Best 80's Cartoon

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
I wouldn't say it's the "best" per say, but I watched Visionaries a few months and was massively surprised how great and mature the plotlines were for an 80's kidws show. Nowadays adult cartoons are commonplace as our generation grew up with them, but back then cartoons were strictly for kids and yet Visionaries not only kept a real continuity throughout the series, but also tackled some very mature topics and put a thoughtful spin on plots (such as when Ectar an ex-detective had to steal a gem from Reekon an ex-theif, thus trading roles with each other).

Great stuff, shame there were only 13 episodes made!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Mysterious cities of gold" comes to mind. Also, to a lesser extent, "TWins of Destiny".

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The ones I watched, clearly. I can't choose. I don't have the capacity for ONE favorite. My answer would just be a long list.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I've watched very few 80's cartoons. So I guess I'll go with Jem. That one was truly outrageous.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
inu-kun said:
X-Men, no argument.
The X-Men cartoon debuted on October 31st, 1992, and was a product of the far superior 90's era of cartoons.
/arguement

Still, I'd be inclined to agree with you otherwise, but since I can't, I'm gonna have to go with the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. Never was a huge fan of the franchise, but that cartoon was the tits.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Dogtanian and the three Muskehounds, because who doesn't love dogs with swords.

Baffle said:
Thundercats, if that was the eighties.
Oh yeah, another one that watched for Cheetara. Does Mrs Baffle have to get out the costume on Sunday mornings?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I'm gonna toss in the suggestion for Inhumanoids. It was essentially a mini-series for toys as I don't think the "show" was longer than 120 minutes total. They broke it up into 12 episodes I think.

First off, the toys are scary as hell [http://img05.deviantart.net/7fc5/i/2009/196/4/b/inhumanoids_group_shot_by_el_macho_muchacho.jpg].

Second, I'll let this clip give you an idea of what the show was like.
Imagine seeing this on Saturday morning as a little kid.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
thaluikhain said:
"Mysterious cities of gold"
Loved that and Ulysses 31, don't think we ever got the whole of either though in the Midland of the UK

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hoplon said:
Loved that and Ulysses 31, don't think we ever got the whole of either though in the Midland of the UK
Ulysses 31 was shown on the BBC in full around 85/86. I remember Mysterious cities of gold being broadcast a few years later but I was 15 by then and longer watched cartoons.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
albino boo said:
Hoplon said:
Ulysses 31 was shown on the BBC in full around 85/86. I remember Mysterious cities of gold being broadcast a few years later but I was 15 by then and longer watched cartoons.
I was watching the reruns a couple years later of Ulysses anyway, would only have been 5 or 6 on the first run which would explain not remembering the complete run.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Baffle said:
If anyone says Moomins they're dead to me.
Which one are we talking about, because there are a couple of versions. The 90's one was very good.

OT: Dungeons and Dragons

It never seemed to go anywhere (like every other 80's cartoon), but the characters were varied and had a certain depth, it wasn't a black and white depiction of Good vs. Evil, and it didn't shy away from some fucked up things, like Hank's face melting off.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Flash Gordon the cartoon was pretty good, that must have been early 80s.

Baffle said:
If anyone says Moomins they're dead to me.
Dont be a

Well I thought it was funny, I'll just leave now

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
OT: Dungeons and Dragons

It never seemed to go anywhere (like every other 80's cartoon), but the characters were varied and had a certain depth, it wasn't a black and white depiction of Good vs. Evil, and it didn't shy away from some fucked up things, like Hank's face melting off.
Didn't they turn the kids into the opposite classes that you'd expect them to be? Like, the bookish nerd became a knight instead of a mage, and the 80's All-American-Hero kid became a thief instead of a paladin or something?