Becoming the head of every org in Skyrim is stupid.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
And not just in Skyrim, in Oblivion as well. I am playing through Skyrim at the moment and am really enjoying it (other than the fact that patch 1.3 is crashing the game every 2 mins now)but one of my biggest pet peeves with the game is the fact that you become the head of every organisation.

I had the same problem with Oblivion to.

The only organisation that it makes sense for you become the head of is the Dark Brotherhood, and only because the Night Mother picks favourites. She is willing to see her whole org fail until someone she likes comes along, and generally there is barely anyone left in the Dark Brotherhood after you finish it so it makes sense.

The Thieves Guild, Fighters Guild (Oblivion), The Companions and especially the Mages Guild are all ruined when some senior member has been with the group for decades says to the player 'well you may have only been in the guild for 2 days, but now you are its leader'.

The actions your perform, while notable as the player in my mind do deserve a high rank or a special status within the guild. But as for becoming arch-mage, its just ridiculous. It really ruins the immersion I have in my story.

I recently finished the Thieves Guild, and dialogue comes up where Brynolff says that they have decided you are leader of the Thieves Guild (cause you successfully pulled off 2 legit thieves guild missions?) and I followed the dialogue branch that says no, but it forces you to accept anyway. When Brynolff should clearly be the leader, with Vex and Delvin a close 2nd, and then a million other members before you.

The Mages Guild in Oblivion was particularly bad, you could finish the whole thing without casting a spell, and they make you the arch-mage over dozens of high ranked, experienced, decades old guild members.

I havent done the Mages Guild in Skyrim but I have heard its the same.

Lastly, becoming head of the Companions was absurd. I didn't like the Companions story line at all, and just because you can kill some Hargravens and get through a Dungeon does not make you worthy of leading the dozens of people who are involved in the group.

So for discussion, do you like being absurdly put as the head of every organisation or would you prefer to reach an elevated, honorary position at the end of a guild's story?

I have heard people on here saying they want a story line to become the emperor, all I can say is never let Bethesda hear your opinion. I want the game like Daggerfall, where you just did a lot of missions, but never became the leader of most organisations in High Rock and Hammerfell.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Website is screwing up massively, I don't know what is happening to the thread.

According to what I can see, someone posted on the 1st of Jan 1970 and got a warning lol.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I have no idea what is wrong with the thread, it screwed up. This new website layout does not like google chrome.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
I do somewhat agree. It can break immersion knowing how easy it is becoming guild leader. But if you don't become guild leader, it can take away from the sense of accomplishment.

I think the best way to handle this, and many other problems with TES, is to keep the open world and everything, but make main/guild questlines more streamlined. They need to have a way better storyline, better characters and character development, and they need to be way more epic. Each major questline should feel like a game within a game, rather than random arbitrary fetch missions. The main/guild questlines in Oblivion/Skyrim could almost have been simple little sidequests. They almost feel like sidequests compared to other games, especially when you consider the fact they are meant to be major parts of the game.

The Civil War questline is a good example of this. It barely feels like a war. But I think the current technology is to blame for that. You'd be at 0.001 frames per second if you tried to have 300+ vs 300+ battles, even on top of the line PCs.

That's why I'm hoping they seriously amp up the hardware with the next gen of consoles.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Website is screwing up massively, I don't know what is happening to the thread.

According to what I can see, someone posted on the 1st of Jan 1970 and got a warning lol.
Did you not get the memo on the time warp that has fallen on the Earth. Get off the internet (Internet? What the hell is that?) and grow out your sideburns.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I seriously disliked the fact that just because I had some magic Mcguffin staff and killed some obvious badguy I was deemed worthy as a archmage.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
It actually makes a lot more sense in Skyrim.

The Dark Brotherhood accepts any method of killing be it magic, combat or stealth. They only care about results.
The Companions are a group of heroes, not soldiers or mercenaries, if you're willing to drink mead, brawl and tell stories you're welcome if you have a brave heart.
The Mages Guild, you can join if you're Dragonborn, you've basically got mastery of a long forgotten magic, being the voice. Winterhold seems to have few rules, and people gather just to study, so you're welcome.
The Thieves guild is a bit more difficult but they're more thuggish now, some of their members are more like Warriors like Dirge and the one who was a bandit. Again they care for results.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, and it was also really stupid in Morrow...wait, oh yeah this didn't happen in Morrowind.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
F4LL3N said:
The Civil War questline is a good example of this. It barely feels like a war. But I think the current technology is to blame for that. You'd be at 0.001 frames per second if you tried to have 300+ vs 300+ battles, even on top of the line PCs.
Oh what I would give for an official spin-off made in the Mount and Blade engine. Yes it would be ulgy, but to see a line of a couple of hundred Imperial Legionaires withstand a charge of Thalmor cavalry would be worth it.

