"... Because, its faster than Walking!"

LoganN64

Sep 13, 2010
ok so, as you may know i play videogames, i have for some time now. one thing that i have come across is some games allow you to travel faster by unconventional means.

this actually came up as i was playing a game (Bulletstorm) and i was sliding around and someone came by and asked "why are you doing that?" i and i replied "because its faster than walking and doesnt drain stamina" then that got me thinking: what other games allow you to travel faster than normal without being walking, running or sprinting, and with out penalty of "running out".

i can think of 4 right off the bat:

-Bulletstorm - slide ability

-Guacamelee - chicken transformation and dodge/roll

-Monster Hunter Tri - dodge/roll.... although it wastes stamina, but then again everything you do wastes stamina in that game...

-Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects - Characters Wink and Paragon can both use teleportation as a dodge.

so what about you, what games let you travel faster than normal, outside of a sprint or run button?

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Anyone who's ever played a 3D Zelda has

HUT HYAT HUT HYAH HUT HUT HYAH HUT HYAH

burned into their brains forever.

Though I don't think rolling is actually faster. It speeds you up mid-roll, but slows you down at the beginning...

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Well there's the obvious rolling and z targeting run backwards in Ocarina of time. Beyond that? I think I remember in halo 3 that walking sideways with a held turret was slightly faster than moving forward.

I'm not sure though. It could have just been one of those "hold down a and b to have a better chance to catch pokemon" thing.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Obligatory Zelda rolling technique. Don't know if it actually worked tbh.
There's a few bit in Dark Souls where you're better off just rolling around too. Especially if you got the ninja flip ring.

Oh, and doing mad spins in Sonic games. Usually gets you killed, sure, but... DAT SPEED

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
MajorTomServo said:
Anyone who's ever played a 3D Zelda has

HUT HYAT HUT HYAH HUT HUT HYAH HUT HYAH

burned into their brains forever.

Though I don't think rolling is actually faster. It speeds you up mid-roll, but slows you down at the beginning...
Ninja! And yeah actually it is slightly faster. If you just run straight to hyrule castle from kokiri forest when you first leave, you won't make it, but if you roll you'll make it just in time.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Symphony of the Night. I don't think I've ever seen anyone play where they didn't exclusively use the slide feature to get around.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
DMC3.

"EYAHH, EYAHH, EYAHH, EYAHH!"

Stinger is the only way to travel, if you can put up with how silly it looks and the aforementioned EYAHH

Also I think Dark Souls may be faster if you roll a lot when in heavy armour since walking takes forever. Maybe. Might be just about slower than sprinting in some cases. It depends on the armour and stamina you have.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Can't believe the first post didn't have Vanquish in it.

I mean really, who the hell ever walked in that game when you can rocket slide everywhere?!

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
It's funny, when you really think about it, you're never really walking anyway.
At the least, most games have you in a light jog everywhere you go, which is actually kind of weird because people don't just do that everywhere they go. But we're playing games, we're an impatient bunch.
Anyway.
Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is the Angel-Glide from the new Devil May Cry.
Thing can cover ground really quickly with that baby.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Morrowind. Get your acrobatics up and motherfucking jump to the next city.
<youtube=8Uee_mcxvrw&start=144&end=152&autoplay=1>

I may need help.

OT: Charging is Spyro was unwieldy and often caused delays if you kept hitting things, but I worked at it until I could control a charge like a pro. And then I could move at double speed!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Just though of another one, the parachute and grappling hook combo from Just Cause 2. It's incredibly silly, but man does it cover ground. And you really need to cover ground in that game considering how absolutely massive the map is.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
LoganN64 said:
ok so, as you may know i play videogames, i have for some time now. one thing that i have come across is some games allow you to travel faster by unconventional means
this fucking thing

the cheat for which was "betterthanwalking"

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
I remember in Diablo 2, my sorceress' mana regen was high enough to teleport everywhere.
Anyone who saw what was happening on my screen ought to be issued an epilepsy warning.
(It wasn't quite as bad as starcraft: broodwar at >300 apm though)

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
ResonanceSD said:
LoganN64 said:
ok so, as you may know i play videogames, i have for some time now. one thing that i have come across is some games allow you to travel faster by unconventional means
this fucking thing

the cheat for which was "betterthanwalking"
Haha that brings back some memories.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Kazooie's "Talon Trot" from the first two Banjo Kazooie games. Once I pick that up, Banjo's feet rarely hit the ground.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Bastion has Zelda Rolling

and once you pick up either the ice teleport or the shadow wolf abilities in torchlight 2, regular walking is a chore.

same with diablo/2