BBC Exec Wants a Woman to Play Lead in Doctor Who

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
I like this for the fact that it will either cause some sexist fans to reevaluate their beliefs are leave the modern fandom forever, crawling back into their caves. In that case, I hope they go one step further and select a talented actor that's middle aged, brown skin, and what the hell, still sexually orientated to women, so we can clean house on some less than great Whovians. As long as they have a talented writer on board, I won't care about the gender, sexuality, or race of the character as long as tenants of humanity and intellectualism over brute force are used as a guide posts. Here's to the 21st Century!

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
uanime5 said:
Next they'll want a black, lesbian, single mother Dr Who who's also in a wheelchair. Seriously what's wrong with having a male character remain male? Why don't people try making new characters rather than gender or race bending existing characters?
There is nothing wrong with having a male character remain male as there is nothing wrong with having a male character become female because the character so is much more than just having a penis as for instance, intelligence, kindness, the ethics and the occasional lapse in them are all more important to me than if the Doctor can have heterosexual sex with his female companions. Also, they make new characters all the time and it's mostly pretty damn awesome. So to answer your question, the producer is discussing flipping the gender to piss you off. Take a hint.

PG

Apr 2, 2008
ForumSafari said:
PG said:
No reason they can't besides insecure losers who feel a sense of entitlement to something they have no hand in creating.
Then again, no reason they should change his gender besides insecure losers who feel a sense of entitlement to something they have no hand in creating.
Because if there's one thing creative media needs to avoid it's variety and experimentation. I sure am glad that Bob Dylan guy stuck to doing show tunes.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
PG said:
Because if there's one thing creative media needs to avoid it's variety and experimentation. I sure am glad that Bob Dylan guy stuck to doing show tunes.
That still doesn't prove that the idea is a good one, merely that it could be done. Why should they change the lead character in a popular and profitable show? Saying there's no reason not to isn't the same as saying there's a reason to, you need to provide an actual rationale for why they would want to.