Drave

Dec 17, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
Yeah, and it was also really stupid in Morrow...wait, oh yeah this didn't happen in Morrowind.
your sarcasm, while fun, is in this case too ambiguous, please elaborate.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Drave said:
ChupathingyX said:
your sarcasm, while fun, is in this case too ambiguous, please elaborate.
I was just referring to the fact that in Morrowind you couldn't become the head of every faction as they had skill requirements and some factions hated each other.

Edd4224

Jul 5, 2011
It would be better if people in the game responded to you becoming the head of the various guilds. Would lead to some hilarious dialogue options if nothing else.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Edd4224 said:
It would be better if people in the game responded to you becoming the head of the various guilds. Would lead to some hilarious dialogue options if nothing else.
"So, you're the head of the Thieves' Guild now?"

"Yes."

"And the Mage's Guild?"

"Yeah."

"And the Companions?"

"Yes, that's right."

"... I used to be an adventurer like you."

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
It matters in context really.

Quality over Quantity. Take the thieves guild for example

Yes you only pulled off two "Legit" heists... But you were then betrayed, found the real murderer of the old guild leader, killed him (despite him being more skilled then any other member in the guild), returned honor to the guild, reestablished the nightingales, and ended a terrible curse that could've destroyed the entire guild.

Honestly, sure you may not have as many days of experience as them, but at that point, you've done more then enough to make up for it.

Each guild has you do something incredibly, incredibly, difficult, which thus qualifies you to be the leader, despite not having as much 'experience' as it's other members.

At least Skyrim handles it a lot better then Oblivion, where I became Archmage despite only knowing the "Fireball" spell. (Oblivion handled the Magic system really poorly)
Thanks for that.
There is such a thing as an actual spoiler tag.[/i]

OT: Yeah, the mages one is exactly like you said. I only did it because I wanted the rewards it gave and did most of it with only the scantist of spell use.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I wish there would be a return to Morrowind's guild system, where there were skill requirements for advancement, the questline had more than half a dozen individual quests, and becoming leader locks you out of other guilds. I cannot stand the way you can become the head of the College of Winterhold without casting a single spell, the head of the Fighter's guild without ever swinging a weapon, and the head of the Thieves' Guild without ever skulking in the shadows. When any character can complete any guild questline, they all blur together and feel less distinct and special.

That said, the questlines are still fairly enjoyable, so there's that.

butternut

Jul 14, 2010
I've always played Oblivion (and Skyrim, so far) with a strict one main faction per character rule. I always felt that becoming chief and leader of every group under the sun was just plain stupid.

I do miss morrowinds way of handling guilds and factions, like the way that if you wanted to do the mages guild you had to actually be a mage, and a competant one at that.

Another thing I miss from morrowind is the sheer number of factions.

In skyrim you have the Companions, Winterhold College, The Thieves guild and the Dark Brotherhood, and the Imperial Legion/Stormcloaks.

In Morrowind however...

The Fighters/Mage/Thieves Guild.

3 of the 6 great houses were joinable, House Hlaalu, House Redoran and House Telvanni.

The Imperial factions, including the Legion, the Imperial cult and the East Empire Company. Not to mention the Blades.

One of the Ashlander camps.

The Morag Tong and Temple of the Tribunal.

Then if you became a vampire, you could also join any of the 3 separate vampire clans. Aundae, Berne and Quarra.

16 different factions...

TL;DR, There was a lot of shit to do in Morrowind...

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
It matters in context really.

Quality over Quantity. Take the thieves guild for example

Yes you only pulled off two "Legit" heists... But you were then betrayed, found the real murderer of the old guild leader, killed him (despite him being more skilled then any other member in the guild), returned honor to the guild, reestablished the nightingales, and ended a terrible curse that could've destroyed the entire guild.

Honestly, sure you may not have as many days of experience as them, but at that point, you've done more then enough to make up for it.

Each guild has you do something incredibly, incredibly, difficult, which thus qualifies you to be the leader, despite not having as much 'experience' as it's other members.

At least Skyrim handles it a lot better then Oblivion, where I became Archmage despite only knowing the "Fireball" spell. (Oblivion handled the Magic system really poorly)
I don't really agree with this, in all the quest lines.
I made it as Archmage of Winterhold after a very small number of quests (I was very surprised how fast it ended) where I used very little magic at all. Sure it was big and important, and could have been a world-ending type scenario if I failed, but still? You don't become president of the United States because you single-handedly fended off a 100-man assault on the White House. You deserve a hell of a medal and a lot of recognition, but you're in no way qualified to run the country because of your massively-important actions.