Benicio Del Toro Signs On For Multiple Marvel Studios Films

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Benicio Del Toro Signs On For Multiple Marvel Studios Films

Benicio del Toro will appear in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy, and if all goes well he may be a recurring character in Marvel Studios' big budget superhero films.

Deadline reports that roguishly handsome actor Benicio del Toro will join the cast of the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film adaptation. Unlike the addition of Karen Gillan, which we reported on earlier today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124571-Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-Adds-A-Doctors-Companion], the deal del Toro has signed not only places him in Guardians, it also ensures that should the film be a success del Toro could become the next major actor tied to Marvel Studios superhero films for the foreseeable future.

"[Marvel Studios] are keeping his role under wraps, but he's playing a character that is built to be part of future Marvel films, which means he has signed a deal with options that put him into multiple movies," Deadline states.

The big question now is which role del Toro might fill. We have to assume it's a character with extant, canonical potential to appear in future Marvel Studios adaptations, so that alone narrows the possibilities down greatly. Based purely on fan popularity and prior comic book crossovers the two characters most likely to fit this criteria would be Nova and Rocket Raccoon.

The former role seems a stretch for del Toro as Nova is generally depicted as an almost Spider-Man-esque teenager (who just happens to have intergalactic-level superpowers). The latter role however, could be a solid fit for the actor, as he'd really only need to provide the voice for what we have to assume would be a CGI-animated, surly, heavily-armed rodent.

While Rocket Raccoon hasn't had much contact with the Marvel Universe outside of his own little space-based pocket, the character is instantly attractive to potential and existing fans - everyone likes anthropomorphic raccoons - so why wouldn't Marvel want to somehow shoehorn the angry raccoon into future Avengers films?

All of the above however is speculation. Odds are solid I've forgotten some tertiary character that would fit del Toro like a glove. Just as soon as Marvel Studios wants to fill us in, we'll bring you more.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/benicio-del-toro-takes-lead-role-in-marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy/]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Rocket Raccoon voiced by Benicio Del Toro? That's insanely brilliant. Still, I'd have loved to see him as a villain.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I dunno Benicio does have a striking resemblance to Adam Warlock... but he might also work as Rocket's voice actor, I really hope they don't turn him into a lovable raccoon. Rocket is one hell of a badass raccoon

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
He could be Warlock, he might even be Thanos. Who knows. Either way, it's exciting.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ZZoMBiE13 said:
He could be Warlock, he might even be Thanos. Who knows. Either way, it's exciting.
My first thought was Adam Warlock as well, but I could also see him do the voice of Rocket.

No way is he doing Richard Rider unless they want another Nic Cage Johnny Blaze travesty.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Interesting. Personally, I'm pulling for him playing Captain Mar-Vell.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
My money is on either Adam Warlock of Thanos. Might be Captain Mar-vell but we shall see.

Either way, Guardians of the Galaxy is picking up speed with their latest castings. I heard they even got Glenn Close for a part.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I'm betting on Rocket Raccoon for no other reason than the fact that Benicio Del Toro is one of those odd caliber of actors that's so well known that their own celebrity can often overshadow whatever role they play. Like Jack Nicholson, Johnny Depp, and Nicholas Cage, he's been in so many films that his mannerisms are instantly recognizable. So throw him behind a CGI face and this is no longer an issue. Otherwise this would almost be akin to Marvel pulling a "Mr. Freeze".
<--oh and Benicio in makeup, for your consideration.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
I really hope his character dies in the first film and then only appears in flashbacks. Just so this news doesn't get in the way of any perils his character might face.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Arctic Black said:
Anybody else thinking MAYBE Dr Strange?
Yes. When the amulet was shown in Odin's treasure room, my first thought was Viggo Mortens..Mortenness...Aragorn would be perfect. Since then I've wavered. Now though today, Del Toro seems perfect.

I wish to raise the point of order that despite being an infrequent poster- I was the first on Escapist to call Bane as the villain for the third of Nolan's Batman trilogy. Unless someone did before me. But I don't think they did. I'm pretty sure there was a thread right after The Dark Knight speculating on 'the next villain' and I was the only one that said that Bane was the only villain left that was non-magical that could be adapted for realism.

Unfortunately, I was right. Since seeing DKR, I wish I wasn't. But now I am calling it- 80% that Benicio Del Toro will be Stephen Strange, 18% that he will voice Rocket Raccoon, 2% that he will voice Thanos. 0% that he will be either Raccoon or Thanos in full live-action with make-up. If I am wrong on Thanos though, I say 99% certain Del Toro will do semi-live-action doing voice and motion capture for Thanos like Andy 'Gollum' Serkis, based on what I heard: he did so for his role in The Wolfman remake. The other 1% says Doug Jones does Thanos' body and they dub Del Toro's voice in. LOL silver surfer.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
rhizhim said:
i think he'd end up playing dr. strange

dont know why, though.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I heard that Dr. Strange and Hank Pym were part of Marvel's phase 3 plans anyway. That would be a good place to introduce him.