they should change his gender besides insecure losers who feel a sense of entitlement to something they have no hand in creating.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Mikeybb said:
As awesome as that would be, I don't know that I'll ever be able to stop asking myself "What's Stringer Bell doing with a sonic screwdriver?" every time he comes on screen.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Quick BBC, do it before Nintendo changes Link to be a woman!

My personal reaction is that I don't care, though I'm sure some of my friends who are fans will have strong opinions.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
I would fully support a female Doctor. I only have two concerns with it.

1. Steevie the wonder muppet (Steven Moffat) has some questionable views with regard to gender. It would probably be best to wait until he is gone. Or kick him out. I kind of feel like he has been in charge too long anyway.

2. If we are going to do a run with a female doctor then I really don't want it to turn into a show about the doctor being female. That happened occasionally with captain Janeway, and it made for some of the worst Star Trek there is. I really don't want that to happen to Doctor Who.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I mentioned this to my sister in law and her friend who are both huge Doctor Who fans, so huge it's annoying and they don't want a female doctor. It makes sense I guess, if you are a huge fan of something then you clearly like it the way it is. Me? I think we should make women the lead in every movie, tv show and video game just so we can stop this shit.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Petromir said:
but Peter's audition was the best.
It wouldn't be hard, he was the only person Moffat auditioned.

OP: It would be nice but Moffat has been asked that question and it seems like a no-go for him.
Entitled said:
Bah! They are a corporation with an interest in good PR, not a honest interest in True Progress, therefore I would much rather have a male Doctor. In fact, I care so much about feminism, that I will write a rant about why this is a disastrous idea and this bodyless, eternally changing non-human character absolutely NEEDS to keep materialising as a dude.

First of all, I only have respect for brand new female characters. I feel that those could be doing a lot more for True Progress, than the political correctness brigade stealing the penises of our established iconic characters. You see, it might often happen that a character's appearance, backstory, or even name, or behavior, are reimagined in a reboot, or the whole role filled in by a legacy character, and those can be quite good. But female representation shouldn't be increased through that particular channel, because it's not just ANY re-writing, it's a matter of True Progress.

I have so much respect for the ladies, it is only a sign of my high expectations for them, that while the overwhelming majority of pop-cultural development happens through evolution of pre-existing IPs, I hold them to a higher standard, and only accepting their appearance in the smaller niche of new IPs specifically.
Ha, I love this.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That would be kind of cool, actually, especially if they could pull an actress as good as Tilda Swinton or Helen Mirren. Dr. Who has already broken the rules about how many regenerations he's supposed to get, if I'm remembering correctly; why not change sex as well?

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
ForumSafari said:
PG said:
No reason they can't besides insecure losers who feel a sense of entitlement to something they have no hand in creating.
Then again, no reason they should change his gender besides insecure losers who feel a sense of entitlement to something they have no hand in creating.
LOL and no one else is getting this coz its not the popular veiw.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I can see Tilda Swinton being an excellent Doctor. I think she'd work best as a slightly colder, more enigmatic Doctor, like Ecclestone's. Unfortunately, Moffat's female characters are almost always either extremely irritating, massive sues, or both, so he'd probably fuck it up.

Mikeybb said:
I dunno. Put him in any kind of longcoat and I'm going to be sat there wondering why the fuck Luther is flying around in a Tardis. After the initial weirdness he'd be a great choice though.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Entitled said:
Bah! They are a corporation with an interest in good PR, not a honest interest in True Progress, therefore I would much rather have a male Doctor. In fact, I care so much about feminism, that I will write a rant about why this is a disastrous idea and this bodyless, eternally changing non-human character absolutely NEEDS to keep materialising as a dude.

First of all, I only have respect for brand new female characters. I feel that those could be doing a lot more for True Progress, than the political correctness brigade stealing the penises of our established iconic characters. You see, it might often happen that a character's appearance, backstory, or even name, or behavior, are reimagined in a reboot, or the whole role filled in by a legacy character, and those can be quite good. But female representation shouldn't be increased through that particular channel, because it's not just ANY re-writing, it's a matter of True Progress.

I have so much respect for the ladies, it is only a sign of my high expectations for them, that while the overwhelming majority of pop-cultural development happens through evolution of pre-existing IPs, I hold them to a higher standard, and only accepting their appearance in the smaller niche of new IPs specifically.
Ha, I love this.
Can we have this stickied somewhere?

OT: It's been well established in the lore that regeneration can change everything about you, so I fail to see a lore-related reason not to cast a female doctor.

Can we have Emma Thompson? Make the character a lot more subtle and a chessmaster again like The Seventh. I mean come on:

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Mikeybb said:

The problem here is that Idris would be a GREAT doctor, play it in two episodes, then be killed off and regenerate back to a white guy.

Helen Mirram would be a good choice, I'd love to see Emma Watson play it, but she's really too young for the role.