"... Because, its faster than Walking!"

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
No one? I've got to be the one to do it? Alright.

Gears of War: Walldodging. Dodge into cover, tap out, dodge slide into the next wall, repeat. Not a skill I'm overly good at, but if you get it right and master it, you can slide across a level much faster than by simply running. It also makes you nigh impossible to hit in multiplayer.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Definitely Batman Arkham City's grapnel boost glide combo. That was the whole point of the series turning sandbox. Grappling the edge of abuilding and then flying into the air at such a fast speed until you opened up your cape, heard the whoosh of the wind, and dove down head first arms to the side pulling yourself up at the last minute for another crazy speed boost, another whoosh, and an extended glide from which to pounce another crook with immense satisfaction. . Sorry if this came out weird: I typed this on my phone.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - The screw attack was my go-to thing for clearing large horizontal distances. While there are chasms which require its use, I'd always try to use it whenever I was presented a corridor to go down. Sometimes I'd time it so that I surge straight across to the other end, sometimes I'd impact some rock or piece of metal and bounce off in the wrong direction, actually costing me time.

Whatever the case, it was fun.

Ed130 said:
Ohh! Force Speed (at least thats what I called it) from KOTOR.
Ah, Burst of Speed.
Then Knight Speed and then Master Speed.

Those abilities are excellent for augmenting melee combat to quickly chop down anything that stands in your way.
Of course, that's only ever a side benefit, isn't it? I can't remember a single playthrough where I didn't spec that power tree for the sole purpose of being lazy.
I don't even know if the higher ranks give you more speed or duration in addition to the combat bonuses, it's just a reassuring psychological illusion that I can whip out something called "Master Speed" to expedite my errands.

Also: the Guardian's Force Jump ability. As soon as a far-off enemy are spotted, do a standard attack with your Lightsaber equipped. You'll instantly get the... "jump" on him, and he'll have to spend one turn switching from a blaster to his melee weapon while you can hack his shins away.
But of course the primary bonus is not having to walk the distance yourself.
Because screw walking.

RadicalDreamer90

May 11, 2009
Wavedashing in just about every fighting game it's in (Tekken 6, Super smash bros melee, MVC3) is always faster then walking and is generally even faster then running at an opponent.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
At least in the first Kingdom Hearts (can't remember if I did it in the others) - dodge-roll EVERYWHERE. It felt a lot faster than walking but looking back I don't know if it actually was...

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
MajorTomServo said:
Anyone who's ever played a 3D Zelda has

HUT HYAT HUT HYAH HUT HUT HYAH HUT HYAH

burned into their brains forever.

Though I don't think rolling is actually faster. It speeds you up mid-roll, but slows you down at the beginning...

This was pretty much my first thought too LOL

"read title"

Zelda. Especially Ocarina of time.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
DMC3.

"EYAHH, EYAHH, EYAHH, EYAHH!"

Stinger is the only way to travel, if you can put up with how silly it looks and the aforementioned EYAHH

Also I think Dark Souls may be faster if you roll a lot when in heavy armour since walking takes forever. Maybe. Might be just about slower than sprinting in some cases. It depends on the armour and stamina you have.
Also, at least in early builds of the game (don't know if they patched it out), when walking in deep water (enough that it would slow you down) you can switch between your weapons constantly and you continue walking at the same pace, ignoring the usual slow slog through the water animation.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Why are people mentioning 3D Zelda when Link's Awakening had you teleport across the entire screen if you just pressed Select at the right time?

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Deadpool has the ability to teleport forward when double jump. I love that ability, it is like an addiction.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Most of any FPS before CoD: THE BUNNY HOP. Or repeated jumping. One of the reasons Counter-Strike 1.6 didn't catch on here too much is the fact that jumping slowed you down when you landed. This prevented bunnyhopping. For an illustration of how this is so much faster than walking, imagine the area around Dust outside the tunnels. There are two walkways between the ramp going down and into the Terrorist side of the map. With proper bunnyhopping, you can JUMP between these two walkways, allowing you to get into position that much faster.

