BBC Only Showing Half as Much Doctor Who Next Year

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I know it's harping on, but it's the fall in America. It's Autumn in British Television.
Same time of year different words for the different vernaculars. Point is does it really matter, it's like when everyone flipped out over Rory saying gasoline instead of petrol. It's words that mean the same thing just be chill about it.

OT: Really, come on don't halve my Who fix for next year. Bad enough we're doing the split season thing. Why must they insist on continuing to mess with a schedule that didn't need fixing in the first place?

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
Detective Prince said:
Unfortunately I live near the Olympic Stadium. Every morning when I walk my brother to school I know EXACTLY what's going on next year........-.- I'm not looking forward to it at all.
oh man...you have my greatest condolences. Do you think you could move to somewhere safer? Like Glasgow?
It would be great in Glasgow! I could sit with all the Scottish people and moan about what a waste of time London is and how crap Edinburgh is. Although I may run into some relatives there. Oh well it's better than the Olympics. My council keeps telling us to be proud of our borough while they spend 2000 quid on a new logo for when you drive into Newham. -.- Live. Work. Stay is our current slogan. >.> Makes me sick a little. Does no one realise that just the other week there was a drive-by shooting?! Our Council is clearly formed of people who've never actually lived in Newham...Or stayed there for longer than an hour...

Feb 13, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
I know it's harping on, but it's the fall in America. It's Autumn in British Television.
Same time of year different words for the different vernaculars. Point is does it really matter, it's like when everyone flipped out over Rory saying gasoline instead of petrol. It's words that mean the same thing just be chill about it.
It just has the appearance of being rude when you're describing something from one country in another countries vernacular. You wouldn't hear me talking about McDonald's chips, would you?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Baradiel said:
As long as theres ANY Doctor Who, I'm happy.

Although this thing with River Song is a disappointment (won't elaborate. Not sure what the situation is in the US. Not sure how much they've seen yet.)
Doctor Who as far as I remember, airs the same night, or possibly the night after on BBC America. So all Americans like me that have it, can watch it then.

Though my dad is the one that has the channel and I don't live with him, so I have to watch it online. It is usually up on Megavideo.com within a few hours to a day of it airing.

Detective Prince said:
Ugh. Will people stop messing around with the Dr Who schedule? XD
It's the Beeb. They can't not screw schedules up. And you know which five rings will be replacing all the Who next year....

[sub]it's gonna be a bit shit[/sub]
I wish there was a petition somewhere, I don't know there probably is, that will be a plee to have David Tennant light the ceremonial Olympic fire dressed as the 10th Doctor from the episode Fear Her.

I highly doubt it will happen, but a fan can dream, a fan can dream.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Oddly enough, it's the fall for American websites as well.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
It just has the appearance of being rude when you're describing something from one country in another countries vernacular. You wouldn't hear me talking about McDonald's chips, would you?
I'd probably be caught off guard by the switch in terminology but you make a valid point. However yearly seasons aren't something exclusive to certain countries so I think interchanging use between fall and autumn is more than acceptable. After all they also referred to the shortened string of episodes as a season instead of a series like it would be over there and that didn't seem to bother you.(though I'm not in your head so I'm probably wrong about that)

I have to admit that I fail to see how it could be construed as rude. The OP is writing an article for a US based gaming site so of course his television vocabulary is going to differ from that used in the UK. I know that I've read more than my fair share of BBC articles talking about US shows where UK television terminology is used instead of what we say over here. It's not being rude it's just a difference in the vernacular.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Fan-fucking-tastic. Well, I'm still hoping for The 50th anniversary special featuring the return of Paul McGann as the Doctor and his regeneration into Christopher Eccleston. They should even bring back David Tennant. Call the Episode: Three out of Four Ain't Bad...because four actors appear playing the doctor, but only three at any one time. I miss number nine.

Sonic Doctor said:
I wish there was a petition somewhere, I don't know there probably is, that will be a plee to have David Tennant light the ceremonial Olympic fire dressed as the 10th Doctor from the episode Fear Her.

See, something like that would get me to watch the Olympics...okay, just the opening ceremonies, because I hate sports...but still.

boosh-boosh

Feb 9, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
I wish there was a petition somewhere, I don't know there probably is, that will be a plea to have David Tennant light the ceremonial Olympic fire dressed as the 10th Doctor from the episode Fear Her.

^^ THIS. just... this.
and as for the screwing with the schedule... well, it's only what we can expect from the bbc, tbh.
i did read somewhere disreputable (cough cough, metro) that it was something to do with the sfx budget. anyone know if this has a grain of truth to it?

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
Baradiel said:

Although this thing with River Song is a disappointment (won't elaborate. Not sure what the situation is in the US. Not sure how much they've seen yet.)
Doctor Who as far as I remember, airs the same night, or possibly the night after on BBC America. So all Americans like me that have it, can watch it then.

Though my dad is the one that has the channel and I don't live with him, so I have to watch it online. It is usually up on Megavideo.com within a few hours to a day of it airing.

Detective Prince said:
It's the Beeb. They can't not screw schedules up. And you know which five rings will be replacing all the Who next year....

God, I hope that will happen. If it does happen, edible ball bearings for everyone!

OT: A bit disappointing, as I'm already going nuts about the amount of time between now and the next Who. A reunion next year or 2013 would definitely fix that, though.

jimborious

Apr 14, 2009
Detective Prince said:

Ah a fellow Pub Landlord fan, nice to see another one especially considering the state of Broken Facking Britian.

Feb 13, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
I'd probably be caught off guard by the switch in terminology
And that's what comes across as rude. Or at least not partaking in the spirit of the work.

I know it's valid, and I've no problem with CNN's Fall season, but BBC should really have an Autumn season. Equally, CNN's Autumn season would be totally wrong, no matter what side of the Atlantic you're on. The basis of the change between British English and American English was to keep the two languages separate from each other, so it seems a little crazy to use the conflicting word. (The Forth of July is the one time of the year America uses the British way of putting forward the date)

BBC America would be Fall, obviously. It just has that jarring effect whenever I read it.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
Perhaps they're producing fewer episodes in 2012 so they can have a higher budget to do something really spectacular in 2013?
Did anybody else consider that?

But, I've got to admit, its going to be hard going nearly a whole year without my Doctor Who fix.

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
Baradiel said:

They were actually aired the same day... except for the last 3 episodes i think. And yeah the reveal was kinda a disappointment since they really didn't hint at that fact except during that episode.

unacomn said:
I'm hoping for another Doctor Who reunion episode, with Eccleston!
Oh Please do this... Eccleston was my favorite Doctor. It saddened me that he only got one season, but I'm glad he did it. Also I never really liked David Tennant. He grew on me eventually as the character, but he never really felt like The Doctor. He had too many human characteristics and lost that alien feel that Eccleston Had. Matt Smith I like though even though he is over the top with his madness, but i guess that is just the Doctors way of making up for his serious Regeneration.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It might have something to do with Doctor Who's growing international audience, but that's just speculation.
I really hope not. I think it is good that they reduce wait times for American fans but don't start messing with our schedule.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go over there and say by jove a lot.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Baradiel said:

They've seen as much as we have and are probably just as confused.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I'm happy that there will be Who, I'm disappointed that there's so little. However, with the Olympics and stuff I'm not surprised.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Ok, do this. Fine. Make me sad. But bring back the Ninth Doctor. Bring back Christopher Eccleston. And keep Steven Moffat.