Another one would be God of War. Roll, then cancel the animation by tapping square, then cancel the animation by rolling again. Loading screens in that game were cleverly hidden in the form of long corridors, and this is one of the ways to actually get that "LOADING" message in the bottom right of the screen outside of actually reloading from a file/checkpoint.

Nebnezz

Oct 27, 2010
I remember the half-life mod Natural Selection had a funny way of moving faster. As a marine, walking in a straight line was the fastest, and simultaneously, slowest way to get around. Marines were handicapped with terrible walk speed and the aliens were quick on their feet.

At least until Marines zig-zaged down hallways.

if you pressed left, then right, then left, then right again as you walked, you would walk in a zig-zag and go faster. i didnt think it was true until i tried it and caught up to other marines running down hallways. also, if you ran forward, but were stepping left or right into a wall, you would go faster yet.

I was never sure if these were bugs left by the dev team, or 'features' discovered by the player base

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
As far as I can tell skimming this thread with a bad internet connection... no one has mentioned Ninja Gaiden yet? If not... I roll-jumped everywhere in that game that I couldn't wall run, it was just so much faster

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Kazooie's "Talon Trot" from the first two Banjo Kazooie games. Once I pick that up, Banjo's feet rarely hit the ground.
Yep! Talon-trot everywhere!

Also in Zelda: Twilight Princess rolling was replaced by transforming into wolf form.

Zelda: Majoras Mask had the Bunny-hood hat which practically doubled movement speed/jump length.

Bunny-hopping in Half Life 2

In the KOTOR games I always put a point into Force Speed so I could run from place to place faster. I always activated that ability.

There's heaps...it makes games more accessible to speed-runners so they should keep doing it.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
In Gears of War 3 there's the Retro Lancer, which has a Bayonet charge as a melee ability, and with that you can actually run at a decent clip. It's got the speed of a roadie run, but the deadliness of a knife through the gut! It's also hilarious to bump into a wall while doing it... repeatedly..

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
MajorTomServo said:
Anyone who's ever played a 3D Zelda has

HUT HYAT HUT HYAH HUT HUT HYAH HUT HYAH

burned into their brains forever.

Though I don't think rolling is actually faster. It speeds you up mid-roll, but slows you down at the beginning...
Not just in 3D Zelda but in Minish Cap there is rolling and, a rolling-stab attack that thrusts you across the screen provided there aren't any obstacles in your way. If there are any baddies though, they're basically done in by the attack.

Calibanbutcher said:
The Jetpack in Dark Void
Love that jetpack!

lunavixen said:
the electric glide in Infamous 1 & 2 on the power lines, combine that with the static hover and you were set for anything...
I've never played 2 but rail grinding and, line grinding Infamous gave that game an automatic +5 to the fun factor. I don't know why it was so satisfying to me but...well it just was!

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
"Skiing" in Tribes: Vengeance. It is practically a core gameplay element, and a ridiculous amount of fun when combined with the rocket packs, sliding all around the larger maps. :)

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
ShinyCharizard said:
ResonanceSD said:
LoganN64 said:
ok so, as you may know i play videogames, i have for some time now. one thing that i have come across is some games allow you to travel faster by unconventional means
this fucking thing

- pic -

the cheat for which was "betterthanwalking"
Haha that brings back some memories.
Keep rollin', rollin', rollin' ...

ShinyCharizard said:
Morrowind. Get your acrobatics up and motherfucking jump to the next city.
Yeah, did the bunny style in Oblivion also... love the games!

Cheers for the reminder!

EDIT:

Sorry for not answering the topic, Jedi Academy, also bunny style, or otherwise known as Quake's strafe jumping only in third person.

The Witcher 2's ''KEEEP OOONNN ROLLIN'' method too, that game really needs a sprint function.

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
I've found in Just Cause 2, the only time I'm ever on the ground, it's to attack people or to pick up an object. All you have to do is grapple any surface, and then open a parachute mid way, and you can just fly over everything, pulling yourself along with the grappling hook to make yourself faster.

And it's awesome.